Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you make new friends?

Options
  • 15-01-2024 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I'm now 28 years old and I have no friends basically. I go to work every day in an office which is mainly female dominated (25 women to 3 men) which the 3 men are over the age of 50 with families and their own lives. I do go to the pub a fair bit which I'll chat to the lads/locals down there but I would never meet them outside the pub or talk/text them apart from that. I'm trying to start getting more friends now that its a new year and all the blabla but I dont even know where to start. Where abouts do you meet friends?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

It has always tended to happen naturally for me when I was involved in things that I was personally interested in. If you get active in things you have a passion for, and those things involve other people, then often forming friendships just happens on its own. Or with a small amount of effort.

For example I have done a lot of Jujitsu over the past 15+ years. The more I trained the more I got interested in competition. So in the beginning when here was competition on - or when eventually I started competing myself - I would talk to the others in the club about my intention to travel to the competition. Ask them if they wanted to come with me for the car ride and make a day of it. Friendships simply formed over time of doing things like that.

But if you are sitting around at home or just going to the pub all the time - I do not really know any techniques for forming friendships. I do not know if there are apps like Tinder for platonic friendship forming? They all appear to be for dating or sex? Perhaps there is some. I do not know of them however.

For me therefore I'd just figure out what you are into and do more of it - and do it as consistently and as socially as you possibly can. So step 1 is figuring out what it is you are into at the moment - or if there is nothing but the pub and the couch then figure out new things to be interested in and pursue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Join clubs you have an interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭Breezy_

Do you talk to the 25 women at all? If not why not? Have you a girlfriend/family or is the pub the only show in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

A lot of men will put their phone numbers on the wall in public toilets in order to meet likeminded individuals and make new friends. I'm not sure if this is something you'd be interested in, but it just shows there are many ways to make new friends if you're willing to take the chance. As the poster above says, shared interests are the best way to form powerful bonds with other men. Why not identify your top 5 favourite things to do and then think about ways to connect with other guys who enjoy the same things?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Public toilets, especially late at night, are a great way to make new friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

This 100%. Whatever hobbies you have, chances are there is a club full of like-minded people near you. Golf clubs, cycling, tennis, GAA. If you're a regular in a pub, there's probably a golf society or a darts/pool team. There are photography and art clubs all over the country, if sport isn't your thing. Try group music lessons. Honestly, there are so many ways to meet people these days if you're willing to be open-minded and pushed slightly out of your comfort zone.

Advertisement