Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone gigabox possible issue

Options
  • 06-01-2024 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi, I have Vodafone Gigabit BB since the end of November. This evening for the first time, I connected the ethernet cable to the laptop and I am having issues, when I try to hit a website or even do a ping, I get a DNS Server not responding message. If I change to WiFi, everything works fine but I just can't seem to connect to anything via ethernet cable.

The reason I was trying to use the ethernet is because I am from a farming background and have 2 calving cameras in the sheds. They are set up on a P2P set up back to the house which then connect to a TP link in the attic which then connects to another TP link downstairs which is connected to the modem via a cable. I had noticed that the cameras were not working since the new BB was taken out with Vodafone and just thought a reset of the TP links and cameras would sync them all up, sadly not!!! Anyone any idea why I am getting the DNS Server not responding when I use the ethernet connection and what the fix might be??

Apologies, networking would not be my strong point but I am comfortable logging into the modem to view settings etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

It's very unusual to have the Wifi and Ethernet not working off the same DNS configuration. I presume you're connecting the laptop directly to one of the Vodafone Gigabox LAN ports?

Have you tried download the Gigabox app from Vodafone and changing the DNS configuration to use a public set of DNS servers?

Public DNS servers:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Correct, I am connecting the laptop directly to one of the LAN ports on the router.

I'll have a look at the public DNS configuration and see if I can make sense of it......I already have the app installed but my knowledge of DNS settings and configuration is non existant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Is the issue with one device on Eth or all/any device on Eth?

If only your laptop - check if you have DNS configured on Eth NIC different than your router/other devices

I'll need to see what else is around the house with an ethernet port. Laptop ethernet works fine when I'm at work in the office (just use the WiFi when at home) so I don't think it's the laptop

Well, check if it is pre-configured. Work laptop? - even more chances it is.

• Advertisement

Win+R on your keyboard

paste and hit Enter

ncpa.cpl

right-click your Ethernet adapter and select Properties

Scroll down to IPv4 and highlight it(do not un-tick), select Properties

Observer if configured to obtain automatically or predefined

Ok had an older laptop lying in a press. Connected it up, LAN connections are working, reset the TP links for good measure, I confirmed internet access in the attic so it looks like my issue is somewhere with the P2P setup from the attic to my sheds.......

potentially dual DHCP...

Is the dual dhcp something I could rectify myself or best left to a technician?

Sure, but first you need to confirm it is.

Just thinking now - perhaps IP range is different and P2P likely would be set on static IPs

Did you got new router with VF upgrade? Do you still have old? compare their default IPs(label on the back)

Was it yourself that set P2P, do you know configuration?

Dont reset anything anymore, before you have a picture what/how it was setup.

• Advertisement

Yes new modem came with VF upgrade and the P2P set up was done by an installer.

So there is posibility that P2P was configured on static IP's and if new router IP range is different(or use one of IP's that were assigned to P2P) then you wont have network going to sheds anymore.

You need to find if new/old router IP' differ. Take it from there. If you didnt reset P2P nodes this should be recoverable. Other than that you face reconfigure them.

CCTV, if they are IP and not coax , could also be set with static IP's for each camera + NVR

Its not to big deal, just takes bit effort and time

Just chatting to the installer, he says he needs to reconfigure the cameras IP addresses to the new modem. Seems to be a bit of hassle if someone changes ISP provider, be some job on if he had a 1000 installations and they all changed supplier at the same time.

Not realy...

What is important , is to know initial configuration in place(make sure you record this time)

If you ever again change ISP/modem/router and it comes with different IP range as default, all you need is to change IP range on the new modem/router to match the one on the way out - the rest of the network remain the same.

Anyway, out of curiosity, dug out the old modem, Default IP Addresses are different on each

Old Default IP Address ends in 254

New Default IP Address end in 1

I guess the installer needs to connect his laptop to each camera and simply update this address. I might have a go and connect my laptop up and see if i can connect to a camera and see anything.....

Any network connected device require certain set of parameters to be configured to be able to communicate. "Default gateway" is one of them, "DNS" is the other.

In domestic setups your ISP router serve to provide all these metrics and in static settings you point to it

If your P2P and cameras were set with static metrics and your router metrics mismatch - no communication.

If you have not reset P2P it remains on those and they would be pointing to old router for Default gateway and DNS(192.168.1.254) - no longer valid with default new router settings

As you have access to your new router, and If you have not reset P2P:

1.Sign in to new router and change LAN IP from 192.168.1.1 into 192.168.1.254. your router likely will restart after that.

2.test if your P2P work and you have Ethernet in the shed.

3.see if your NVR and cameras return working

You might need to disconnect and reconnect (or restart) some network devices to get new IP's

you always can revert your router back.

As you have reset some of your network devices(cameras , other ?) they might no longer function and might require re-configuration

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

Starting numbers are also important, they represent NETWORK part, last number define actual device

192.168.0.1 vs 192.168.1.1

Just want to say thanks to @smuggler.ie for the advice and guidance above.

I updated the Default IP to be that of the old router and i can now view the cameras again.

Great, just note, that if you ever will need to call VF(or any other ISP in the future) they might ask/guide you to RESET the router during troubleshooting. Where you might need to follow their advise, you will have to change the LAN part again once the issue resolved to get your cameras / WiFi link back in function. Have a look into router settings - there should be (however, not all have) option to back-up your configuration for quick restore.

...coming soon

#2 lesson - we will review how to configure WiFi bridge ...

#3 lesson - how to configure CCTV system ...

only joking 😉, but knowing "how-to" might save you few bobs for installer call-out if it comes to that.

good luck

Advertisement