Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow council house offer

Options
  • 13-01-2024 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

We were offered a council house in Wicklow but they don't let us view it inside. The property hasn't been lived in for sometime.

I'm worried that the house won't be up to standards if we accept it.

Any advice much appreciated.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 13,771 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

If you confirm your email address your thread will be moved to a more suitable forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do you really think that the council would give you a substandard house?

They have standards too, high ones so I would not be worried about the building or the fact it has not been lived in for a time as it would have been renovated.

This is not a private market where you get choices of what you can get,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Pretty sure they're renovated every time someone moves out/in, and as above, to a high enough standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

What standard do you expect in a council house "offered" to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Surely Wicklow Co Co should facilitate a viewing of the property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why? It's not for sale? People are being offered a house and if they turn it down they wont' be offered another one.

One thing I would not be concerned about with a council property is the standard or condition as that will be high

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭gipi

Not Wicklow, I know, but council houses aren't always allocated in great condition.

Story from 2021 here -

There was a similar story reported in 2023, can't find the link at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1percent

Ah come on the 3 pics in that article are not reason to give up a house, let's assume they are the most damming picture the journalist had as I'm sure if there was a picture of a missing toilet or rodent holes that would have made the cut. It shows³ poor workmanship yes, that cable going to the emersion should be in a junction box, 20 min on YouTube and a screwdriver and she could fix that herself. There is no danger to life or limb in those pics.

And that mold is a classic of irish houses in winter where a window hasn't been opened in months to let air in and damp out and wipe down with hot soapy water with a splash of bleach or Milton in it. I know people paying 1k plus for a room in houses worse than those pictures, I have lived in worse myself, but you clean and you air, and you fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Madd002

Take it and be grateful, council will get it to livable standard, it's a home for life so you've many years to decorate to your own taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭holliehobbie

The council rip out perfectly good kitchens etc. and replace them with brand new ones. That’s why they are empty so long between tenancies. They are afraid someone will sue if a door falls off an old kitchen cabinet for example, so they take everything out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 rushorbit

Hi Can I ask how long you have been waiting on the list? Or can anyone say how long the waiting time in wicklow town/rathnew/arklow is?

I know people's situation are different and people can get housed faster because of this even just a general idea.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Some people are in housing lists in Wicklow for over 20 years.

10-16 years seems average

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement