Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belling Fridge making loud noise like a helicopter

Options
  • 09-01-2024 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭

So I was sitting in my sitting room last night and I heard a loud humming noises walked out to the kitchen and noticed it was coming from the fridge. Unplugged it and it was like the fan winding down and stop. Plugged it back in and a minute late it started again! So unplugged it over night plugged it in this morning before work seemed grand until I opened fridge door and it went again. So left it unplugged as I was afriad to leave it in while nobody is at home. I presume its the Fan or motor thing is the fridge is only 4/5 years old! Surely it should be lasting longer than that. Its a 50/50 integrated fridge.

Anyone any advice? or have similar problems? Like is it worth getting fixed? It has been working great up until this point. I never had to defrost it either in the 4/5 years as its self defrosting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Van Doozy

Often times this problem is caused by something loose touching off the fridge, maybe something adjacent, or left on top of it, or possible it could be a loose screw or bracket on the back of the fridge.

When the compressor is running it causes the fridge to vibrate very slightly. Unnoticeable. But if there's a loose bracket that's holding on e.g. the condenser coil on the back the whole lot can vibrate and sound like you described.

You could slide out the fridge and take a look behind it and see where the noise is coming from. It could be as simple a matter as re fixing a loose screw. Or if your condenser has a fan on it then check it can move freely and it's not rubbing off the housing or there's nothing like a bit of paper caught in it.

if it's an actual technical problem with the refrigeration system - i.e. the noise is coming from the compressor itself, then I reckon you're looking at a new fridge. Best of luck trying to get someone out to fix it- unless of course the manufacturer will or cover it under warranty - I'd be amazed if any independent refrigeration guy would even look at that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Would something become lose over time as its integrated so nothing really gets near it or is on top

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Van Doozy

Because the compressor vibrates as it runs normally (albiet gently) there's every chance something on the back of the fridge may have just come lose and needs a tighten. Or there's something leaning against it / rubbing off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

I had a fridge freezer making odd noises and found it was this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B099W3J4B4 I replaced it easily enough and it's going strong 3 years on. It might be what is wrong with yours.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

When I got home yesterday from work I plugged it back in and the noise didnt come back on thank god! Maybe it was just a built up of ice on the fan. I didt take the fridge out as its built in but I was going too. Thankfully I didnt have to and hopefully that was it. Its a self defrosting fridge I have it about 4/5 years and I have never defrosted it. I didnt think you were meant to as its self defrosting. Do you guys still do a manual defrost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Assuming it is frost free what normally happens is that the fridge door is left partially open , when this happens the temp sensor sees a rise in temperature and brings in the compressor to bring the temp back down c 3 degrees in fridge section. Because the door is not fully closed it can not achieve this and runs on causing a build up of ice in the evap coils eventually building out to the blades of the air circulating fan motor and causing the noise. Under normal running conditions the defrost element is able to get rid of the normal build up of a skin of ice but not able to defrost a huge build up. A manual defrost is then needed bu unplugging the fridge, this sometimes can take up to 36 hours.

Advertisement