Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check the Register, can you vote?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Surely if everyone had to jump online to register even if they are already registered there would be massive ad campaigns letting people know.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

One would have thought, question is why do they try and garner your personal info such as PPS, Eircode and DOB. The country council have no right to this detailed personal info.

We already have a robust voting system with no reported issues. You are required to present a valid state form of ID at the polling stations.

Also can the council be trusted to safeguard all this personal info, anybody remember HSE cyber attacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Waldo99

How frequently have you been requested to present valid ID when voting?

I don’t recall ever being asked for anything beyond a polling card.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It has been clarified.

Storm in a teacup.

If it keeps Duffy occupied for a day or two and reduces the chance of there being another "funny" Friday it's all good.

How long before Duffy takes a wage cut I wonder? With Tubs gone he is the top earner.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

Every time I have voted I have had to present my driver's licence.

Let's just say that the original caller to the show had not uncovered this 'error' by the Electrol commission how many people would have been duped into providing all of their personal details or worse yet how many people would have arrived at the polling station to discover their name has been removed, bit late then to rectify with such important elections coming.

Something really stinks with this considering the latest out of Brussels with the new push for a Digital Identity Wallet linked to all your sensitive personal info / activities, yes it's coming folks.

Let's say as a citizen you are deemed to be an undesirable by the authorities, oh let's say you object (by peaceful means) to your community being flooded with foreign migrants and you get arrested under our forth coming hate speech laws, what services could be denied to you if the authorities have access to all of your sensitive personal details at the click of a button?

Wonder will this be raised in the dail? will the opposition parties call for an investigation? will the minister responsible have to resign? will a general election be brought forward as the current government have broken the social contract with the people? Answer is no to all of the above as every main stream party sing from the same hymn sheet.

Timing of this is very interesting and we are lucky it was uncovered.

• Advertisement

It’s not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

Does this not belong on the conspiracy theory or anti immigrant threads?

Furthermore, I’ve now had to listen to the Joe Duffy show to confirm my suspicions that this is a load of waffle.

Not happy about this at all.

If the authorities want to know about you, they will easily find out.

I’ll leave you to your beloved ‘peaceful protests’

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Moved to CT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I'm registered to vote. Went to update my details on mygov.ie but wouldn't allow me. What's the point of using the PPS system🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 25,683 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Neither your Eircode or PPSN is sensitive.

The Eircode can usually be derived from your address.

And the government most certainly already knows your PPSN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Yeah Right

Neither your Eircode or PPSN is sensitive

You'd have no problem then, sharing both of yours here on boards, correct? Go on then, stick them up in the thread if they're not considered sensitive info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Not really worth a listen, just the latest crackpot on Joe Duffy

With the cutbacks in RTE how are they still giving this guy such obscene amounts of money.

I seen a few of the twitter accounts I would call the "fruit loops" started this a few weeks back. Just the latest in a long line of "oh da guberment is after you" nonsense which has come out of the ashes from covid

• Registered Users Posts: 25,683 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They are personal data. So I'm not sharing them any more than I'm sharing my name or DOB.

But the are not "sensitive". You can read more here, but in short, sensitive data is:

• personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs;
    • trade-union membership;
    • genetic data, biometric data processed solely to identify a human being;
    • health-related data;
    • data concerning a person’s sex life or sexual orientation.

It is entirely reasonable for the government to ask for identifying personal data in establishing your right to vote.

(And yes, I think that councils performance in maintaining the electoral register is appalling. The job should be handed to Revenue, who appear to be the only agency capable of managing a population-level database. But that's for another thread, and forum now this is in CT!)

Advertisement