Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone with experience of switching from Eir FTTC to Pure FTTC?

Options
  • 11-01-2024 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm paying €78/month for Eir FTTC and unlimited evening and weekend calls. I've been on the same package for about 10 years never once changed the package, the provider or asked Eir for any kind of discount. But it's starting to annoy me now I'm paying nearly €80 a month and all I'm using is the broadband. It's pretty fast but not fibre optic fast. The service is reliable though.

I went on www.switcher.ie and looks like I can get the same broadband for €30/month from Pure. Vodafone and Sky and Digiweb are just a little more expensive. Only thing is I would loose phone calls but then I never use my landline anyway I only got a landline so I could get broadband.

Am I right in saying that I can get FTTC broadband from Pure and not have to also pay for the landline? I guess that's why it's €30/month? Also the broadband I would get from Pure, would it be exactly the same as the broadband I am getting now from Eir because they both just use the same cabling that OpenEir installed and service? Is there any chance Pure could end up being slower or less reliable or have secret quality of service differences/caps that Eir don't have? I'm reluctant to call and ask Pure this because I assume like all sales people they will emphasise the positives and coast around any negatives. I don't trust any sales departments.

People are obsessed on boards about Eir customer service. I never ever have to call them up and if I did over the years ok maybe I had to wait a while but it always got sorted in the end. Customer service is not a clincher for me what is, is price... and I don't want broadband speed and bandwidth and service reliability to be any less than what I am getting now. This is why I am loathe to switch providers.

I was thinking of just calling up Eir and asking for a discount but it's stressing me out... I shouldn't have to do that, feels cheap!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Flex

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭jos22

never feel cheap about asking for a discount, you currently being ripped out by those prices.

the process of switching from one FTTC to another FTTC provider is very straight forward for the most part.

the time the folks were paying 70 euro month to eir, I didnt bother asking for a discount I just took the offer from Vodafone at time for 35 euro for 12 months for landline and broadband. following year I called Vodafone again, mentioned my contract was up and bill was going to go up and re contracted again for 30Euro.

so it def worth your while to phone these companies up every year and ask for a deal, if they say no cancel and switch to who ever is cheaper.

as for the landline question depends on provider, for me the first 2 year with Vodafone it was free, this year it is 5Euro add on per month,

should also bear in mind that your eir bill will be increasing in price again in April as part of the annual price increase

sky were offering phone and broadband for 30 so you should also check them out

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Would highly recommend pure telecom, google their reviews excellent company. I've switched to them twice in the past, their customer care is based in Dublin. No experience with sky but Vodafone are a nightmare to deal with. Pure speeds and quality of service were exactly the same as eir just slightly higher ping times which has no effect on the service unless you play 20 year old shooters like I do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ULMarc

I switched Eir FTTC to Pure FTTC a year ago. For the savings. It's the same service yeah, no difference.

The Pure gang is great. Can get them on the phone quickly, and I've never been long on the phone with them. They've also arranged a FTTH upgrade for me next week. So hoping that goes well. That install is nothing to do with them realistically though, of course.

78 euro a month. That's painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭_H80_GHT

Agree with the Pure sentiment. Great service, always quick and easy to speak to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Pure resell the Eir service so basically you get the same thing for half the price.

Service isn't bad either - having huge issues with upgrading to fibre (all coming from the eir firbe/kn circet side) but Pure have at least been responsive and sorted out the mess it made of my billing quickly.

• Advertisement

I always see comments here saying Pure Telecom are great to deal with but I found them awful for the 3 years I was with them. Including the last year where they extended my contract without notifying me so I was locked in or I would have had to pay a small fortune to get our

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

Switched from VF last week on a FTTC plan.

Would be difficult to run fibre on my property and I was happy with the 38- odd gigs I was getting from VF, just not the price.

My new neighbour tried to order (I think) Eir, but they seem to be only offering FTTH where it's available and the engineer when he called out was unable to change the job from running cable to connecting to the existing copper wires.

I also queried sky on this, but they stopped responding mid-chat when I asked them to confirm they'd have no issue with a FTTC policy.

Pure were excellent, no issue, 30 a month on 12 month contract l (40 a year after - hopefully can renegotiate with them)

Switch was textbook and informed at every step in the process.

Spoke to them once (to see if they'd connect my neighbour with copper also, and it is no problem.

Speed with VF was always round 30

Fur some reason, I'm getting constantly over 50

Edit: only thing caused me hassle was seeing up a static route rather than DHCP, so I could set device level DNS on a TV box but that was just my ignorance and I'm sure they'd have helped if I hadn't eventually copped the settings).

In my experience they won’t renegotiate, I signed up for a deal and wanted to terminate at the end of the contract they extended without notifying me and I got locked in and had to pay them for 6 months internet in a property I no longer lived in or they were going to start charging me 250 for a clawback fee plus a fee for every month remaining. I found their customer service to be unprofessional, but that could just be my experience. I will say getting signed up and the initial price was brilliant, anything after that.. shocking.

Advertisement