Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I rear-ended someone, what do I do?

Options
  • 14-01-2024 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

A lady stopped in front of me and I applied breaks immediately, the car didnt stop straight away and lightly bumped her car. She claimed to have been rear ended 3 times already and called guards. We waited for about an hour and no one came. We both too pictures, all information and she said theres likely internal damage, not a scratch on my car nor hers. She said she doesnt mind going the cash way as I said I dont want my insurance to sky rocket. How will I know if the damage isnt from before and if the amount she asks if she does legit? Or should I just contact insurance? Im also an N driver with an older car, insurance right now is quite high

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ring your insurance company and inform them; and tell them your intention is to keep it private; you're required to inform them of any incident which might lead to a claim. you don't want them being told by the other party in three weeks time, say, that there's a claim going in on your policy.

they'll create what i think is called a notification claim on your policy, and this may vary depending on company, but the notification claim will be removed within three months if there's no further action required from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Sono

If if were me I would contact insurance company and let them figure which damage you did or didn’t cause, could get very expensive if you try do it on your own.

presume you took photos of both cars? They could try play the injury card here too so you need to be very careful.

contact insurance company whenever you can is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Contact your insurance company.

She seems too happy to go with cash. You need to protect yourself and your insurance.

She's been rear ended three times she says. There are people doing this on purpose.

In future stay well back for your own sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Busyallthetime

If I contact insurance and say we are trying to sort this out privately will this affect the price of my insurance, im literally on 3000 per year at the moment... Thats the only thing im worried about if i do contact them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Sono

You can notify them of the potential claim and it’s part of your policy conditions that you do so, failing to do so could result in the insurance company refusing to indemnify you at a later date should a claim materialise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭con747

Maybe read the other thread that was started with a very similar situation just after this one here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058331247/help-please-bogus-claim

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement