Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What not to say at US preclearance?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Anomymous

@Fr Tod Umptious thank you for the info..

As far as I can remember I did not return that green slip when I left USA..

So I'll go the route of B2 visa I think..

Fingers crossed that I'll be successful 🙏

@ReturningForY

Thank you for the advice...

The esta is not a option for me.... Ill apply for B2... Do you know by any chance, how long that process takes as in rough time span for interview after filling in b2 application form?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Heading for a funeral several years ago I was asked when I was last in the US, I thought for a moment and said not since September 11, I was talking about 2011, he was not amused.

Does anyone know if I get accepted for a B2 visa... 🙏🙏

Does it allow me enter USA or will I still get asked questions about a previous over stay @ pre clearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭wandererz

Be prepared to be pulled aside, taken to a separate area and processed along with a few questions.

If this happens the first time then it will happen every time thereafter.

• Advertisement

Have you at least tried to apply for an ESTA?

It only takes a short while to apply and you will receive a reply within a few hours.

If it is rejected, only then do you apply for a Visa.

No didnt do Esta as I thought it asks have u been in USA before? And if I say yes would they not check then?

@wandererz

If pre clearance questions me and takes me to a room... Do you know will my child be allowed stay beside me as this is not something I'd want my kid to see and be left at airport alone watching mum taken away if u get me??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Just never reply to the question about the purpose of your trip as: "I am going for the craic!"

Post edited by RetroEncabulator on

• Advertisement

@RetroEncabulator great advice 🙈😂😂 thanks 😜

It's not a small room or anything, it's relatively large area with seats. Your family can join you.

Questions:

7) Have you ever been denied a [ ] visa you applied for with your current or previous passport, or have you ever been refused admission to the [ ] or withdrawn your application for admission at a [ ] port of entry?

No

If yes:

when

where

8) Have you ever stayed in the [ ] longer than the admission period granted to you by the [ ] government?

No

----

If it was 20 yrs ago or more and you were not pulled out at departure or received anything from immigration then your answer is NO.

It is (mainly) an automated system. Costs $21 and can take as little as 10mins.

Do it. If it says no, then apply for a visa.

No need to have hassle dealing with the embassy and appointments etc if you don't have to.

Further to above, I realised that mine was out of date so I applied.

Use the website, NOT the app. This is the official website, NOTHING else.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta

I always receive a message saying that it needs further processing which can take up to 72hrs. Received an email 50 mins later saying that there was an update.

Success!

You can do a group application as well multiple persons. If yours does get rejected, only then book an appointment for visa.

@wandererz thanks again for info but yes iv over stayed on a 90 day visa waiver way back yrs ago so Id read I wasn't able to apply for Esta... I tried filling it out but as soon as I got to a certain question it told me I couldn't go futher with my application

OK. That's unfortunate.

You will have to apply for a visa.

Once granted, set aside about 1hr extra at the airport pre-clearance. It will take less time depending on how busy they are.

This will happen every time you enter the US.

Even when transiting through the US do not leave just 1hr between connections. It will not work.

E.g. Cancun->New York-> Dublin

When you arrive in NY you need to allow enough time to have to be pulled aside and processed.

Every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Sorry that isn't true that if you weren't caught for an overstay at the time or otherwise notified, then you can still use ESTA/VWP. Overstaying by 1 day is a lifetime ban from using ESTA/VWP.

@wandererz

OMG are you telling me that I'll still have immigration to go through in USA even after getting through pre clearance @ Dublin airport?? 🙈😢

No it is not necessarily.

If it happened over 20 yrs ago it does not apply. Many of the systems were not upto scratch.

Once you go through pre-clearance at Dublin you arrive on the other side as a local person

• Advertisement

@wandererz sorry to be a pain... One last question for you...

If I get on this holiday/vacation 🙈 ill be flying from Dublin to Chicago probably and then iv to get a connecting flight to Tenenesse... I won't have any issues after the preclearance system in Dublin will i?

No.

Once you get through pre-clearance in Dublin you arrive in Chicago as a domestic passenger. No further checks. Just head to your Tenessee flight gate.

Ooh good news at last... Thanks for all your help @wandererz 🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

I have a green card.Was returning to the US.Some immediate family were travelling,also to a wedding.Was told I couldn't bring family on my card.LOL No,not really lol.

Advertisement