Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knee weakness

Options
  • 16-01-2024 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭

My right knee has been giving me some trouble recently.

When I crouch down the right knee feels "tighter" than the left, and then standing up it feels like the knee cap is straining and the knee feels like it has little power to lift me up without having to rely entirely on the left leg.

The pain seems to be centred around the top of the kneecap.

Like if I were trying this manoeuvre with my bad knee at the front it would kill the knee

The timing couldn't be worse as I'm heading off on a surfing trip next month where I need to be able to launch myself from a crouched position.

A neoprene knee support does seem to help a little, but are there any exercises I could try to see if I can strengthen it a bit?

I'm off to Asia so perhaps a knee massage will be a good thing to try, or could that make it worse?

Interestingly, when I stick my hand into the back of my right leg the pain goes away and the leg seems powerful again

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

This is squarely in the realm of requiring a professional assessment and advice, and if I were you I would be doing it before your surf trip, to forego any risk of the situation worsen mid-trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

I have had major issues withone of my knee. Found the ATG protocol very good. Easy and no special equipment required for the starting phase. worth a google ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mulbot

Might be your lateral meniscus tendon. I've had this very problem where that tendon becomes weak and the knee joint starts to take on the extra pressure, resulting in kneecap pain. I've kept in under control with various exercises, the main one being a rubber band from my Physio that you put around both legs, at the knee area and you perform repetitions pushing the knees apart, strenghting the knee. But as mentioned above above, best to see a Physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Yeah I saw the physio and she said it might be because I'm not keeping my feet flat when standing from.a crouch position.

Particularly when I'm standing up on the surfboard.

When i stand up on my front foot the knee takes the pressure, but keeping my foot flat and leaning back more and standing up more straight than forward seems to relieve it.

Time will tell how easy it is to achieve on the water!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Physio noted no damage to knee or strength, so it may just be a posture/technique issue.

Short achilles tendon doesn't help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Augme

Do you do any strength training for your legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Forgot to mention I've supination too which doesn't help, I used to do alot of heavy gym work, I just do bodyweight exercise now, push ups, and chair squats. (sitting on a couch or chair, keep feet planted flat and rise to stand always with feet planted)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

The lack of lower body strength training is almost definitely a big part of your problem. You're trying to get weak knees to do athletic stuff. Chair squats are not challenging enough. Those are what 70 year olds start with.

A smart programme with squats, deadlifts, leg curls, lunges. I'd be amazed if it didn't significantly help your knee, and it's what any good physio is going to get you doing anyway.

It's lifting weights that caused my problems in the first place. Physio was the one who recommended chair squats, or depending on knee pain, just regular bodyweight squats. I've had no issues since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Augme

If I was use I'd start by working on ankle and foot mobility, calve mobility and strengthening and the same for hamstrings. Body weight exercises should be fine when starting out.

Yea my calves are my weak point, still find it difficult to build them up,.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Snodge

Has anyone experience of PRP injection in the knee?

• Are they effective?
    • How soon after can you return to activity?

Advertisement