Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED lights under kitchen cabinets help.

Options
  • 14-01-2024 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭

Hi I am looking for guidance as to how to diy LEDs for under my kitchen cabinets. I'm in a recent new build and under each cabinet is a junction box (pic below) and there is already a 3 switch light switch on the wall but only two of those turn on spots and then islands lights so I assume the third blank one will turn on what's connected to the junction box?

The only LEDs I'm familiar with are ones that come packaged with a plug like below:

https://amzn.eu/d/cEzbb2J

I was hoping to be a few diffuser channels and leds strips but not sure on how exactly to connect up the wiring. Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,409 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Some conventional linear under cabinet lights is probably what you’re looking for

They’ll have a lead that can be connected to your junction box

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/lap-linear-led-cabinet-light-white-8w-900lm/268pp#product_additional_details_container

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The amazon link is a cheap consumer product. Not really suitable quality imo. But if you wanted to go that route. You need to fit and outlet to the box, and plug in the strip. Finding a way to keep the excess cabling and transformer tidy. That's not too difficult, but the result is sub-standard imo.

The professional way to do it. Would be be buy a commercial grand LED stripe and hard wire it. Would likely need an inline transformer that would be fixed under the cupboard (or inside the cupboard). This would then be controlled by the switch, assuming it is switched for the box. You could test that not with a multimeter or phase tester to see if it cuts power the the box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Thanks for the suggestion but they may be a little too big as I've only a small lip about 19mm to play with and these may protrude and be visible.

After some more reading i think I have an idea of what to do. Get the leds (perhaps better quality than Amazon as suggested above) and connect to an led driver and connect from that to the junction box. there is space at the back to hide driver and leads etc.

On a similar note I am also wondering for another area of the house is it possible to wire a lamp sitting on a sideboard and leds together so that they both come on when you switch on the lamp. Forgive my ignorance if it's a stupid idea.

Advertisement