Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1997 BMW Z3

Options
  • 11-01-2024 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭

Anybody have one and what are peoples thoughts?

Just had look at one that was advertised on FB Marketplace, M44 1.9 138bhp.

Looking to dip my toe into classic ownership at a decent price. This is up for €4250 with 104 k miles. It has been parked up in a garage for a couple of years, no NCT since '21 and a few cosmetic issues, no aerial, some flaking on the doors below the windows and a little bit of bubbling/rust at the rear of the sills. Alloys could do with a refurb and there is some wear internally, gear knob etc but the seats are in great condition and the hood looks solid at the seals etc and opens/closes correctly. Battery was dead when I went to meet him and couldn't hang around today so said I would come back and drive it when he has it going. Few other bmw's around the yard he seems to be a genuine guy.

He says he's not going to put it through NCT and wants to sell as it is / doesn't have the time, new baby just wants rid of it. Am I mad to consider this without NCT and if not what's it worth?

I've done my usual "research" youtube vids / forums etc and I'm well aware of the cars power limitations etc. Got a quote of €260 for a classic policy up to 4K Miles

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Mad to consider without NCT. Its a BMW after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Magown3

Sounds like a sub €2k car, not a car that's worth over €4k.

A car can Deteriorate vad enough in 2/3 years of no use.

Much better buy here after a good haggle surely

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/35479677

2002 BMW Z3 1.8 petrol convertible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

But not eligible for classic insurance perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

A Z3 is essentially a 2 seater E36 - most parts are cheap enough, and they're generally reliable. Assuming its not falling apart from rust, the only troublesome issue it might have is emissions - so I'd be generally looking for an NCT on one. My E36 has only had one emissions related issue - a new MAF sorted it - but I know of lads dumping a small fortune into trying to get an emissions number down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭pah

The 02 is a less likely candidate for classic insurance alright. Popped up on a FB car sales group and was only down the road from me so handy out. Thinking I could get in one for cheap and have classic tax in 3 years time. I think there's a bit of a sweet spot there before the value of a classic (motortax wise) impacts on the asking price.

On reflection I could be opening a serious can of worms with no NCT and it lying idle for the last few years. Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you know what you are looking at, nct shouldn't be a concern as such but that should be reflected in price whereas in this case, he is looking for big money.

Better off buying a clean one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ya for me if I'm looking at classics or that sort of maybe needs some work. I'd buy on condition not NCT. It gives money to play with and bargain with.. sounds priced too high but no NCT isn't a red flag for me. Red flags come from looking at the car, history and the owner themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Had no problem getting classic insurance on my 03 325i cabrio. Don’t think they would have done it for a coupé or saloon but seemed to accept that a cabrio was a hobby car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

When you filter classics on DoneDeal €3000-€5000. There are nearly 200 results. Plenty of solid running cars. Run a mile from a car that’s been left sitting outside for years!

He didn’t even have the battery charged for you. He clearly hadn’t started or moved the car in a long time and has a cheek to ask over €4k for it. Absolute chancer. He probably got it for nothing.

Battery, new tyres, brakes, service and who knows what else. You won’t feel spending another two grand on that car before you even paint it.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've. 1998 2.8 m52 single vanos Z3.

The Z3s seem to be going for mad money in Ireland, yet in the UK significantly cheaper. I'd consider over €4k for 104k miles 1.9 erring on the side of very expensive considering it hasn't been used in a few years.

For that price I'd be expecting it to have been well maintained. If you got it for less than €3k you'd be more in the normal ranges.

I'd be checking the following:

Outer sills. Notorious in these to go rusty. There's two parts, the outer shell which sits over the "structural sill". They're handy to get as spares though.

The cooling system will 100% need an overhaul if its been sitting up. Those rubber pipes perish quite quickly.

Soft top. Big big one here. If it'd '97 it could be a manual. If not, motors have a large tendency to die.

Rear subframe (although not as much if an issue on the 1.9). Loft up the carpet in the boot and see if any of the welds are beginning to fail.

If you do decide to lean into it again, check the carpets for any dampness. Check the boot for the welds. Once running see how much it heats up by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

How would you have classic tax in three years time? An 02 car wont be 30 years old in 3 years time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

I bought a 2000 Audi TT Roadster. Got Classic insurance for under €200. The tax is €636 per year but I can live with that. I thought I was buying the best car available but I still had loads of work to do. Hood repairs, drain tubes, Comfort Control Module, drive belt on wind deflector, etc. I’m really enjoying the tinkering but if I had to send it to a garage every time, I would be broke. Cars of that age are all about condition. Buy the best one you can find.

Advertisement