Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self directed pension plans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,340 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Trying to second guess market trends and movements is a recipe for disaster. That's what Zurich mean when they advise prospective customers that that scheme 'should be considered a high-risk investment.' They also point out that it is aimed at 'experienced investors'.

If you're more than 10 years off retirement, put your money in a managed fund and leave the day to day investment decisions to the professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Australia has self managed superannuation as an option and they now comprise almost a third of the funds invested (AU$869 billion) and over a million Australians manage their own funds. One reason they went in this direction was the outrageous fees 'professionals' were charging. They even run education courses for people who want that.

The performance of the self managed funds has been found to be on par, or better, than professionaly managed funds.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I spent over three decades in the financial services sector and in my experience most people who make their own investing decisions are lucky if they end up with the amount they put in in the end. So I'd be very interested in see the reference material you have for that last statement.

And this in particular:

To conduct this annual research, the SMSF Association has once again engaged the University of Adelaide to examine the overall financial performance of self-managed super funds (SMSFs) compared to APRA-regulated funds.

This research contributes to the existing evidence on the strong financial performance of the SMSF sector.

It extends the research completed by the University of Adelaide for the 2017–19 period, and again shows SMSFs perform on par with, or better than, APRA funds in some financial years.

The taxation system in this country is not conducive to the evolution of financial sophistication. I am not surprised at your having doubts.

Well this seems to be sponsored research off the back of independent research... and what it finds is that it may be on a par with managed funds... But that is nothing to write home about as Australian funds do not perform particularly well. Their conversation rates are around 4% where as Swiss supervised and managed funds have a conversion rate of around 6.8%.

And to correct a couple of things, I did not say I have doubts and I have no worked in the Irish financial services sector and am not subject to the Irish tax system. As for financial sophistication, that has very little to do with poor performance on the part of individual investors. Mentality plays a major part as does poor portfolio construction combined with a lack of knowledge and data hindering accurate performance and attribution analysis.

• Advertisement

The performance of the self managed funds has been found to be on par, or better, than professionaly managed funds.

So this is a win-win situation with no losers. That's efffectively what you're saying.

Meaning that nobody who administered his or her own fund ...

1. Panicked on a crash or blip in the markets, moved all of their money into cash or other conservative funds and missed the rebound?

2. Decided to ride a boom in commercial property and got badly burned when the market dipped? Worse, property funds got frozen with no withdrawals allowed (has happened here) and the investors couldn't move their money into safer funds.

Research that is paid for by an interested party is not worth the paper it's written on.

I am not familiar with Swiss pension funds. Upon the death of the pension owner, is the principle returned to the beneficiaries of their estate tax free, as would be the case with an Australian SMSF that 'only' manages 4%?

"Research that is paid for by an interested party is not worth the paper it's written on."

That must make two of us who avoid taking drugs made by pharmaceutical companies, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,294 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

So... If there are no other options suggested, I'll call Zurich tomorrow to find out more details

• Advertisement

Before they can be unleashed on the general public, drugs have to be approved by state regulatory bodies (the FDA in the US), not by the pharmaceutical companies which developed them.

Completely barmy comparison.

The Pharmaceutical companies pay for the clinical trials of their products and it's therefore paid research by a beneficiary, and it's that paid research which the regulatory bodies rely on when making their determinations.

The other major funders of biomedical research are the for-profit pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical equipment industries, which have outspent NIH in recent years. The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) reported that in 2003 its member companies (which include most of the large biotechnology companies as well as all the major pharmaceutical companies) spent $27.4 billion on R&D performed in the United States and another $5.8 billion on R&D performed abroad (PhRMA, 2004).

The system relies on the assumed academic integrity of the researchers. You believe that the Adelaide University researchers integrity was compromised by being paid, so careful what pills you swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 FlipFlopAgain

Aviva offer something similar, called SDIO.

Considering how many managed pension plans for people close to retirement lost significant money recently by having a large portion of the portfolios invested in zero interest bonds, which tanked once the ECB/Fed started raising rates, it is IMHO legitimate for a customer to look for alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Many years ago, I saw people who went 33% AIB, 33% Bank of Ireland, 33% Anglo, and various other 'investments' that seemed to be based off nothing more than a couple of newspaper headlines or the fact that they liked the company's product

There's other providers who offer this service, not just Zurich. You'll need to look at the cost, service levels and access to market you want to play with

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Was it Gay Byrne or Pat Kenny who told how the 'best' financial advisors were telling them to put everything into Irish financial shares?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Heard of a fellow who worked for Tullow Oil and had 300k invested with them in 2019. Lost his job and his hole in 2020.

