Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Fit - Sky Motors

Options
  • 17-01-2024 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello all - we are looking to buy a second car for herself, just a small run around. Have been looking at a 2018 Honda Fit (Jazz) from Sky Motors off the Naas Road.

Any advice with these cars or dealers? The cars are all Jap imports, automatic with low mileage. Would there be any issues getting parts in the future if needed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭User1998

I think theres someone here who always advises against them because a replacement gearbox is near impossible to get hold of. Think it might have been @Hellrazer but could be wrong.

Generally speaking tho most Jap imports are really easy getting parts despite rumours stating the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭cobham

I have a Honda Jazz 2015 and very happy with it. Never had anything go wrong just regular services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Maaate

Thats interesting - I'll look into the gearbox replacement, cheers

Cheers, thanks for the reply. We did really like the car, lots of space in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭cobham

I appreciate the back seats that tip up and make for large tall space. It has air conditioning and a CD player, rear camera and several sensors and bluetooth link to phone... lots to like!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yep - you need to check the VIN -GP1 is a standard CVT gearbox - no issues with them at all - same gearbox as the Euro Jazz, Insight so no issues getting parts for them but Ive never seen one fail ever.

GP5 is a dual clutch system and Ive seen loads of them fail - clutch packs are failing in them. And they are around 3000 euros so an expensive fix.

The particular gearbox wasnt used in any Euro models so the clutch packs have to come from Japan - weeks to months wait on them if you need one. The 2018 is more than likely a GP5 and honestly Id avoid it purely because you have very little known history on them - clutch pack could last years but it could also go in a month. If you do buy it get a gear box oil change done straight away - its special Honda Gear oil - Think its called DW1 so any old crap wont do it which is why I reckon they are failing - wrong oil used and its burning out the clutch packs.

The lads in Sky motors are sound - I used to service some of their imports and do software updates etc on them / check hybrid batteries etc. Since our place closed I dont know whos doing their servicing but just make sure if its serviced its done with genuine oil filter and genuine Honda hybrid engine oil - not 5w30 or 0w20 - has to be hybrid oil from Honda.

Thanks Hellrazer, that's really great information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Fabio

I would take the advice about the particular engine and gearbox oil very seriously. There are far too many out there dumping in any stuff into the engine of a lot of cars and while some cars don't mind, others are very particular.

Alfa Romeo and Fiat Mutiair petrol turbos are very pernickety on their oil too. Has to be the absolute correct spec, otherwise the multiair variable valve timing units fail.

With the Honda Fit it sounds even more pernickety! I have family members who have a 2012 Fit with the CVT box and all of the mod cons. Heated seats and all. They love it and it's never once given them an issue.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The Fit is a great little car. And Id say theres loads of happy owners of the GP5 out there - its just when I worked in Honda I saw so many clutch packs gone. Sometimes an oil change with the proper oil fixed them. In other cases they were too far gone.

My own car is a 2014 Honda Insight Jap Import with the cvt box - I do a gear oil change every 40k and an Oil change every 10k and its never missed a beat.

I was going to buy a Vezel(Hrv) but it has the same problems as the Fit with the DCT box so I decided to hold on to the Insight for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fargham

Hi @Maaate ,

Did you eventually got the car? I am in the same spot of choosing an automatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 HondaEnthusiastIreland

Hey, have you decided on the car? I can provide some info on Honda Hybrids if interested.

Advertisement