Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking an accounting package (coming from FreeAgent in the UK)

Options
  • 09-01-2024 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Has anybody ever used FreeAgent in the UK?

I am in the process of moving back to Ireland from the UK to set up a business.

When I was in the UK, I was an IT contractor with a limited company and used FreeAgent, which was frankly, pretty amazing.

All under one roof it had things like personal expense management, bank integrations, VAT returns etc along with my personal and corporation tax assessments etc.

After a quick scan of the web, it looks like there isn't really anything close to FA in Ireland (without spending a lot, I guess). I'm currently looking at Sage Accounting but it also seems a bit basic.. my accountant has said they use Surf Accounts (seems more basic)... but I can use anything I want, he just needs a couple of things exported come end of year, return time (limited co.).

My frustration with Sage is that it seems basic enough (Accounting Start). I suppose the reality is that it doesn't have customised User Interfaces for various accounting functions.. but does offer the ability to create journals and ledgers etc.. so I should be able to set it up how I want.

A couple of items I am concerned about now are the accounting for capital expense with depreciation over time, and personal expense accounting

With these basic packages I am just worried that there will be a lot of work to do at the end of the year come filing time..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭CWMMC

Sage although isn't perfect would be one of the best if not the best options in Ireland. Big Red Cloud/Book depending on which you use are very very beginner and don't over much if not any options to change, whilst giving the bare minimum report. Surf is like a cheaper version of Sage and I would advise you to stay as far away from it as you can. I've had a few clients on this software and I needed to take them off it, it was nothing but a headache and problems with false promises to fix it. I know recently they have made a few improvements but it's a no from me. Depending if you are using Sage Accounts or Sage online there is a few differences between them now. I'd recommend Sage one/online as it gives you graphs and can be accessed anywhere aslong as you have the login information and it sounds like the FreeAgents that you were talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

Ok thanks a lot @CWMMC

I've been playing around with the free trial. It's basic, for sure. It didn't take me long to realise that everything in accounting is just a bunch of journals where you DR/CR from various different ledgers.. so I can setup directors loan account, expense accounts etc.. all good.

After that I guess I will need to pay for the Payroll add as the rules and calculations would be non trivial - even if it's just for my own salary, which is a bit annoying - I am assuming there is no way around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭CWMMC

Yes you can set up your own codes and edit them to how you want them or rename them. In regards to the payroll it's a complete different package which in my view should be included as it would make sense but you would need the two separate programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

Ok thanks CWMMC

Definitely agree the Payroll should be included and makes sense, but I guess it keeps the entry level price of Sage Accounting lower and thus more attractive.

Do you mind if I ask your another question.

Say for example I setup an "Expense Account: john doe" - I understand I can add various items against it. But how do I cater for VAT. It looks like the VAT is set for the category - but what happens if I am expensing items with different levels of VAT.

Seems like the only logical solution right now is to create multiple expense accounts - one for each VAT rate? Seems a bit clunky.

Honestly, I'm a little bit apprehensive about using this now as it seems super basic and I'm afraid that I might start into using it, only to come across an array of problems come filing time with my accountant. It feels as though the let third part developers plug the gaps of functionality, but this isn't what I am looking for.

What are the alternatives? More advanced accountant level packages? How do other people get on with this? Maybe I am asking for too much and at the end of the day it does provide enough functionality?

Thanks

EDIT: Actually - I think I can answer the first part of my question - The VAT accounting doesn't matter on the debit side, it's on the credit side that matters? i.e. I bought a desk with VAT at 23% goes into the office furniture section (that is configured for standard vat rate).. on the expense account side, I am only tracking the amount of money owed to employee. So I would set the VAT rate at zero, correct?

Advertisement