Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build & first in a long time

Options
  • 09-01-2024 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi,

I currently have a computer that I'm possibly looking to pass on to my son for his gaming (mostly Minecraft and Stardew so nothing that intensive) and I'm looking to build a new one for myself.

The current rig is okay but nothing special & maybe a little outdated

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR4

I don't necessarily have my budget yet but it'll be in the €1500 to €2500 range probably closer to €2000.

I don't need monitors or peripherals and when it comes to its uses primarily gaming. Now the game that takes up most of my time is Football Manager so graphics are not the be all and end all initially but I do also play some graphically intensive games and would like to transition from console gaming to PC as I am putting money towards the PC instead of a PS5 in the hopes GOW Ragnarök & Ghost of Tsushima do get their PC releases. The hope would be to have a PC that can last me a good few years with maybe some scope to upgrade. Looking at my current games the most graphically intense games I have are probably Total War, Witcher and Hitman but obviously Id like to branch out eventually.

I am a little out of the loop as to what is good these days and I'm a little hesitant in building it myself. I have done it before I'm just not overly confident in handling the installation of the CPU. The only request Id have is that it would have a built in WIFI card. I cant manage a wired connection where it has to go currently and I've had awful trouble with dongles. Since FM does comfortably take up more time than other games I am willing to push for the CPU over a good GPU and potentially save to eventually upgrade GPU if needed. I am not at all bothered with looks. I don't need RGB for the sake of it and if the PC/case itself is ugly it doesn't bother me as long as its practical.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I understand its nearly always better to ask on here when you have cash in hand as prices fluctuate throughout the year but I will be buying in the next few months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Luna84

X670E Gigabyte Aorus Master with 6400MHz DDR5 RAM and a 7800X3D CPU. They should do you for a few years and you have a upgrade option in the future just plonk in a future AM5 X3D CPU when they are released.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭coolguyrko

Thank you for the help. I threw some stuff together on part picker. As I said I'm very out of the loop and cant remember much. Does the below look okay? Took your advice on the CPU/MB. Unsure about most of the rest. Have no real experience with coolers and whether or not I need to get thermal paste as well? The case/PSU/GPU were just looking at recommended lists and seeing if they were affordable. The SSD would be for the OS and the HDD would be for storage along with some other HDDs I already own. Not sure if I've gone overboard in some places and gone under in other places. I have had issues previously with cases and fitting components in them so if anyone has recommendations there that would be helpful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That's a PCIe 3.0 drive, it's only maybe €15 more to a 980 Pro instead and nearly double the speeds with PCIe 4.0.

It looks good but do not order there as they are all US stores. Unless your in America of course. That RAM while good is pointless as it is high frequency RAM which wouldn't really be put to much use especially if just wanting to set XMP as with that RAM you would have to manually set everything and it's also difficult RAM to get over here.

I ordered a new build around August and got most stuff from caseking in Germany and some from amazon.de

Thanks again. The last time I ordered Hardwareversand was still a place. Theyd build it as well. Dearly missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

I've recently put together a new gaming rig for about that budget, including a new case, PSU, fans etc.

MSI PRO Z790-P WiFi + i5-13600KF

Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR5 (4x16GB) it's supposed to go as high as 5.6GHz, but only in dual channel. Quad channel it runs at 4GHz. Still plenty fast though.

Crucial P5 Plus 1TB M.2

MSI RTX 4060 Ventus Black OC 8G

Corsair 3000D case + RM850x PSU

Runs War Thunder, which is both CPU and GPU heavy, in 4K on "movie" settings comfortably at 130fps+.

Got most of the parts on black Friday deals, in some cases with 40%+ discount, so it was worth the wait.

The board can fit max 4 M.2 drives. And the P5 Plus is superb value for money. I wouldn't even consider spinning rust at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/KGjJTY

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (€405.99 @ Caseking)

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit EVO 69 CFM CPU Cooler (€55.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Motherboard: MSI PRO B650M-A WIFI Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard (€180.89 @ Caseking)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (€125.33 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Lexar NM790 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€125.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case (€100.19 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Power Supply: Corsair RM1000e (2023) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€134.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Total: €1129.10

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-10 00:50 CET+0100

And wait until end of January when RTX 4070 Ti SUPER releases.

