Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flights to Bangkok

Options
  • 09-01-2024 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping to travel to Thailand this Summer around July/August. I know its peak season but using Skyscanner there seems to be nothing under €1,000 return.

Held off booking before Christmas in the hope of some sales in January with Emirates, Lufthansa etc but there didn't seem to be any.

Was intent on booking directly with an airline but due to price difference I am now considering the likes of MyTrip, Opodo, lastminute.com. How reliable are these does anybody know?? Are there any other flight booking websites I am not aware of or any other tips boardsies might have?? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

July/August is low season in Thailand. November to March is considered peak season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

It's definitely not peak season in Thailand (although it might be in flights from Dublin), it is in the middle of the monsoon period (which is not necessarily a problem, but just expect rain fairly often which might be an issue if you plan to sit on the beach all day). I got flights for early in the year (actual Thai peak season) with Qatar for around 800, these were booked a long time in advance. Generally speaking Xmas would be the most expensive time.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Layne

Thanks for that votecounts. I am tied to that time of the year unfortunately as it is a friend's wedding.

Ryanair, Aer Lingus seemed to have some form of a New Year's sale but the long haul operators like Emirates, Lufthansa etc didn't which was a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Depending on where your friend's wedding is, you can also look at flying into KL and using Air Asia from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

July/August is monsoon season. Don’t know who said it was peak season, please check carefully before booking. Monsoons start mid/end May, my Wife is from Thailand, been there many times & while still a great country to visit anytime of the year, if it’s beach weather You are after, I’m afraid You may be disappointed.

EDIT: Apologies, I just see where You are attending a wedding.

• Advertisement

Just to update I eventually pulled the trigger yesterday. Booked directly with Emirates as I wasn't so sure about likes of MyTrip, Opodo, lastminute.com. 

Looking forward to it now.

Myself and my mate have about 5 days free before the wedding. Didn't book accommodation yet as we have no firm plans in place. Any suggestions on activities or sights to see in Bangkok or general Bangkok area??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

We have about 5 days when we arrive in Bangkok, then we have the wedding which will take up another 5 days or so and at the end we have about another 3 days free before we fly back to Ireland.

In terms of a layover we have a 3 hours in Dubai on the way out and an hour and a half in Dubai on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

that isnt so bad. i had an 8 hour layover in dubai once. torture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Bangkok is a great city to be a tourist in. But first off, where is the wedding? In BKK?

• Advertisement

The wedding is up north near the Cambodian border, a place called Surin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Keep an eye on Secret Flying.

These dates might be too late for you though. https://www.secretflying.com/posts/dublin-ireland-bangkok-thailand-e397-roundtrip/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭wandererz

I used this service several years ago. I thought it was brilliant because you don't have to negotiate with the driver and no chance of being fleeced either.

Also, closer to the time Emirates may give you the chance to upgrade to business class or even bid for business class. If you can afford it, then do it. Well worth it.

I would suggest doing business class on the return journey. I always find returning home after a great holiday disheartening. But a business class return makes up for it. Especially on the A380 Bangkok - Dublin service.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭taratee

What interests you? Bangkok is a fantastic city but it's not for everyone. I am an introvert by nature and whilst I didn't hate the place, I wouldn't be overly keen on it. Secondly, what is your budget like? If you are on a strict budget, your money will go a lot further in other (smaller) cities or in rural Thailand. Finally, take some to time to learn about the culture before you go there.

Advertisement