Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green shooting star last night

Options
  • 08-01-2024 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I stepped outside my back door at approx 5.55 pm yesterday to look at the stars. I wasn't out there 10 seconds when I saw a bright green shooting star in the sky to the east. It only appeared for barely a second. Is this a common thing I wonder? I love looking at the stars but rarely get to do it as it's cloudy 99% of the time. I live in west Kerry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Very common in dark sites like West Kerry. A beautiful site to see.

Hope you made a wish!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 thedeer

It was amazing and I did make a wish! Last year my sister and I were walking up Main Street in Dingle when we saw something similar but it was multi-coloured and lasted slightly longer. I wish we had clear skies more often because there's nothing more amazing than a starry sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Absolutely amazing to think that what you saw could have been a piece of asteroid that was floating about in space since the dawn of time and broke off into a little meteor, which then came down to earth and you were the last person to witness it before it burned up in the Earth's atmosphere.

Like it's being lying out there in status for billions of years waiting to give you a mini personalised fireworks display.

Post edited by o1s1n on

• Registered Users Posts: 9 thedeer

That's mind boggling alright. I'm going to have to swot up on all of this astronomy stuff!

Advertisement