Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice for retired couple

Options
  • 10-01-2024 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there,

I have been following the debates with much interest. Fast changing scenarios and volatile pricing needs bravery, and a bit of sage advice hopefully.

Us . Retired couple with 90% short spins of 40km. Occasional trips from Co.Galway to Dublin Airport 225km one way.

I'm trying to put a list of options, new preferably in the small SUV segment . I'll whittle down after test drives. I have PV panels but no battery.

All advice appreciated.

So far

VW ID.3

MG MX4

BYD Dolphin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

You'll be fine in all of them but none will do the airport trip without charging on public network. But nothing really will anyway.

They're not really SUV though that you listed, they are small hatchbacks, but not that small! All about the size of a VW golf, maybe a little bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Tesla model Y, RWD, will do that trip no bother, will need a top up on the way up or the way back to get you back to Galway.

Depends on your budget ofc but its higer up and easier to get into which might be soemthing you want, otherwise a Tesla M3 would also be a good option but it will also need a charge to do the return trip.

Factor in no servicing with the Teslas if your doing the sums, th other cars will need some level of servicing which will add up cost wise.

Test drives are a must.

Enjoy the car hunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭eagerv

I was going to suggest splashing out a bit, we know that you deserve it..😋

After having a few EVs now, the advantage of Tesla Supercharging should not be overlooked, just plug in with no messing around with apps etc. As mentioned above the Model Y is a comfortable cruiser, with excellent software and user interface.

Edit, drive as many as possible..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gleannirce

Many thanks. As an engineer I really like the Tesla. Herself isn't so keen. Wants a small SUV. I haven't see many references to ground clearance. It's an issue with ICE vehicles around here because there's so many potholed bog roads. So that's a factor for us also. Views welcome again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭eagerv

Kia Niro or Hyundai Kona. Kona was previously very small, but new model looks bigger. Otherwise hard to look past the Chinese brands, BYD Atto and Dolphin look interesting. VW ID.3 or Cupra Born also worth looking at..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭crl84

Most of the options have been mentioned. Maybe add the Volvo EX30 which is to be released soon.

Second hand Hyundai Ioniq5s are in the price range of new models of the ones you've listed.

All of them will do the trip to the airport no problem even in winter, but will probably need charging on the way back (unless it's a warm summer day and you go at 100kmh!).

MG4, Cupra Born and ID3 all have 77KW battery options which would do that trip return without stopping in most weather conditions, but it's probably not worth the extra expense over the cheaper battery models for such an infrequent journey and having to do a 10min charge on a 4hr+ trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,681 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Renault Mègane E-Tech with the 60kw battery. Worth looking at and test driving.

If you can wait the new Scenic is due out later in the year and is fully electric too.

The new Peugeot 3008 electric due out later in the year too will have a 700km range so in real life probably 500km range still really good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

May I suggest a kia xceed phev, around 37k new 40 to 50 km range on battery, if its anything like the niro then its a 50 mpg car, your airport trip would cost you 50 euro in petrol.

last thing you need is a so called "10 minute stop" at 3 in the morning coming back from the airport. My mother and father are retired also, both have phevs, my mother usually gets the bus, but it requires one of us to drive her to and collect her from the bus stop.

I have done 4 airport runs of 330 km since June with a total of 8000km all for 210 euro in petrol, on 176 mpg(1.6l/100km) and 16 kwh/100km

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-xceed-kia-x-ceed-phev-facelift/33224601

This one is 29.5k, 1 year old, only 4500km, tax is 140e, 7 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭sh81722

It depends how often those 3 am stops on occasional airport trips occur. But I'd say for the rest of the trips the just about any EV would be more pleasant than the xceed PHEV. Do the Kia PHEVs still require engine to be running for heating?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Say 3 pm either, its not going to be a 10 minute stop the best of times.

Some times the only way I know the engine is on is when I see the rev counter, I would honestly love to know what you all were driving before you got a BEV.

Good question, it seems like a yes, I am not 100% on that, shame really, I cannot see a heating element costing a whole lot,

any way heating is not going to use a huge amount of fuel, on the airport trip in winter it would be an advantage over some of the EV suggestions barely able to make a one way trip and its not a 10 minute charge then.

Buy a phev expect to use petrol, expect to charge it every night, thats it basically, how much petrol depends on how many kms and weather for the kia, other makes have electrical heating if its a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Used 2019/2020 Kona, nice seating position, should have a recent battery replacement (global recall) so essentially a range King for ~€20k, just note small boot. You can charge at multi stall locations in Athlone and Kinnegad so public charging should not be an issue and both locations just off motorway

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

just to add, the Tesla superchargers between Galway and Dublin (two locations) are now open to the public so two more multi stall location options

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement