Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving In The UK.

Options
  • 15-01-2024 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭

Will a comprehensive motor insurance policy issued by an Irish insurer provide cover to drive the insured Irish registered vehicle in Great Britain excluding Northern Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

It should say it in your booklet. I enquired about this before (Was insured via RSA I believe) and was covered in the U.K, can't fully recall now there could have been something about 90 days cover. Not sure if it varies from provider to provider.

Here is an article from AXA.

Am I covered to drive in the UK with Irish car insurance? (axa.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I'm with Zurich.The policy booklet states cover is for driving in the Republic and Northern Ireland but UK is not mentioned. I'll contact them directly to find out. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Some cover under Zurich policies like home assist and breakdown cover only applies in the 32 counties and misfueling cover only applies in the Republic. OP may have seen that limitation and assumed that it also referred to third party cover.

Zurich defines the 'territorial limits' of their motor policies as follows..

Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, including whilst the insured vehicle is in transit by sea (including loading and unloading) between any ports located in those territories

They further state that your cover extends to a list of other countries under the heading 'Compulsory Insurance in the European Union & Other Countries'. This includes all of the EU plus countries like Iceland, Norway and Switzerland. Coverage in the countries outside the 'territorial limits' is strictly the legal minimum, unless you have asked for comprehensive cover when driving outside Ireland and GB.

The schedule that came when you last renewed should answer your question. It will also tell you the limit for the duration of cover for a single foreign trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The short answer is 'Yes'.

The long answer is: check for limits on it. It's usually for a specified number of days in a year, and/or a limit of how many days on a given 'journey'.

It doesn't give you blanket coverage to drive an Irish registered car for an indefinate time in the UK.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Indeed, the answer is yes, with a thirty day limit. Cover for a longer period comes at an extra charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

slightly o/t, but I had a relation from the UK who had the misfortune of that experience the other way 'round, here.

He never realised his UK insurance also only covered driving (outside the UK) in the same way (30 days/year), and he had been here for 6 weeks before he had his accident : and not a small one, either. Effectively, he was uninsured and the UK Co didn't cover him, so the 3rd Party had to resort the MIBI to get relief.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement