Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Secrets

Options
  • 13-01-2024 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Can anyone over advise on where to start?

I don’t really know where to start but here goes,

My grandmother (deceased) had triplets in 1969, my mother (deceased) who was 12 at the time of the births, was told that 2 died at birth. My Mum and I spoke often about things that happened around the time of the births, there’s so many secrets some now being revealed or I find out on my own.

I recently called my aunt one of the triplets about another family issue and was told I was crazy, so I’m not even going there.

I asked my aunt who is my Brothers father? It’s not my dad, found out after 45+ years Huge shock no point in asking family they all lie.

Im not in a position to get lots of different tests and stuff done, I have my suspicions on who the other 2 children are that "allegedly died"

Nothing really shocks me anymore

Anyone that can point me in the right direction please I’d appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭spakman

Why do you think the two babies didn't die?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭55Gem

Their death certs should be on Irish Genealogy if they did die and weren’t stillborn.

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭spakman

Dunno about that site - I can't find record of someone who I'm fairly certain died unless there's been a massive cover up...

Lots of deaths weren’t registered. There are also date limits due to data protection. It’s records are from the General Registry Office of Ireland.

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/what-years-are-covered-by-the-historic-records-of-births-marriages-and-deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

1969 is not so long ago, the answers will all be found in your family, just keep asking in the right way. Talk around the subject if you can't address it straight up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm not sure if this thread was moved from another forum.

@spakman - if you've never used that site before, it takes a bit of learning, and there are data protection parameters in place. If the person died after 1972, it won't be there.

@Emilee Do you want to give us some more info and we can start to help you look for the triplets? If you prefer to PM, that's fine. I'm one of the mods on this forum and also a professional genealogist. Happy to give some free pointers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

The babies may have died during birth or soon after so there was perhaps it was simpler not to register their birth and deaths. There would have been a small charge for registration and paperwork involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Emilee

Comments made over the years, 2 children now adults living in a different country. It’s complicated super complicated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It wouldn't have been unheard of that babies were reared by other relatives, depending on the circumstances of the births at the time

In 1969, triplets would be born in a hospital. They had control of birth registrations then. Even if they only lived for a few hours, they would have been registered.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Yes I hear what you are saying, and that’s what happened I think, and if it’s true they were raised in Australia. My Aunt is oblivious or just won’t admit to what’s going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Deeec

Emilee do you have concrete proof that these children did not die? If you are only basing this theory on the lack of death certs than it isn't much to go on. I can't find death certs for lots of family members.

Were the births of the 3 babies registered?If the births were not registered there would have been no need to register the deaths perhaps. A triplet pregnancy in 1969 would have been a very high risk pregnancy - the chance of all 3 surviving is low but still possible.

You need to thread carefully on this one with your aunt. Nothing you mentioned here is proof that they lived.

I appreciate your input, I spoke to my aunt on a different matter. I’m certain triplets were born whether they died or not I still would like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Deeec

You also need to remember if something suspicious did go on, your aunt had nothing whatsover to do with this! She was only a newborn herself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I would definitely recommend doing a DNA test, preferably with Ancestry as they have the largest database, and the results from Ancestry can then be added to other sites at no extra cost. Then if either of the other two triplets did survive, there's a good chance that they too are trying to explore this issue, and you may encounter them that way.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've given Emilee some advice in a PM about how to take this forward using the GRO records.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I was going to ask if death certs have been looked for, I’ve found 7 sets of un-named babies deaths in 1969

5 in Dublin

1 in Galway

1 in Tralee

i can give the surnames and dates if you want but maybe unnecessary now.

I appreciate that thank you, I’m in the south east of the country I don’t think they would be of use. Someone looked up the information with gro for me and only one has been found which is my aunt.

hoping to get some answers from family soon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Another thing you could try, if either of the other two triplets survived and were adopted, is to make an application for information via the new Birth Information and Tracing Act 2022 as a relevant person.

More info here: https://www.birthinfo.ie/

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement