Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a TD refuse to help a constituent

Options
  • 15-01-2024 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine was seeking advice from a TD that represents her area, she requested the advice via messenger, about s month ago, as the TD has a FB page, that was fine, she didn't get a response and she sent the TD a few reminders , basically asking could they help and advise, last week she also emailed their official email, no response, today she went to check the messages and to remind the TD again, and she couldn't, then went to the main page and message icon wasn't there and then how I know is because she messaged me and asked could I see the message icon and I can, she sent me a screenshot, and I could see that the messenger icon wasn't there.

So basically can a TD refuse to help a d ignore a constituent.

Best Answers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes.

That's it, that's the answer. They have absolutely no requirement to even acknowledge you.

Its not a good idea to do this, as it isn't very good for keeping the job, but they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Yes. Most definitely. TDs get asked for assistance in all sorts of matters that they shouldn't be involved in. They are your local representative in the national parliament to look after your best interests through the legislative process.

They are not meant to be the local big shot who can lean on someone to get something done.

You probably can't say but could you give an indication of the issue and why it is that the TD is the person who should assist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Misleading title, they should seek a meeting in person at the TD's public clinic.

Your expecting a personal reply for specific advice on fb messenger from a TD???

....You might just be expecting a bit much & I would say the title that the TD is refusing to help based on that contact alone is quite unfair!

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Yes. Have experienced it myself.

Told that what I was asking was not appropriate to talk about as mete pleb.

Twenty years ago

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

TDs are exceptionally unlikely to get involved in an issue between two (or more) individuals as the other person/people are also constituents.

She's wasting her time, and yours if she refuses to listen to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That is not an issue for a TD to be involved with, that is a matter of legal title between private landowners and householders. If they can't sort it amiably, solicitors need to be involved. What exactly does she expect the TD to do, and why does she think she has the right to constantly harrass a person about something that is not their responsibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,894 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

She likely a relic of the old sleeveen/stroke politics days. Politicians used to be able to and did help on things like this,(there would be queues to their clinics locally) but most won't touch them with a barge pole now.

I remember getting a wrong number call on my answer machine from a local TD who had sorted out an issue like this for a constituent. It was great fun listening to his embarrassment when I rang him back to tell him. He couldn't quite remember what he had said.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Havenowt

Hi

Is this in a town or countryside setting? Does the lane provide access to agricultural land owned by 2 or more people?

If yes, they can apply to their CC to get the lane resurfaced through the local road improvement scheme for non public roads.

You apply as a group and if successful in the applicantion you pay 10% of the overall cost. It is a tar and chip finish.

ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA

1)     Only non public roads, not in the charge of the Council can be considered for the scheme

2)     The road/lane must provide access to Parcels of Land of which at least 2 are owned or occupied by different persons engaged in agriculture,    or

3)     Provide access for harvesting purposes (including turf or seaweed) for 2 or more persons,     or

4)     Roads leading to important community amenities such as graveyards, beaches, piers or other tourist/heritage sites.

5)     Shall in the opinion of the road authority be used by the public

6)     Roads leading to commercial enterprises will not be considered

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The TD will have an office, if you can't be bothered to go to the office then no the TD is not refusing. A facebook page in reality won't be monitored, especially when you see the amount of abuse TD's get onto from online trolls.

In terms of right of way, the issue is legal and they will tell you to go to the proper legal department

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Havenowt

If the council approves the scheme, They price up the job and the people on the road pay 10% of the total cost of the job bwteeen them.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭iguy

Sorry, I concur,

The issue is in regards to rights of way, I've tried to help her and do right, I've advised her to speak to solicitor, etc, but not sure why she's adamant that she wants a TD to help her.

Thanks all, I thought so myself, as mentioned I told her to ask a solicitor, 4 households share a lane, and apparently it needs to be tarmacked or whatever 2 including herself are willing to resurface it the other 2 are not.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

TDs only help out if its easy or there is something in it for them.

I have a friend whose first answer when anyone mentions an issue is "Insert local TDs name". They cant do everything you ask for you.

Thank you,

I've passed on this information to my friend, it's a country side setting, four households, and gates for farmland, 3 households own the farmland, the lady who wants, alongside another neighbour, are will to put in the funds,the family that own the first, second and third gateway and household gateway are refusing to pay, as they have measured and their part is 295 metres, the lane in total from the beginning to the end(cul de sac) is just over 2 kilometres, the house next to the first occupant, is House only they don't own any farmland, the first occupation stated that that house is 475 metres from the beginning and those both households have clubbed together,

I must state that they don't even want to pay for anything, their share, I mean, they claim their end/beginning is not as bad as the lane past their share, which is true, as I've often been on the lane visiting my friend,

I also will state that the farmer has fields but no opening's, it's how its layed out, his farmland stretches from the beginning to the halfway point, just over 1 km, and he is at the moment selling sites 3 of them 1 on the left side and 2 on the right side, with pre-approved planning permission, and no one objected, it seems to be him really not willing to pay.

However once again, thank you, and I'm literally on my way to tell my friend's the info you gave.

And apologies for the grammar in this post, I'm having an off day, sometimes I do okay and other times not so good.

Advertisement