Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubman of the year 2023....

Options
  • 17-01-2024 7:26am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭

..... it has been all down hill from there. And sadly it has been. Having reached the pinacle of my cycling career I have unfortunately nose dived off a cliff. Visiting a physio on a regular basis after doing some decent damage to my rotator cuff, I have put on 15kg in weight, my left hip is now getting sore so have another thing to bring to the physio. The pain in my shoulder was so bad that I couldn't even get my award I was so hopped up on painkillers.

So realistically, this year will not involve racing at all AFAIK. I simply don't have the time or energy, so I am going to focus on getting back into good health. Not going to try any fad diets, just eat broadly more healthy than I have been and cut down on some of the sh1t.

I'd appreciate any links to good stretching and movement routines, also building up weights in the house as I don't have time for a gym. Also recommendations on healthy but tasty pack lunches, have to pack in the Chicken fillet rolls, I suspect, alongside my injury, it maybe one of the defining factors in my downfall.

So starting stats are :

Weight: 95kg

BP: 130/90

Resting HR: 60bpm

Average Blood Glucose 8.5mmol/L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Tuna, sweet corn, cheese toastie. Prepare the sambo with cheese then add the tuna/sweetcorn/mayo at work and put into sandwich toaster.

Cook dinner and put extra on. Bring the extra to work next day for lunch - do this regularly with Bolognese, lasagna, creamy pasta, rice/curry. Protein is your friend here. You can add more with chicken from deli section

Porridge for breakfast, add in some protein powder or have half a protein yogurt.

Bagel and cream cheese for snacks at work/home. Rice cakes with peanut butter also hit the spot. Eat fruit as well.

Nuts mix for nibbling on. Water fills you as well, so drink water when hungry.

I regularly do this routine for stretching

for strength training, bodyweight movement will do the job if done regularly

Squats, single leg deadlifts, reverse lunges, split squat, push up, decline push up, planks, hollow holds, Superman's, mountain climbers

The main difficulty with home workouts is getting enough pulling exercises to balance the pushing exercises - rows, chin ups

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Come and pick up your award or I'm taking it back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'll grab it on Tuesday or Friday, let me know what suits best

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So a fortnight in with minor changes to eating habits:

Weight: 90kg (held over a few days)

BP: 125/90 (not really a change of note)

Resting HR: 60bpm (no change)

Average Blood Glucose 8.5mmol/L (no change)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Try early spins with no breakfast. No snacking late the night before.

Try and get all your meals to the 1/3 ratio

One third protein, one third carbs, one third veg especially green veg.

Limit dessert to the weekend. Stop snacking late in evening

Batch cook meals on a Sunday for the days you need to train so you can prefuel for your ride or it's ready for straight after your ride

Tortellini is a great cookedmeal ready in mins after a spin. Add in some cottage cheese or chicken and pesto

Bring more salad stuff to work, homemade Caesar salad is great - cook 2/3 chicken fillets for 2 days worth of lunch, along with home made croutons and bacon bits. Little gem lettuce. Add some dressing, parmesan and away you go

Overnight oats - find a recipe that suits you and use it frequently. Don't add too much sweetener

• Advertisement
Advertisement