Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THREE Robins??

Options
  • 13-01-2024 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

At Christmas, I noticed that there were often two Robins in the garden at the same time. They didn't fight, but I'd be 'talking' to one and suddenly he (or she) would pop across the garden at which point I'd realise that the second one was over there. I noticed that one would do something strange. It would tilt its head right back, pointing its beak straight up. But not open, like when begging for food.

Then the other day was feeding one bits of cheese, when it shot over to a bush and fed another Robin. This second one did the beak open and begging thing. However, this second Robin is hardly any smaller than 'my' Robin and has the full red breast, so not a juvenile. Is it the mate, perhaps?

Now it gets more complicated. Yesterday, my two Robins reappeared with yet another one in tow. Could this be a family?

It's hard to tell them apart, but I reckon the one that feeds from my hand and follows me into the shed is just the one. The other two didn't fly away from me, but they made no movement in my direction.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Had two robins on the feeder just now..just the time of year. Food is the only focus right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

And there was I, thinking they loved me 🤣. Makes sense about the food alright.

I've a little bird house, and two of them took turns going in and taking sunflower hearts.

It's interesting watching them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Similar situ as you (again) - Some around here might have seen the wee lad posted before. I've known him since summer 2022 when we got to know each other when he was a juvi (pre redbreast) - We are basically in a durable relationship now.

He only went and got himself a missus and boy is she high maintenance - It seems he has to feed her and look after her every whim.

In fairness though, she did build a nest in my nest box about 5 weeks ago.

They got it on shortly after the build and things went as planned - Defo a chick or two on the way. Poor Rob worked his ass off bringing food back to the nest and removing fecal sacks - Absolute grafter. On Monday a little chick appeared in the garden (about the size of a golf ball) - A mighty dangerous time as dad tried to corral the little fella about the place with mum not overly interested it seemed. I don't think he made it past 1 day though as the pair are gone back to their pre chick routine.

Cleaned out the box today to free it up for other clients

That's about 12cms of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Those are great photos, Gen.Zhukov. Fair play to your maintenance on the nesting box. I've one, and it has had Blue Tits and Robins popping in for a look, but no signs of habitation. However, its on the shed wall, right next to the door and just about head height. I reckon there's too much human traffic around for it to be considered nest-worthy.

Two were back only yesterday, and one came to my hand. I can't tell them apart, but there's one (if its the same one) who NEVER comes close.

However, patience is a virtue, because last year I had one in each hand simultaneously. Which leads me to believe I've one constant visitor, with a different floozy every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Cheers. That box is right beside the shed door too. There were a couple of blue tits nesting in it in 2022 and they didn't seem to mind the traffic. No tenants last year at all - The one thing I'd say is to make sure the box is shaded from direct sunlight otherwise it risks turning into a little oven.

Same as you - my fella eats off my hand but his mate won't come near so he takes food from my hand and brings it to her just a meter or two away

• Advertisement
Advertisement