Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do these need to be removed for NCT?

Options
  • 08-01-2024 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

Any advice please is welcomed.

I know nothing whatsoever about cars. Are these alloys and do they need to be removed for an NCT ? What is that thing tied to a part of the wheel? It's been there since I got the car. Do I simply cut it off?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its a cable tie so can be cut off, you need the wheel nuts exposed for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I don't know much about mechanical things myself, but I know a cable tie when I see one! :)

Wheel nuts have to be visible for the NCT, so yes, you'll need to snip that piece of plastic and remove the wheel covers. They'll slot back in easily afterwards. No mechanical knowledge needed!

The cable tie is just to stop the wheel cover from falling off during general motoring, going over bumps or into potholes or whatever. You'll pick them up in any hardware shop or even what used to be called "Pound Shop" for just a couple of euro.

By the way, they're wheel covers rather than alloys, but main point is that yes, you'll need to remove them all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭standardg60

Snip the cable tie and pull off the covers.

When putting them back on there's a cutout to fit round the tyre valve so line this up and tap them back on. Replace the cable ties too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Thank you all very much.

Do I just pull those wheel covers off? No tools needed or anything? They just come off like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

just pull them - might need a hard yank to get them off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Yes. Just give them a pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That plastic wheel trim needs to be removed from each before you do the NCT as the wheel nuts are not visible with them in place when inspected. Those are just cable ties that help to secure the wheel trim to the wheel rim. You can cut them off with a pair of snips, Stanley knife or even scissors. The plastic wheel trim clips onto the rim without the cable tie but some people put cable ties on to secure it further if it comes loose over time. There are pros and cons to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Thank you all very much for help.

Job done. It was way too tight to pull by hand so I slowly prised open with crowbar.

Advertisement