Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Irish Comedians

Options
  • 18-01-2024 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

So we have a unfunny Irish comedian

What about funny Irish comedians?

I think Chris Kent is very funny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Francis McM

An oxymoron. No such thing as a funny Irish comedian.

Nah, in fairness Kiely and your man Conan O'Brian from America were pretty funny and witty when they had a bit of a double act going on the Late Late there last week. The best Late Late in many many years.

Tommy Tiernan is not bad at times also.

Dara O'Briain used to be good, not so good now in my opinion.

The rest: waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Aisling Bea is great.

David O’Doherty is great live.

Dylan Moran’s earlier stuff is incredible but he appears to be battling with personal demons for quite some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

There’s a lot of great young Irish comedians out there these days.

Justine Stafford, Michael Fry, Tony Cantwell, Shane Dan Byrne, Ally Ryan, Killian Sunderman, Martin Angolo, Síomha McQueen, Giles Brody, Emma Doran and Peter McGann…to name but a few.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

Good list except Emma Doran is as funny as a dead puppy

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I saw John Colleary live in the Stags Head and he was brilliant. It was a good crowd and nice small basement venue. Some people are just naturally funny and he has that gift. Likewise Jimeoin is just naturally funny. Michael Redmond ( aka Father Stone) is similar. Just naturally funny people. Pat Short and John Kenny too are like that. I think to see D'Unbelievables live at their peak in the 90s would've been amazing.

People criticise Jason Byrne a lot and I've never seen him live but on the Doireann Garrihy podcast he was hilarious. He was just talking about growing up in Ballinteer and his dad and it was just very funny.

Dylan Moran "Monster" standup is world class standup material. It holds up with some of the best stand up sets ever like Pryor or Eddie Murphy. He has a unique style and character but with proper jokes. He probably peaked then though.

Tommy Tiernan and Hector are excellent on their podcast. I only listened to the first few though. Hector has brilliant stories and Tommy's good at riffing.

Dara O'Brien, David O'Doherty, Aisling Bea, Chris Kent, Ardal O'Hanlon, Andrew Maxwell, Eleanor Tiernan, PJ Gallagher, Maeve Higgins, Joanne McNally are all pretty decent but not amazing. We really produce a lot of good standard comedians. Worth seeing live but I wouldn't class them as amazing.

Jarlath O'Regan is ok. His material is very cliched I find. Just about Irish culture and drinking and mammies a lot. Likewise Des Bishop. There's a guy David Nihill on Tiktok who is similar also. Too much about being Irish. Foyle, Arms and Hogg are similar also.

Ed Byrne and Neil Delamere irritate me for some reason.

Daithi O'Se isn't a comedian but I find him very funny.

Post edited by orangerhyme on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...yea moran really seems to be struggling at the moment, poor chap, in his day, he was incredible....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Yes Chris Kent is great,I'm going g to see him open for Frankie Boyle tomorrow night at a sold out (2500 seat) show.

I haven’t seen Colgan live, was great in ‘Hardy Bucks’.

I only listed young comedians I’ve seen live, I get that there are ones who put up online sketches but doesn’t translate to thr stage but I enjoyed that lot.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Pat Short

see tiernan for the first time in the 90's, he was absolutely on fire, he certainly has declined since, ive very little interest in him anymore, even though his tv show can be good

Someone I know saw him recently and said the same thing. Just kinda riffs on things but not enough quality prepared material. He's still a funny guy on his podcast though.

They said John Colleary was the support act and much better.

I've seen Owen Colgan live a few times and he's very hit and miss,when he's good he's very good and the Hardy Bucks (especially the youtube early stuff) is hilarious.

I'm not mad into the viral vid comedians and a lot of them seem to get stand up gigs based on it.More often than not they haven't crafted proper stand up skills and it doesn't work.

We're lucky enough to have one of the best comedy clubs in the country in Mayo so we get to see all the up and comers and the bigger names aswell.

Good live comedy is a great night out.

I was involved in the running of a comedy night for a while. Very much aimed at new comedians or slightly more established ones trying to hone some new material.

Listen, it’s very tough to to put yourself out there and try and make people laugh. Takes courage.

I actually booked Alison Spittle for one of her first gigs. You could see she was raw but that the talent was there. The worst was usually some loud and vulgar Jackeen who was probably told by his mates in the pub that he was hilarious and that he should try standup. Nearly always died on their arse.

yea definitely one of the hardest forms of art, takes some balls to stand on a stage, seen a newbie bottle it on one of their first gigs, felt for the poor chap...

2 comedians I haven’t seen live, but would like to, are Emily Ashmore and Shane Clifford.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

Bernard Casey, have seen him a couple of times. You'd need to let a good bit of time between gigs though or his Nephew/Local Gossip characters could get repetitive.

Mike Morgan, saw him a few years back in the Hibernian Hotel in Mallow (his hometown) and he was very good.

John Colleary was very funny when I saw him support Tommy Tiernan. He was who we talked about on the way home, not Tommy although I do love the THL Podcast he does.

Laura O'Mahony, another Cork comedian is very good - she's doing a podcast with Olympic walker Rob Heffernan called RedRaw, well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I'm not much into standup comedy myself (only been to a handful of live acts), but it's refreshing to see an aficionado post based on actual, extensive live experience, rather than the usual thing we see on threads like this of people dismissing comedians based on clips they've seen on YouTube or Facebook or whatever.

There's a completely different dynamic in a live setting, and something that could have you howling with laughter in a dark theatre with a few hundred other people might leave you completely stony faced if you just come across it doom scrolling while sitting on the jacks at home.

• Advertisement

John Colleary might be the best stand up in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't know how Shane isn't bigger than he is. His videos and pre comedy online content are some of the best things produced by an Irish person, just with a single camera in his house.

His podcast was incredibly funny before he stopped it. Was probably the favourite amongst my friends group for a while but didn't get huge traction.

Now he doesn't seem to grow too much and people on the scene who are not funny and just trying really hard to be famous get more traction than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Out of these I would say that Peter McGann is the only one I've seen who gets good laughs out of me. Cantwell is good but I didn't like his stage show compared to his early podcasts which are great. Shane Dan Byrne is okay. I got a good laugh out of Kevin McGahern opening for Tony Cantwell before. Angolo is good at introspective comments but maybe lacks the knockout punchlines.

Peter McGann deserves applause for winding up Conor McGregor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It’s hard to be creative for an extended period of time. A lot of comedians will start off in their 20’s full of piss and bile, but then they make money, have a few kids, start appearing on panel shows, and they lose their edge.

Reminds me of this:

New comics have it much tougher these days. They have to come up with new material extremely fast to stay relevant and with modern recording it’s hard for them to “polish” their act in various venues.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Robert Jackson

Dave Allen was the best

• Advertisement
Advertisement