Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No more parking spaces!

Options
  • 15-01-2024 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭

I don't really get this. They're assuming that people just want to have a house and commute to work, nothing else. Good luck doing a family shop on your bike! Having a potential blanket policy of no parking spaces in new housing developments would turn into an absolute disaster.

Now, the article says "on street parking" but most housing estates now don't give driveways either, as it allows the builder to build more houses (each saving of 1-2 metres per row of houses equates to an extra row of houses)

Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭GPoint

If the city dwellers are young single or a young couple and they have a convenience store on the ground floor they dont need a car for shopping. However, this is yet another step in the direction of pushing cars out of the cities. Cannot see such energy applied in the direction of revising public transport options and building railways everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Who does a week's shopping in a convenience store though?

Car rentals and public transport are great when they're available, but what if someone needs to travel for work outside a public transport route, get to a hospital quickly, wants to tour around the country for a few weeks etc?

This new narrative of cars being evil is wearying, why the push to get us all into expensive electric cars if many won't have anywhere to park them?

Would it not be better to make driving larger cars than necessary prohibitively expensive? Even that is into nanny state territory.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

People used delivery services before cars and they use them now when they don't have cars

I live in a suburb and in my terrace of 5 houses there's a single car. Mine. But when it was awaiting a part to arrive (my decision to drive an obscure car made worse by it being quite old now causes these delays) I got Supervalu deliveries; and lived my life as normal for a few weeks. Twice. Its needed parts a lot!

Everyone else gets deliveries also, well I suspect the student house mostly gets deliveries of premade food from takeaways but I have seen a Tesco van once or twice...

These houses have one car / two hatchback driveways so the single permanent car does look a tad lost in the expanse of front gardens.

You still have your car though so it obviously is important to you.

It's the fact that they're proposing to remove the choice of whether or not to own a car from future buyers of these developments that's the issue, some people genuinely need a car.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Well if you're able to shop in supervalu as your normal shop...! :D

For me, I commute to various offices as part of my job, so I'd need a car.

Also, there's ALOT of places where public transport doesn't take you. I'll pick a very simple example. If you want to go into the city centre, totally fine. But if you office isint in the city centre, it's a pain. New housing estates being built away from central locations. EG: Work in Sandyford, live in Maynooth. Public transport is Train to Luas. Luas to Luas. And depending where in Sandyford you are, could be any number if onward journeys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Private parking spaces will always be available - its been pretty common in larger cities for decades now that there's no parking provided, or a tiny space:unit count in a development.

I've got family / in-laws at two entire opposite ends of the country; but it might actually be cheaper for me to hire cars for those visits at this stage. Must do the maths on that.

This is in the article:

The guidelines say that parking could even be eliminated in new housing developments which have good access to urban services and public transport.

What if you need to commute a longer distance to work and part of the route is well serviced? Not everyone works on their doorstep, or stays in the one workplace for life, so what's a convenient place now might not be in the future.

A potential employer being impractical to get to applies to when you have a car too. I've been offered a job in Sandyford, took a look at the M50 at those times and decided not to.

Also plenty of employers don't offer parking at their location anymore either, so you've nowhere to leave your vehicle there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Don't worry, Ryan and his entire dipsh1t party will be voted out of office in the three upcoming elections.

Come 12 months time, you won't have to hear a bar of him ever again.

You could theoretically be offered a job 20 kilometres from home, an easy commute away from congested roads and have to turn it down because you can't own a car.

Some people can happily never drive or own a car, others need one. It's impractical to build a housing development with no parking facilities. Good luck too if they want anyone visiting them from further afield where a car would be necessary.

• Advertisement

And I could theoretically win the lotto tomorrow.

If I've made the decision to buy/rent somewhere that I can't have a car (there are tens to hundreds of thousands of places where this applies already) I'll already know that I've limited work options to those places that are accessible by public transport.

There are plenty of city centre apartment (and office) buildings with zero parking already.

Many make the decision to buy based on their budget and their lifestyle at the time. Needs can change but without the option to own a car you can be quite limited.

If that happens, bluntly - you move.

We cannot make plans on the basis of edge cases that might occur. Car spaces are astoundingly expensive, either in terms of land use or extraction costs for underground (which, as we've recently seen, can also flood) so lower priced developments are going to leave them out as much as possible.

11sqm for a parking space is over a quarter of the floor area of the smallest new apartments allowed; and that doesn't count the space any access lanes use.

Moving can be expensive and not everyone may be able to move to somewhere with a parking space.

I can see second hand houses with parking becoming more expensive, but I'm sure the developers will try to charge as much as possible for new homes without parking.

Insane idea in a country where public transport is so very far behind. So, don’t become elderly, don’t become disabled, don’t have children, don’t need to attend hospitals, just keep young and fit and sure ya’ll be grand in our great little country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's funny that people still think that these type of policies are obscure Irish Green Party policies and not politically mainstream worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I would be fully supportive of this if the OPW gives up 5 civil service parking spaces for every on street space that the Dept of HLG want to remove from the city/town streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Absolutely ridiculous, just make a part of planning an underground car park a stipulation in apartment builds. Cars a necessary in most of Ireland and if no parking they just block the roads, paths, bike lanes etc...

Underground car parks are exceptionally expensive to build and push prices up as a result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I used to visit one of the large apartment blocks in Spencer Dock regularly in a past life. The vast underground car park we never more than 25% used, regardless of what time of day or evening I visited. Lots of people in city centre apartments don't keep cars outside their front door. They use public transport for most journeys, and car sharing or car rental when they absolutely need a car.

In fairness, Ryan was also out this weekend talking about cutting free workplace parking for public sector staff.

Lots of older people, disabled people, parents, hospital patients use public transport or cycling.

Lots of older people, disabled people, parents, hospital patients can't drive, or can't afford to drive, or choose not to drive.

We can't keep designing our world around cars.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Restaurant in the next village down from us closed down in November. We used to go to it every second week for years. Used to meet family for meals often in there. We all got to know the owner very well. We stopped when it became a pain in the hole to get to it. The parking restrictions meant you couldnt drive there anymore without parking a km away from it or paying too much for parking a bit closer. All well and good if it wasnt raining or you didnt feel like walking or the parents werent going.

There was a bus that stops near it every 30 mins from about 1km away from us. Thats hassle you dont need too.

Anyway we all stared going to a couple of new restaurants a bit further away with parking in the premises or close by, but they arent near as good as the old regular. I think since last Jan when the parking was taken away until November when it closed we had only gone to it once. My Dad met the owner a couple of months before they closed and he told him that business had gone down the toilet since the paid parking was introduced.

I know some people who drive to the next village over for everything now rather than going to that one anymore, just because you can park for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

The builds are already ridiculously expensive, if the option is no car park and cars blocking everywhere or cars underground then underground is the answer especially in the suburbs. My own area has a few apartment blocks and the cars from the apartments block most of the road/path/cycle lanes during the evenings.

If price of building is the issue why don't we build C,D,E rated apartments?

The spaces could also be rented out where not needed etc... most other EU countries make sure underground parking is built, even in housing estates in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What kind of cheapskates are paying out a couple of hundred for a family mean, a tenner or two on tips, and won't pay €2 to store their private property?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Would probably add €12 to €16 to the cost of an evening if 3 families met there. Better in our pockets than yours. And you can be sure thats only an "introductory price" and it will go up. Why would we want to pay when we can met up without paying. Clearly we werent the only ones who thought that way. We could all (including a pregnant SIL and pensioner parents) hop on our bikes from our respective homes and lock all our bikes together for free I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement