Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Chambers is Out

Options
  • 15-01-2024 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Personally, I don't care what his orientation is. I presume he must be in a relationship now that caused him to go public. I wish him well.

Anyway, my concern is that there is now an over-representation (75%) of the homosexual nature in the Government for Dublin 15. This doesn't represent the reality that the homosexual community is still quite small in the area.

Discuss

Post edited by miamee on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,278 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I can't see what difference that makes to anything. There are probably plenty of constituencies where their TDs are 100% heterosexual, which undoubtedly doesn't reflect the reality there. It probably all balances out in the end. I'm more concerned about Jack's general ineptitude and lack of suitability for a ministerial job than I am his sexual orientation tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,848 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Can gay people only represent other gay people? Can straight people only represent straight people? It seems like you do care what your representatives orientation is...

Discuss.

How many gay TDs have there been since the establishment of the dail and the Oireachtas? Very few..this doesn't represent the size of the LGBT+ community in Ireland.

Discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Their sexuality makes no difference.

Judge politicians on their competence, ethics, values, workrate etc.

I didn't realise Jack Chambers is a Trinity graduate and RCSI graduate in medicine. He's obviously intelligent.

I don't follow politics but this makes him more likeable at least.

Dublin West is gaining a seat in next election so he has a decent chance of retaining his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If you don't care what someone's orientation is, why would it bother you that 3 out of 4 Dublin West TDs are of a particular orientation?

Sure, it's not a proportional representation of the sexual orientation of the population of the constituency, but so what? Why should it be? If a politician's sexual orientation is a matter of indifference, why would it bother anyone that the sexual orientation of a constituency's TDs doesn't correspond to the orientation of voters?

Four out of four Dublin West TDs are male; this doesn't reflect the gender composition of the electorate. Three out of four are university graduates — indeed, graduates of TCD — and two of them have multiple university degrees, strongly suggesting that, as a group, they don't accurately reflect the socioeconomic composition of the constituency. With an average age of 44, they are well above the median age for the voters as a whole. And so forth. Does any of this bother you?

Tl;dr: you need to make a case that the TDs representing a particular constituency need to reflect proportionately the sexual orientation of the voters. If you don't make that case, there's nothing to discuss here.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,000 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭A Knight of Ireland

From a personal point of view, I wish him well. But from a political perspective, I think its very important that his politics is not driven by an agenda now. He is a representative for all people and he will be judged on this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

He is the same man he was last week, I don't see how his politics might suddenly have changed because we now all know he's gay - he was always gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,749 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No one cares so long as he does the job he's paid to do. Much ado about nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

blatant trolling

Post edited by Former Former Former on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

There's not much to be gained from this discussion so thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement