Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone launches TV Play

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Still able to use old box. Contract up next month. Have been paying less than fifty bucks for BB and TV. Due to go up to 85. Rang up to negotiate. Advised no negotiation available on 'old' platform. Fee is 85 and likely service due to be stopped at any point. I can go onto 'upgraded' TV platform for 50 bucks for first 4 months, 55 for next 2 months and 65 thereafter.

Tbh if I was forced to use an inferior TV product I would probably switch to Work as there are more channels recordable on their TV service and what looks like a better piece of hardware for what I can tell is a better initial prize.

Any advice welcome but paying 85 bucks a month ain't an option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Got this during the week. I hate it already.

Pro's: my TV isn't smart so the preloaded apps are good. Means no need for firestick or alternative. Coverage to my daughters room was never good so old VF box never worked nore did smart stick. This works perfect for her as she watches most things on apps

That is really it for pro's

Cons:

Tv guide is terrible

Bot being able to record some channels is terrible BBC and C4 being 80% of my recordings

Sports on now TV means i can't record (I mainly only record UFC as its on at 3am )

I actually haven't got it yet, still waiting a week for them to set it up

Not being able to record channel 4 is a big one as 70% of my recordings are on this. Also you can't get All4 app so it's a major pain.

Programme searching is terrible.

I think the sound isn't great and reverted back to it coming out of my TV

------------

I have 3 boxes (so 2 multirooms) im going to see if the old box still works. If so ill keep the 2 mulitrooms and continue the old box in the main room

If not I'm going to try return it and go back to the old box as it's not fir for purpose in my home at all

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Useful summary. Restriction on not being able to record BBC is a major limitation, because BBC i-Player is not available in Ireland. Unlike Vodafone, the Eir streaming box (Apple TV 4K) allows unrestricted cloud recording of BBC & C4, and the All4 app also works on it. Only RTE & VM are restricted from recording with eir, and they have some availability on the catch-up feature, as well as their players. Eir also allow you to add additional multi-room boxes without paying the multi-room fee, if you buy them yourself, so the total monthly fee for TV remains at €9.99 per month. All the TV providers seem to be moving away from the legacy boxes with unrestricted hard-disk recording. Eir was the first, but Sky, Vodafone & VM have followed, and it is is probably only a matter of time before they force users off the legacy boxes. The commercial channels don't want to lose the revenue from adverts, so they will likely find a way of forcing you to watch the ads or charge a premium rate to go ad free. The streaming platforms can also localize the adverts more accurately than traditional cable or satellite distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Sky won't get rid of Q anytime soon, too big an earner for them, but the cost of streaming provided by a few good servers somewhere, is I presume the hell of a lot cheaper than the cost of keeping satellites running thousands of miles in space, so I agree, eventually, all tv will be via broadband, when every house has 1GB broadband available to them , this won't be an issue, but they need to sort out something with RTE, Virgin, BBC and CH4 and these channels big dislike for cloud recording.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sky has its space on Astra leased through to 2028

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

2028 only 4 years away, I wonder when Sky's option to renew beyond 2028 is due ? I don't think they'll ditch satellite in favour of streaming as soon as 2028.

I don’t either. Right now Stream is exclusively targetted at new customers, they’re doing nothing to encourage the existing customer base to move over, the only way I think they will be able to do it is to offer substantial discounts to Stream customers. An even bigger issue will be how to move over the huge commercial customer base as they typically have a business requirement to keep multiple tvs in sync which satellite is great for but streaming less so. Vodafone and eir don’t really have that issue as they don’t really target that market for TV, VM does but is a much smaller player in it than Sky.

I tried to switch back to old box and told I can't.. missed a weekend of sports as now TV wasn't added yet

I'd only go to Sky other than Vodafone ( preference) but dont want a satellite either on the house as it means a wire being drilled in

I have been reading about Sky stream but am I right in saying you cannot record on this?

We are at risk of turning this into a Sky thread at this stage (and I appreciate the recording Q is being asked across the Vodafone/eir/Sky threads and I’m not sure if there’s something we can do to organise that better - maybe a sticky?). But to answer the Q.

Sky Stream works on the basis of a “playlist” feature. You don’t record things you add them to your Playlist. If the channel has a catch up service (this includes BBC on Sky Stream) and the programme is available on that service a link to it will be created. If not, you may still be able to access a cloud recording, if the channel allows it, once the programme has aired linearly. I believe this feature is available on most channels that don’t have a catch up service but I am not sure if there’s a list someone as Sky are trying to make it seem seamless, as if it shouldn’t matter what the source is. Unfortunately the limitations on BBC catch up in particular do mean it does matter.

