Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro vs Kia Xceed vs Seat Leon PHEVs

Options
  • 08-01-2024 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,014 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking at a new car and want to move to a PHEV. Looking at my budget and my options, it looks like these 3 models are in or around my price range

2020 Kia Niro

2020 Kia Xceed

2021 Seat Leon

I have read a number of reviews and cant see a whole lot that would split them. Anyone any experience of them, anything you would recommend, avoid etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

The Niro would be the better of the three. I have a 2020 Niro Phev & I'm very happy with it.

Lovely to drive & very comfortable. Has all the bells & whistles you might need. Mine has full leather trim. I don't know if all the 2020 Niro's came with that.

It is the same as my previous Hybrid Niro but with the larger battery. You will get about 50 klm out of a battery charge driving pure electric.

There was an upgrade to the Niro about 2020 so make sure you get an upgraded one which has a larger infotainment screen & different light arrangement on the front of the car. There are other upgrades on the improved Niro as well.

I have mine about six months now & it's been spot on.

But don't take my word for it. Take all three for a good drive & see what suits you.

If I can give you any further information just let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

What is your daily commute round trip in km? Do you own your own home and have an iff street driveway?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,014 ✭✭✭✭event

Daily commute would be low enough, some days I might not drive at all, I WFH. If I do pop in to town, its a 20 mile round trip, few times a week. I do have to drive to my parents regular enough though and to Dublin (100 mile round trip) and the charging infrastructure isnt great so thats why went PHEV.

Yes, I have off street parking, around the back of my house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

You're mad going phev for that driving pattern. A full EV, like the Niro EV will cover your long commute twice over without public charging. Similar price to the phev too

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Nothing you've said implies that you'll ever have to actually use the public charging infrastructure if you were to get a home charger. An EV would be perfect for you.

I'm similar, work mostly from home, into the city centre once or twice a week, local driving and the odd longer trip. EV all day long, I've only needed to use the public charging network half a dozen times (possibly less) in two years, without any hassle at all.

If you really need an engine, then of the cars you've mentioned the Niro would probably be my choice, then the Leon. Xceed isn't that nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

An eNiro 64kWh will go at least 240km.in any weather, 300km typically, 450 driven slow in summer. It would only require public charging on trips more than 200/300km from.home round trip.

Check the real world worst case range on your phev. Some tend to have terribly slow EV only ranges and some only heat the cabin using petrol so engine runs all winter. The Niro phev may have a 30+ mile range so should do all local trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

My parents had a 2020 Niro PHEV, replacing it tomorrow with the new Kona EV. Could just be a one off but it gave them a lot of trouble when running on petrol. Multiple times they've ended up at the side of the road with warning lights going off everywhere, spark plugs constantly failing. Kia initially just kept replacing the spark plugs and sending them on their way and pretending nothing was wrong with it, eventually they were told they weren't using the petrol engine enough which is why they were having so much trouble (90%+ of their driving on it would be electric, which was the whole point of the car to them).

They no longer trusted it for any kind of long journey so decided to get rid, the electric motor worked perfectly for them though and they've decided to take the plunge and go full EV this time.

Advertisement