Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South from Dublin. M9 or N81.

Options
  • 17-01-2024 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Which is better, safer? Not in a hurry. Thank you in advance.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What part of Dublin are you coming from and what's your final destination

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Adenzeno

Central or SW central Dublin, to Bunclody.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

M9 vastly - incalculably - safer; likely faster also.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

M9 for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Adenzeno

Thank you. It is a Tollway, correct? Not worried about that, just curious. We are planning and mapping routes. Driving on the left will be, um, interesting..🙏🙏😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mulbot

M9 to Carlow south exit, down into Ballon then Bunclody

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, the M9 is free.

If you have never driven in Ireland before, stick to the motorways as much as possible and just pay the tolls when you need to - they aren't expensive. Many of the N roads are terrible in parts, including the N81.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If the weather is good, and you are driving between 10am and 4pm take the N81, otherwise use the M9

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

M9 infinitely safer- the N81 is a poor winding route for much of it with limited overtaking, can be narrow and bendy. Is quite scenic though if not in a rush. But if used to driving on the other side possibly not a great option either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I do love driving the N81- especially the bit coming out of tallaght around crooksling in autumn time.

But yeah for safety M9 all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I would agree with that statement for a regular Irish driver but as the driver in this case has little experience of driving on the left, I'd say go the motorway, regardless of the time or the weather.

I was invited to a January wedding in Co. Carlow a few years ago and drove down the N81 in sub-zero temperatures. Never again!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

N81 is much higher risk for about the same travel time.

M7/M9 is ten times safer to drive.

Advertisement