Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement of old oil boiler with grant vortex house boiler

Options
  • 14-01-2024 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi guys

I'm going replacing My existing 16 year old oil boiler (housed in the garage) with a Grant vortex house boiler .I havent got quote's or engaged a plumber to do the job yet ,but just to get some info if possible before I start on the journey,

Current system is pressurized , thermostats on all the radiators zones living areas, bedrooms, hot water, 150 litre stainless Hot water tank, House Built 2007

1 We have a 3 zoned system but never have all 3 on at same time ,do plumbers take this in to account when sizing the system,.ie does a smaller burner ,boiler burn significantly less oil.

2.We have a pressurized system but pressure does drop after a while small leak at pump in hot press ,does new system cut out if pressure drops below a certain pressure.(Will be fixing leak here but not sure of any other losses).

3.Is Grant the best of what is out there ?

1. Anything else I should be asking or changing when I proceed .

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Grant boilers have under pressure protection and cut off when the system pressure goes too low. Can't answer the other two bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

1. Usually you would size a boiler to be able to heat all zones simultaneously. An undersized boiler running continuously if all zones were switched on wouldn’t be desirable, and it would make heating a whole house up from cold challenging. The benefit in downsizing as you describe is also limited, as while a larger boiler will use more oil per hour of running, it will reach temperature faster. There would be a small system efficiency benefit in what you propose when it comes to condensing, but I think the cons outweigh the pros in this case.
    2. No - none of the main players in the oil boiler market have water pressure switches. If the system became very low on water the boiler would eventually overheat and trip the high level stat, but you would likely notice circulation issues prior to this.
    3. Yes.
    4. It would be a good idea to replace the expansion vessel at the alongside the boiler, and make sure it’s big enough. Ideally the system should be flushed, and it’s well worth fitting a magnetic filter to the new boiler. Might also be a good time to look at replacing room stats, Heatmiser Neo is one option and quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

They don’t actually. They might eventually shut off as a result of overheating, but there is no water pressure monitoring.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I'd pick a boiler size that would meet your full load at the boilers highest output. You could then de-rate to a lower output that would be suitable to heat -let's say- two zones. Then if that didn’t work out, it would be simple to increase its output.

EG a 70/90 btu boiler can safely be setup to run at either of those outputs and all in-between.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 23 redoak

Thanks Guys for all the advice ,

time to get this project started ,tis freezin

Regards Redoak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 stiophan

Have you considered some other fuel than oil. I realise its a quicker replacement to an existing system but we know oil burners are not efficient and most of that heat goes up the flue.There are alternatives if piped natural gas is not an option - LPG gas tank, wood pellet furnace, high temp heat pump. Its like reading about someone moving from an old whale oil lighting to a more efficient whale oil lighting system. Its not like the oil burner installer is going to find service engineers easy to source in 5+ years and what home owner wants oil heating in any home purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭monseiur

indeed stiophan and sure everyone is buying electric cars now, ICE cars are so 'yesterday' Does anyone know of a garage/car dealership in Ireland selling new ICE cars, vans or trucks ? ...the thought of it. Imagine trying to source a petrol or diesel mechanic in 5+ years - all cars, vans, trucks, trains, airplanes, boats, ships will be powered by electric....and pigs will be flying backwards, self propelled🤣 Some folk are so brainwashed by the deluded green agenda perhaps they're beyond redemption .

• Registered Users Posts: 34 stiophan

Everyone is not buying EV cars for very good sound reasons (no charger access from the home, few local public chargers, old fuse box, power demand to the house, car types, car purchase budget, lack of used EV cars on sale due to limited volume, harder to source UK stock, car usage and pulling demand, car servicing, local winter weather and power costs). If a coal could power a car and the same cost as a ICE, nobody would care assuming you were not breathing the toxic fumes or cared about anything remaining green.

Of course there will be ICE mechanics but no new ones. Much like finding a car mechanic now for vintage cars even if the engine is very basic. Trains are already powered by electricity (even diesel electric is using electric to move the train). The vast no of ICE units are not in ships-trains-planes. They are in urban cities sitting in stop start traffic wasting 70% of the fuel even at 0 MPH/KMH as they are so energy inefficient. The solution is not all electric (unless there is a big breakthrough in battery weight-power-stamina). Ships are moving to LPG/Amonnia-Hydrogen and train lines are getting electrified (name a high speed train running on High speed rail track thats not electric). Do you think oil boilers will be sold in 2035 or pure gas boilers that can't burn a high hydrogen mix in cities (assuming a hydrogen gas grid exists unless you are gas rich nation?)

Advertisement