Putting money in individual stocks is only for those who are constantly monitoring their investments.

I think Brendan Burgess was on TV on one occasion telling people to fill their boots up with them! A big part of the problem is that people take advice targeted at large economic blocks like the US or Euroland and apply it to Ireland ignoring all the basic difference between say Euroland and small economy on the edge of Europe. The Irish banks were and still are basically building societies and when you invest in them you are investing in the property sector and there should be no surprise at all that you will get wiped out when things go south in that sector. Especially if you ignore the practice of keeping property and like asset classes at a round 6% or 7% of the portfolio.

Investors in Ireland need to appreciate they live in Euroland when it comes to making investing decisions. And the means that when you apply the general tenants of investing to your portfolio you won't end up with many Irish stocks in play because they are basically the "penny stocks" of Euroland.

I think both of them had ridiculously bad investments

To give a flavour for Irish investing, most pension providers no longer offer Irish equity funds due to the small range of available investments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 FlipFlopAgain

It was very common up until the GFC for Irish people to have a lot of money in bank shares. I know of one person whose parents' pension was wiped out in the crash because of this. I know of a solicitor acting for a client who sold a large amount of land in the mid 2000's. The solicitor took advice on what the client should do with the money, and the advice he got (I forget from whom) was to put it all in bank shares. Fortunately, in this case, the solicitor didn't trust the advice and left the money on deposit instead.

I pointed out earlier that there are options for self directed pension funds, and there are legitimate reasons for using them. But since I'm at least 9 years from retirement (and probably realistically 15 years from retirement), I'm happy to leave most of my own money in an MSCI World Index tracker fund. I've a small bit in a Euro tracker index and a small bit in a default fund from the pension provider. When I get closer to retirement, I may wish to have more flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭richardbradley

To actually answer the question for you, yes there are other providers - most of the big brokers - e.g. DAVY will allow you to set up a personal PRSA account - I think the charge is 0.75%pa with Davy -then the account allows you to pay into it during the year and buy and sell whatever investments within it you would like very similar to a regular trading account.

The thread seems to have digressed into whether or not its a good idea. That depends on how you invest - if you do you research and pick the right balance of low cost market tracking funds with the right exposure to the right sectors and parts of the globe, and rebalance regularly, hold your nerve on market dips etc then you can achieve what you want - the problem many here are highlighting is that for most people they can't actually do this and they end up spending more time over it and making less money.

What would you gain over having a professional fund manager, someone who actually knows their stuff and is paid to do this stuff, managing the fund for you - diversifying, rebalancing, holding their nerve and more?

My biggest problem with Irish funds providers is the lack of any reliable performance and attribution reporting. I challenged one advisor about this recently and he went round and round circles neither told us how or if he did any kind of research on the funds....

I can teach anyone the how part, but I can't give them the nerve to actually execute it. And there in lies the biggest disadvantage of managing your own money. Most people will not have a problem coming up with a list of good companies to invest in, fewer will have the skills to identify a good price to buy at and even fewer will have the nerve to hold on and double down when the going gets tough.

And it is the same for fund managers, they don't do nearly as well when they are managing their own money. From my peer group (all retired now), I'd say we did about 2% less on annualised basis over say a 30 year period.

Well we do cover pensions on this forum and this kind of stuff is not really addressed else where. So as long as we don't venture into stock picking etc.... I'm happy to let it continue until it runs it's course.

Irish pension fund managers have a tendency to not stray far from the benchmark; underperformance is feared more than they desire outperformance. All of which essentially means active costs for passive performance.

Where are you finding this information on the benchmarks? Because last time around the advisor I challenged came up with nada....

It was from an article a few years ago. I don't remember which newspaper it was in, and it's proving difficult to Google.

• Advertisement

Somebody used to produce quarterly reports showing the 3/5/10 year returns on all the pension funds sold here. Finfacts.ie used to archive these.

Is this a thing of the past?

Advertisement