Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sold car for parts/repair

Options
  • 08-01-2024 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

I sold my old car for scrap value nearly for parts/repair as it was a seriously unsafe vehicle which needed a lot of work. After I sold it the buyer relisted it for 6x the price claiming 100% engine, gearbox, etc, that nothing is wrong with it. Is there any way I can report this? The car had a failing head gasket, failing flywheel, and it was so rusty it would be financially unfeasible based on rust repair alone to get it sorted for an NCT. It's currently advertised on facebook, donedeal as well as adverts. I was able to leave a comment on the adverts post explaining everything wrong with it but I can't do this for the facebook or donedeal ads.

I should have copped on and not sold him the car when he asked to keep the logbook. I told him I'd never give the logbook away when I'm selling a car in a million years, so he can either fill it in or walk home. If I had any cop on I would have ended the sale there and then, but here we are now. I am losing sleep over it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭User1998

Its his car now and he can do what he wants with it, its none of your business and theres nothing you can do about it. What he’s doing is immoral but isn’t illegal so just forget about it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Do the ads show it has a valid NCT?

Are you losing sleep over the immorality or getting stuffed on the price?

Neither is productive

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭gossamerfabric

"This car has a hole in the subframe large enough to put your hand through, it needs a clutch, flywheel and master/slave cylinder, the head gasket is failing, the A/C compressor is failing, the rear passenger door is locked shut and requires a new door lock (good luck finding one) and it also requires extensive bodywork and paint repairs on the bonnet and arches. Worth avoiding."

seems like a special breed of person to be trying to sell this on as a runner.

This is why I think it is often better to repair a car you own and know than buy another cheap car to replace it as there are sharks out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Was it by any chance to those behind the we buy your car for cash stickers ?

If you sold it for destruction, you should be getting a cert of destruction as part of ELVES. You would have to hand over the log book as part of thet process.

If sold to private buyer thats a change of ownership and log book should be retained and sent away to register new owner. Inhindsight, not a good idea to put your trust in them to strip the parts and then decommision the car for you.

Good point above on the NCT. Your OP would indicate it may not have one

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Purely private sale. Not cash for cars, just an enthusiastic young eastern European fella. Looking back I should have just scrapped it, it's not worth the headaches dealing with a private sale when the car is in such poor nick. Valuable lesson learned... I did keep the logbook and sent it to Shannon myself.

• Advertisement

That fellow has offered a very large number of cars for sale on Adverts.ie.

If his approach to all was the same as for this car then he really leaving people with major repair bills and write-offs on their hands along with some down-right dangerous cars on the roads...if his approach to all is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Fair play for caring enough to try and action it, but it's now sold as a private sale and is out of your name and belongs to the other lad now so even if it sounds harsh, it's not your problem to worry about anymore.

Please don't be loosing any sleep over it, you did absolutely nothing wrong and did the sale the exact correct way by keeping and posting the VRC.

It would be a lot different if it was a garage, but situations like this are why everyone on here will always be advised to bring someone who knows about cars to view/inspect a private sale prior to purchase as we all know there's zero comeback on them. Sounds very harsh I know but buyer beware.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Agreed. By the way Sherlock 😄, how do you know who the buyer/new seller is?

If they are frequent sellers of vehicles, could they be flagged to Adverts/Done deal as a trader/business? Maybe pointless as they can open new accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fcuking hell, so just ignore it, and move on with life, no wonder theres so many cowboys out there, holy fcuk!

op, do whatever you can to try stop this sale, even though you may not be successful, do it, and try not be too hard on yourself, could happen to anyone...

possible to report to cops?

I just searched for "100%" in adverts and found the new seller. Car is not 100% by any stretch of the imagination. He has 3 cars up for sale at the moment and many of the messages relate to other cars for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭JamBur

What type vehicle, so I know what to avoid:)

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Put up a link to the car

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭JamBur

I dont agree with the others about moving on. I also would be furious in this scenario.

I once paid what was quite a lot of money to me for a car which after sale appeared to have been sold on with a worn crankshaft which they had disguised with a new set of big end bearings which lasted less than 1000k km.

These guys are out there at this end of the market preying upon those who can least afford to lose money.

It is why I'm now in the repair rather than replace school of motoring.

Very good. Yes, found it too.

Drives well and immaculate inside and out...🤔

Another listed as 'NCT ready, just waiting for date' and further down 'needs new rear bumper'. From photo it's hard to see if there are sharp edges on the bumper. if so, it's NCT Ready to Fail'.

Here's a bit of good news, Donedeal have listened to my report and took the ad down on their platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Fair play for following up on it. Most wouldnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

To be honest looking at the car, it seems you threw it away and he is going to do a quick flip and pocket 7 or 800 probably.

I didn't 'throw it away', I naively thought that because it was a Saab someone would have interest in keeping it for parts. It had plenty worth salvaging like the lights, recently fitted suspension parts, body panels. I've learnt my lesson, Next time I'll just scrap.

• Advertisement

Yeah that I did do. Felt very pressured into selling as your man had taken two buses to get to me apparently. I'm going to take a couple of negotiation classes, probably need it.

These guys have every trick in the book.

I'm sure he told you he just needed a couple of bits off it and would scrap it.

It is probably easily repairable for someone to do as a DIY. New subframe, bit of welding etc.

To be fair to the current owner, he is entitled to ask whatever he wants for it. If it has not got a test, anyone buying and assuming all is well and not having a thorough look through it deserves to get caught out. If they have no knowledge, they should bring someone who does.

That is true - and by reporting his ads I know I have done all I can. I need to put it out of my head, only problem is that the whole experience seriously knocked my confidence in my search for a new car. I have a really bad taste left in my mouth from it all.

Advertisement