Alternative 5800X3D / DDR4 build: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/3F44Jy (€900) + GPU

My advice would be to steer clear of AMD CPUs. "Overpriced, and underperforming" is their motto since AMD K5 was a thing. But their propaganda machine is red-hot on social media, with every youtuber and their granny pushing AMD.

What the hell are you on about the 7800X3D is the best gaming CPU. Yes you can match it in some cases with Intels best CPU that costs more but also could run a power station since it draws so much power.

I have been with AMD with a 3700X and then a 5800X and never had any trouble and now I am on a AM5 X670E Aorus Master with a 7800X3D and have had no issues at all.

The significantly cheaper i5-13600KF outperforms it [1][2], and has about the same TDP (125W/181W v 120W/162W).

The equally priced i7-14700KF is way ahead in single/multi-core.

Where the AMDs might get a bit of an edge is lower memory access latency due to larger CPU 7cache, which might give you a few more FPS indeed. Sounds like the OP isn't into competitive gaming though.

In terms of energy cost, you'd have to run the Ryzen at 100% load, 24/7 for about five years before it paid in savings for the higher price compared to the i5. In the reality of mixed daily workloads, that's money you won't ever see back, so I'd rather out it towards more storage or a better GPU.

I've not said AMDs are problematic. Never had a problem with one either. Maybe a better term is that they're "lower value for money".

[1] https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-13600KF-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-7800X3D/m1950757vsm2081998

[2] https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/5059vs5299/Intel-i5-13600KF-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-7800X3D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Post edited by K.O.Kiki on

Have you?

65% worse performance per dollar compared to the i5-13600K.

14% better 1080p gaming performance, 2.7% better 4K gaming performance, and 6% worse overall performance, all while being over 40% more expensive.

You have basically proven all of my arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Coyler

Those goal posts are moving to a different country. The claim was that the 7800X3D is the best gaming CPU money can buy. That is not open to debate. Also high end products are bad value regardless of who sells them, that is also not open to debate. There is without question value in the Intel range as you get down to the i5 chips. Even the i3 chips. Nobody here is arguing that.

Also 3D cache doesn't just help with extra frames but less 1% lows as well which has an impact across all games. And on top of that the AM5 platform will see at least another architecture upgrade at some point while all remaining sockets are now EOL. Those factor into how some would see going AM5 being the better choice at this budget.

And Userbenchmark isn't reliable. Think about it. What is more realistic? That AMD has bought off every media outlet in order to get favorable coverage over Intel or Userbenchmark isn't a good site. And before you answer you do know that AMD has $5 on hand and Intel has something in the region of $25 billion cash in the bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I think they've only just lowered the price after Christmas cause they released 14th gen (or 13.1 gen depending on who you ask)

Regardless if you're buying a CPU and holding on to it for a 3 or 4 years that €100 difference in price is basically SFA

You can compare all sorts on the User bench mark but the main reason the 7800X3D is the preferred gaming CPU is not because of the clock its because it has a big L3 cache, this for many games translates to extra FPS and at the end of the day, that's all that matters. (For Gamers)

Like the AMD Ryzen 9 7900X clocks higher than the AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D. The latter is geared towards gaming.

Also in industry (Servers etc) there is demand for AMD EPYC processors as they're so incredibly far ahead of Intel and cheaper. It's not just Youtubers.

Honestly not bothered by either AMD or Intel (though I believe Ive previously only ever used Intel but wasnt exactly intentional) Purely as FM is heavily reliant on CPU over anything else Im willing to spend the extra money there and upgrade the GPU down the line. Personally dont know much about the differences but Ive seen the AMD mentioned recommended both on review sites, here and on other boards sites for PC builds.

As you say if Im keeping it the extra few years Im willing to push the money out on the CPU

Advertisement