Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Dublin, Lost all bbc+ some itv channels

Options
  • 14-01-2024 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey.. Looking for some advice..

When I moved into this house 5 years ago, the previous people left their Sat dish mounted to the chimney and I was able to view( for the last 5 years etc) UK free to air channels using the pre existing sat dish-on both new Samsung /LG tvs that I bought new 5 years ago .....

Both of these tvs, have built in tuners for saorview + English free to air channels.... Sat dish cable is split and goes straight into the tvs... No box etc.... I don't have sky installed or anything like that for TV channels etc..

I the last week or 2, all my bbc channels have gone, some say this msg below

" this service has now closed. Bbc services on satellite are now available only on HD capable equipment. As your equipment only supports standard definition transmissions, you need to upgrade to HD capable equipment to continue to receive bbc services. Visit www.hdsatelliteupgrade.co.uk"

Etc...

Some of my itv channels are gone also but some remain

I don't know if it's an old sky dish or a random old sat dish on the chimney but at a random guess it's 10 years etc. The sat dish still looks intact and was working perfect up to the last few days.....

If I did a channel rescan/ retune on my Samsung / lg TV, would they find all the missing bbc and the few missing itv channels etc- without upgrading the Sat dish??

Or

Do I need to get someone to install a HD capable sat dish instead of the existing sat dish?

Thanks for your help with this in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭brooklands

Samsung UE55NU8000

Lg 49sk8500pla

Are the details of both tvs bought new about 5 years ago etc....

I haven't rescanned/re tuned these in 5 years.... I just didn't know if it would find them again using the existing old sat dish etc...

Thanks in advance for any advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭emaherx

There is no HD or SD dishes only receivers, so your dish is fine.

Some SD services have shut down and if your TVs have HD tuners then you should be able to just tune them in.

Frequency's are available on the lyngsat website if you need to manually scan a transponder.

Hey.. Thanks for the reply... Its great to hear that I don't need to upgrade the Sat dish...

I did a retune today. I haven't retuned the TV in 5 ish years etc. it looked for channels on ASTRA 19.2E.. Should it be also scanning elsewhere?or scan somewhere else in addition to ASTRA 19.2E current setting? .. It didn't detect any BBC channels today but it did tune in other channels I never had before....thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭gipi

You should scan for astra 28.2 satellite, that'll show the hd channels

Thanks for that... I added in astra 28.2 and it's now found the BBC channels etc.. Thanks again....in my current settings, it's scanned both astra 19.2 E and astra 28.2....

Should I only be scanning astra 28.2?

Or is there channels on 19.2 that don't appear on 28.2 so that both should be scanned etc?.. Thanks again for all the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,490 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Your dish is pointed at the 28.2°E satellite position, no point scanning the 19.2°E position as the dish isn't looking there.

Use the links below to find the tuning parameters for the channels required as some frequencies may not already be pre-installed since the TVs were manufactured

https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

https://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html

Post edited by The Cush on

Thanks for the info... Cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

hi - apologies for jumping in on this thread. I re-scanned the other day as a lot of the BBC SD channels went dark. Scanned astra 28.2 and got most of the BBC channels back in HD. Problem I am having is that I am now missing my 2 favourite channels, BBC4 tv channel and BBC 6 Music radio channel.

Is there extra steps I need to take to get these 2 channels back does anyone know? Not sure why these 2 have not tuned in when I can see all the other channels I am used to seeing are there including all the other BBC tv and radio ones...

Appreciate any suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Re: BBC Four - either retune after 7pm or check the CBeebies channel you have tuned in.

6 Music is still there, but the BBC radio channels are going through a frequency reshuffling phase as they are leaving the old frequency that the SD services were on.

Thanks for the reply. BBC4 definitely not on the CBBs channel after 7pm, the channel has just gone blank. Will re-tune later this evening to see if it picks it up this time.

Suppose I can leave it a while and hope 6 music shows up again in a week or two after maybe another re-tune if necessary, have scrolled through all the radio stations there at present and cannot see(hear) it.

It's just typical that it's the 2 stations that I'd have on the most are the ones that I lose!

Thanks again for replying.

• Advertisement

You'll find BBC Radio 6 Music on its new frequency at 10788V 8PSK 23000 3/4

BBC 4 on its new frequency at 10818V 8PSK 23000 3/4

Make sure the parameters entered are correct

https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

Thanks for that info. Tried that but looks like neither of them two frequencies are showing as options to choose when I'm in the manual tuning and I've to select a transponder to search. I can see 10788v 22000 & 10818v 22000, but not either of them with 23000.

I'll leave it for today and will take another run at it later in the week.

If the frequencies are not showing or are incorrect in the manual tuning menu you should be able to add/update them manually by inputting or changing the details and storing/adding/saving them.

Satellites switch on or change transponder frequencies/parameters when required and these may not be pre-stored in your receiver at manufacture, so they have to be added/updated to the list of stored frequencies/transponders.

Thanks for that info The Cush. I just updated a couple of the stored transponders and it looks to have done the job. Have 6 music back now, will check for bbc4 after 7pm.

Appreciate the assistance!

Advertisement