Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought a terrible car

Options
  • 11-01-2024 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi everyone, and thanks for any advice. I recently bought a car from a dealership in Dublin. Quite expensive as well. Almost 20g. I have had nothing but trouble with it since I bought it. I have several issues. I think it was crashed and poorly repaired. The dealership is SIMI registered if that is any importance. I want to return it but the guy said not a chance. He said he will fix any issue. But so much is wrong I have lost complete confidence with it. I only have car 2 weeks, can I return it. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Luna84

What's the car? Just to get a gauge if it is a common problem with the car. Is it a diesel by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭User1998

You have to give them a chance to repair the car before they refund you. If they can’t repair it you can start looking at refunds or replacements.

Why do you think its crashed? Did you run a history check on the car? What type of issues are you having?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Small issues can cause big problem

I remember bought a bmw petrol years ago, had loads of issues for weeks, in and out go garage. Finally it was a injector or something, can’t remember now and car was a dream afterwards

What’s up with it?

As above was history check done?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pmac180

Toyota CHR, the passenger door has been damaged. It feels light and makes a hollow sound when you close it. There is a paint stain from respraying, I have no confidence it would protect a passenger. The heater fans on windscreen and middle bit of dash not working, the entire heater is not coming on most of the time, I had to pull into the hard shoulder on the motorway. The windscreen doesn't defog at all. Pressing buttons on heater and nothing happens. Doesn't turn on. There are clips missing on the front bumper and both wheel arches that clip the body panels to the car. Gaps are all over the place on the front bodywork. One of the wingmirrors doesn't retract when parking. I'm getting alarms for seatbelts on the backseat when nobody is there. There is a vibration in steering wheel when driving over 70 mph.

For the price I paid I am disgusted. Garage said no way to a refund, they will fix any issue. I have lost my confidence in the car and just want my money back. Too much is wrong with it, electrical and mechanical.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭GPoint

Sorry for your frustration with the car.

Did you not see all these issues when you were buying?

Is this your first car?

If you spend at least an hour with the car and then at least half an hour test drive including motorway then you can catch major issues and not buy a lemon.

If tech savvy could also plug in OBD scanner and scan for errors.

Sounds like you bought a car and discovered all issues after the fact. You now can only use their warranty and make them fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

According to this, you are entitled to a refund within 30 days of purchase. Had a similar incident some years ago and made them take it back.

Very annoying and stressful but don't forget the hoor has put his hand in your pocket. Never mind the criticism from the wiseacres on here, the law, thankfully, is protective of your good nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ULEZ23

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Was it bought on line or in person?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Post edited by dickdasr1234 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Before people lay into the OP a lot of those issues could easily be missed on a test drive, and most people would not know to check for panel gaps and missing clips. This is why it is important to bring someone along who knows something about cars or better yet a trained mechanic.

From the description it certainly sounds like the car has had some crash damage, and has been poorly repaired at best. It is also highly unlikely that it was bought from a Toyota main dealer.

If the garage is offering to repair the issues then let them do their work to make it right, request a courtesy car in the interim which will focus their minds on doing it sooner rather than later.

Sorry for your trouble OP, it's a tough lesson to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Sorry for your trouble OP.

Might be worth engaging a motor engineer to do an assessment and report on it so you have evidence of faults and repairs. Tell the dealer that this is what you plan to do.

The dealer will do the bare minimum to string you along until the warranty is out.

I’d honestly go in with both boots on this and get a solicitor involved now.They have seen this all before and know how to sort this quickly.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Don’t go in off the bat with a solicitor. Let the garage at least try and remedy the problem first.

Given the list of things the OP has said is wrong with the car, would you trust the garage to fix it when they sold it like that? I wouldn’t. How can you be guaranteed they fixed everything?

OP has lost confidence in the car, dealer won’t take it back. This has very quickly gone legal IMO.

No what’s happened is there’s problems, the OP has requested immediately a refund/replacement and has been told no they will repair the problems.

This is perfectly reasonable a response. What is unreasonable is to jump straight to a solicitor. Who’s going to pay for them?

The OP will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Well if car has been crashed or damaged and buyer wasn't made aware of this the simi seller has a problem.

Did they make you aware of this beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

People buying from a garage thinking ill spend thousands more than private sale and my ass will be covered. Yeah right... spending that kind of money without having it checked over by a mechanic is ridiculous...

If I wasn’t happy with the safety of a car I had bought, I would not hang around and wait for the person who sold it to me to fix it.

Some things can be resolved amicably, others you need legal advice and you need it quickly.

This is not a wait and see situation imo.

The OP not seeking the proper advice on their rights quickly only benefits the other side.

As for paying for it, so what? Nobody is running a charity to help consumers with car purchases that go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Murt2024

I’d agree with Hoodie, bring it to a local mechanic if you know one and ask them to take a look. They should only charge you max 60 euro for an hours labour. They will be able to tell if it was crashed or what’s wrong with it. Might be better again to bring it to a Toyota garage and ask them to do a report. Be more expensive but worth it.

Id then engage a solicitor with the report and request a full refund.

If the OP has to pay 5 or 600 to get a refund of 20k it is well worth the money. Some of those Simi dealers are absolute chancers.

I’ve probably invested more in this thread than it deserves.

I’ll leave it at this. Taking the OP at face value, the dealer knowingly sold them a lemon. I wouldn’t be waiting on that same dealer to fix that lemon.

You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Document everything. Get a 3rd party assessment done. Write to the dealer detailing your concerns and list every fault.

Give them a chance to fix everything and if they don't write to them again saying you intend to reject the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I agree with @hoodie6029 the car sounds like it being crashed and badly repaired. Many garages for ages ( and some still do) think that consumer protection laws do not apply to them or second hand cars.

The 30 day rules applies as far as I know. You should insist on returning and a refund.

Do not let the 30 days pass then he can keep trying to repair it for ages

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

where did they come up with this right to cancel?

Is the right to cancel not to do with distance contracts etc where you can't inspect the goods

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭goochy

the fact that a CHR ended up at what i assume is a used car dealer is suspicious enough unless its a jap import , might explain why it ended up there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭User1998

I’d like to see a link to something reputable stating this 30 day rule. Not just the Indo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Consumer Rights Act 2022 Section 24 Short Term Right to Terminate Contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭goochy

if he didnt buy car online - sight unseen , you must give the dealer a chance to repair faults - if after a number of occasions they cannot fix fault - then you can reject car

Not within the first thirty days same as with a mobile phone or a watch. Nobody will take back a car over a minor fault. In this case there is multiple faults, the car seems to have been crashed and repaired and it was not declared to the buyer.

Slava Ukrainii

No not in the case of serious faults or where a car was crashed or clocked and the dealer did not inform the buyer. Ingorance is no defence for a car dealer as they are considered the professional in this case. You are protected by consumer rights. With a crashed or clocked car you have rights up to three years later but you follow it up as soon as you are aware

To add to what I linked already thus is more clarification

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 pmac180

Thanks a million. Only reading responses now. You are a great bunch

Advertisement