Your limited preferences appear to have ruled out any available options that allow recording! Vodafone won't allow you keep their legacy box, which previously allowed recording. Sky don't allow recording on Stream, but you don't want a dish. Your preference for Sky or Vodafone only has ruled out Eir TV on the Apple TV 4k box - the only Streaming platform that currently allows unrestricted recording of UK channels, and also supports apps such as Now TV, All4 etc. It looks like you will need to relax your preferences if you want a solution? It is an interesting dilemma - which most other users have not analysed quite as clearly - but it is likely to be a choice faced by most in the coming years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 BBBBBBBB9999

I went through this process a couple weeks ago (as you can see in some of the prior threads). For the NOW service, you just sign up (I did it online) and it should come on pretty much immediately. You have to do it yourself, they don't do it for you (nobody told me this, I just had to figure it out myself).

Got NowTV sorted, my order wasn't "complete", as soon as it was "NOWTV" dropped in, I am kind of coming around to it, specifically as I have no choice really.

For the channels that cant be recorded (BBC there is nothing that can be done) my workaround for example C4 is to save the programme we like as a favourite and its sort of a reminder to go onto All4 to watch it. Although you cant get the all4 app so I need to switch to the firestick to do it.

That all sounds very messy, and still does not give you a solution for recording BBC.

In my view, the BBC channels are the only channels that currently justify paying for a TV bundle, since the BBC i-Player is not available in Ireland, and the BBC have some excellent programmes and no adverts. You could get Now TV, All4, RTE player etc on working smoothly on a good streaming platform such as Apple TV 4K, by buying a box and without paying anyone for any live TV bundle. I would happily pay for BBC i-Player if it was available here as a separate subscription, but €9.99 per month for eir TV seems to be the best way of getting the ability to record BBC without restrictions. I would expect Vodafone to lose customers if they are forced to put up with all those restrictions.

It isn't too messy TBH, adding a channel as a favorite, then watching it back on its streaming platform ( its just there as a reminder)

But I agree, not being able to record on their "new and improved TV platform" is a major block and the main reason customers will leave/not join, so I presume in the near future this will be fixed.

Don’t presume it will be fixed in the “near future”. It’s been (mostly) fixed on Eir, but they had a four year headstart on their streaming platform (around since 2019!) over Sky and Vodafone.

TLDR: it will (probably) be fixed eventually, but not tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 done123

When I got eir Tv in 2019, it was really bad too, unable to record, It is interesting that you can record Virgin media channels on Vodafone TV play, not on eir tv atm. The more competitions the better for all consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Hi,

Have Gigabit fibre with vodafone and thinking of adding their TV - the guy in the shop was not great on details but this is what I was hoping to get an answer on:

If I get the TV box, does it connect to the existing vodafone router via a ethernet cable ? (supplied? how long? )

I run a second router off my vodafone one for home networking, would this effect the set up ?

The guy in the shop was convinced everything worked over bluetooth for the TV, I assume he is wrong and no interest in showing him up so didn't push the matter. Was hoping someone here might know ?

Merged

Be very careful - read the reviews above. Fitzparker wrote a very comprehensive review #33 - there are a lot of issues with Vodafone TV Play, and you can't "downgrade" to their legacy box if you sign up for the new box. The main problems relate to inability to record channels. The only service that you are allowed to record is VM! This is particularly an issue for BBC channels, since BBC i-Player is not available in Ireland. The Vodafone box also does not run the All4 app for the Channel4 suite of channels. The boxes can be connected either on Ethernet or WiFi, so that is not an issue. The multiroom service is €10 per month per box extra plus €99 extra installation per box. This doesn't compare well with eir's TV streaming platform, which is €9.99pm for multichannel service, with the first Apple TV 4K box and no extra monthly or installation charges for multiroom if you buy your own multiroom boxes (eir sell refurbished boxes for €59.99 on their eir Store site). The Apple TV box used by Eir is better than the Vodafone one, and has good sound output options, and works well over WiFi. It is also not proprietary, so you can continue to use it afterwards if you move away from eir. Eir allow unrestricted recording of UK channels, including BBC, and all the player apps including All4 app, but RTE & VM do not allow cloud recording, and you have to use the catch-up feature, or their players. Regarding your question about routers - it is not good practice to have a second router on your network. This could cause problems with double-natting etc. If you need to extend WiFi, you should use additional Access Points, or a Mesh system without an additional router.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

My contract with Vodafone expired in October last year, I rang up to get a new deal and locked in for 12 more months.

Was told on the phone I'd need a new TV box but not why. Kept getting texts saying their was a new box being issued to me soon but there was an issue.

Bills started getting charged at a out of contract rate leaving me to ring them every month for them to credit the difference, they said the reason why my contracted rate was I haven't accepted the new box yet, I was like ye never sent me one.

