Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tripods

Options
  • 07-01-2024 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Has anyone ever had any luck with something like the tripod detailed below as against getting the very expensive " Shooting " tripods

Thanks

Pv

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TheEngineer1

I was using a decathlon shooting tripod for a while. This model did not clamp the rifle, just had a slot to rest it in like any normal shooting sticks. It was fine for short range shots on deer (inside 70m) but I've since switched to a set of home-made quad sticks and the difference is night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

I have a similar tripod for my camera and spotting scope...it would be a very shakey platform for accurate rifle shooting...bit wobbly with good bit of movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭.243

Been using a manfrotto carbon and a hog saddle for years,then moved to a innorel with an arca plate,both of the above worked out cheaper,lighter and more stable than those bog setups,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭clivej

Quad sticks is the way to go. Can be made up with 4 of the green garden sticks from Woodies, B&Q, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Paddyviking

I totally agree, made my first pair as you described but later bought a set of viperflex and love them to bits and once mastered I'm regularly taking shot 200m +. I'd like a tripod for static fox calling but not a Bog Pod as I found it quite big and heavy so just reaching out for any suitable alternatives

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

I bought a vanguard tripod from optics warehouse in their black Friday sale for 239 sterling but they are 299 now. I like it.

I've only used it shooting targets and gongs with the 22 so far. Hope to get it out at the foxes with the 204 soon.

I would be confident enough with it to take a fox at 200 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TheEngineer1

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

I also have the viperflex sticks and they are great.

I bought the tripod for the same reason that you want it for.

A mate of mine bought one for static fox shooting on his farm and has shot a lot of foxes this year with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

I've shot off quadsticks and a bog pod and a "V" topped primos tripod , and a single primos trigger stick

For the money if you are shooting stationary buy a bog pod , I've hit @350m with a bog pod it's steady as can be.

Yes they're heavy but they are steady

For deer shooting you can't beat quadsticks but for night time big open spaces for foxes use a big pod or for targets...

Advertisement