Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build first, ask later.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

No has happened for years. I can't find the information now but a couple built a huge house during the boom before and ended up having to knock it down.

It's happened loads of times over the year, long before the housing crisis and long before the Celtic Tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Schorpio

If there are good reasons given for refusing permission, why are so many people disregarding those reasons?

A 'good' reason is not universal, and if you are on the wrong side of it (i.e. you have your permission denied) then you'll likely disagree with the reasons outlined by the Planners.

That doesn't (or shouldn't) give you the right to build whatever you want.

Interesting that the Murray's make an appearance in that article. There is a longstanding thread on here tracking their saga. I particularly like how they are quoted as 'regretting' their decision - but evidently not to the extent that they will now comply with the law and knock the house down. "We regret that we built the house without planning, but may we keep the house please"........!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭BrianD3

People are thick, brazen cnuts and county councils are, with some justification, regarded as a joke. People fear Revenue. They don't fear Councils. The figures in that article show that applications for retention are usually granted - and not just in cases where there have been minor deviations.

"Data released by Sligo County Council under a Freedom of Information request showed that since 2019, nearly 40 retention applications relating to one-off houses have been approved.

Some were houses that differed from planning permission already granted, while others were houses built without any permission"

Also, we have the likes of Niall Collins TD and Damien English TD "forgetting" what property they own or where they live when applying for planning permission and getting away with it which undermines the system. I look forward to Damien English's house being bulldozed - nah, not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

I saw that article and wondered how they distinguished between retention applications for unauthorised developments, and retention applications for works that originally were exempt, but then required permission as part of some subsequent development. There's nothing wrong with the second category, as if the overall application gets refused, the original works are still exempt. But, are they being included in this category of unauthorised retention applications? It might make the problem look bigger than it is, if they are ...

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Realistically, they're not gonna come in with bulldozers and tear down these houses are they?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Remember the guy who had the massive palace at the end of the road in Co. Meath? this was maybe 4 years back? I am not taking sides but the County council wouldnt give him permission (Dont know the grounds) and dont know if they refused planning permission before?. Either way he built and both parties were entrenched for 10 years in a dispute over the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Very possibly.

The greater the number of cases arising, the more likely they will be made an example of.

But don't be tempted to have too much sympathy for such people, they knew exactly what they were doing, in the finest Irish tradition of asking not for permission, but forgiveness.

These tighter planning laws, especially on one-off housing, are there to try and protect the land and ecology for future generations and to reduce the inefficient ribbons of infrastructure that we see.

Without severe consequences, there would be a planning free-for-all, or plannarchy, if you will.

Advertisement