Eventually they sent me a TV Play box but it won't pick up my account, someone has to manually add it to the system and remove the old box, that was 3 weeks ago, and after reading the reviews above I hope they forget about it. I re-newed on 6th of October so this issue has now been going on 4 months now.

When I rang 3 months ago to say the new box is not working I did ask why did I get sent this box I was happy with the old one they said we are phasing out the old boxes eventually it will stop working so everyone will have to move and the new one is cheaper, now I see why it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭raddo

Sorry for the long post but might help someone.

We have had Vodafone TV for several years. While it was a pain to get it turned on (refer to previous Vodafone TV thread), we were happy with, basic TV channels , easy to navigate and very little down time.

Our contract ended in January, and we were told that we could get the new Vodafone TV Play Box with 1 Gig Broadband for €65. Happy with that so signed up.

That was on the 19th January. Was told that the box would be sent out by courier asap. Waited over a week and no sign of box.

Contacted them on 30th January, only to be told that the order had been cancelled, they didn’t know why. Re-ordered it again, box arrived on Thursday, 1st February.

Hooked it up but got an error message saying that it couldn’t find my account. Contacted Vodafone on Twitter and rang them numerous times. Was told to keep using the older box until I was contacted to say that my account was linked to the new box.

Kept messaging them on Twitter to remind them but nothing, then Tuesday evening old box stopped working. Connected new Play box and it worked, no contact from them.

Onto the Vodafone Play TV box; first impressions it seems fine for what we use it for.

Pro’s

Seems to be more channels with the Restart Programme option.

Quick access buttons, Disney +, Prime Video etc and Netflix button works, unlike previous box.

RTE and VM Player seem to be better and addition of TG4 Player is a plus.

Option to install “other” apps on the box may have its advantages down the line.

Con’s

No recording on certain channels as other posters have mentioned.

Remote seems to only turn off box, doesn’t seem to be an option to setup TV control.

In the TV Guide the preview screen seems to cover up a large portion of the EPG.

While the sound from the box is good, there seems to be a slight delay in the dubbing.

When you select another HDMI input on the TV, the sound still keeps playing from the Play TV box. The box has to be turned off to watch another HDMI.

The above two items are why I’ve selected to use the TV sound output thus making one of their selling points redundant.

I’ll keep using it and just hope that I don’t have to contact customer service, as that really seems to be Vodafone’s biggest downfall.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm having the same issue you had with the box not working it's been almost 5 weeks now, but judging the negatives I think I'm happy to use the old box. Hopefully they will forget to switch me over.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pissedasanewt

Fairly pee'd off with Vodafone. I signed up to the service when a guy called to the door. After I found out i couldnt record on most channels I contacted support. I was told it was a copyright issue and would be resolved soon. Had the box a few months and when I rang back there I was told its not a copyright issue. No recording on any good channels period. Now its to late to cancel the contract as its past 30 days.

I've also had a lot of issues with the box itself, it crashes about once a night and i've to basically plug out the tv play box or the sound is out of sync with the picture and i've to restart the program is its a streaming service.

I only switched to Vodafone as virgin media couldn't get their act together with regard to upgrading the internet, but i'll be ditching vodafone tv as soon as this contract is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ended up with EIR TV after my earlier post above and advice provided subsequently. Had it just over a month now.

The broadbad does what it said on the tin and the way they have the TV service setup has allowed me to use the whole thing would needed to use the ISP's router/modem so I use my own.

The TV service has been very good. Had a couple of issues resetting an apple account password that I haven't used in years in order to install apps but thats not Eirs fault. Got that sorted. Installed a few of the players, Amazon Prime etc and signed up for their free year.

All working fine. The recording works well on the channels you can record on, and the players are pretty good. Only issue really is having to watch adds (my OH uses the device, not me, but she has gotten used to this)

So far a decent service with no real issues etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭billgibney

At the moment I still have the sky plus box and only use have it for the no fuss recording abilities

My wife likes the soaps and records them to watch when she's home.

I cancelled the sky and was on my 30 days notice when they offered me a deal of 22 a month for a year so I stayed.

I'm looking for an alternative atm for next year and the nearest one I can see is ibox, this gives me all the free to air channels for a tenner a month, no recording ability but a 7 day playback so it does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Peshy101

Mine arrived today and it’s already going back.

No idea who designed this thing but it’s useless. Firstly, you can’t use with external speakers such as Sonos. You have to use the inbuilt speaker which is NEVER happening. The built in speaker is terrible.

Secondly, absolutely rubbish channels compared to Sky who, for €25 (cheaper than Vodafone) include Sky Entertainment channels as well as the basic ones, Netflix and Discovery+.

The lady at Vodafone didn’t seem at all surprised that I wanted to cancel. I guess lots of people are returning theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They should spend less money on advertising, and more money on resolving the issues. I don't think anyone is happy with this product.

Advertisement