Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grazing 2024

Options
  • 06-01-2024 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Any value in letting some light yearlings out this early. I know it's only the first week in January but grass has been growing over the last month. I'm very tempted to let out some of the yearlings as they are eat with lice inside in this mild weather.

What would be the downside to doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

Same question. Any risk now with the weather turning hard and frosty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭White Clover

The only risk would be clostridial diseases. Once you have them done with Covexin 10 or similar you'd be safe out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Dunedin

If they have dry lying, shelter and a bit of grass, absolutely let them off. Suppose the only issue is that weather will turn again and you might have to bring them back in.

a kilo of nuts would crown them too for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Throw 10mls of spotinor or spot-on on them before you let them out. The lice ain't going to go away just cause you have turned them out. Best practice is to repeat it again in 10 to 14 days time. Other than that I would let them out if they have shelter and somewhere dry to lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

if you can get them out without them ploughing the ground go for it. Had bulls out in early February last year but the snow in March finished that for a few weeks. Will chance a few groups this February again if the weather is any way kind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Forecast is dry and frosty for the next week, my ground is a bit soft in places, but I've picked out 8 to go out tomorrow morning. That will leave 8 still in the shed which I'll leave for another week. It could be a waste of time if we get rough weather, but I'll chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

A bit soft in places …..😀…you lucky bastard!

I will walk some of my drier fields in a week times to make a call. **** swimming.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I try to figure out when there’ll be enough grass for a second grazing, and then work back from there.

If I leave them out into paddock X today, when will they be going back in there again?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Loads of grass here as they came in early. Had intended grazing the 25 acres of beet tops but that went by the wayside. Have 70 weanlings in the shed so might get some of the lighter heifers out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭DBK1

It’s never a waste of time having stock out on grass so long as there’s grass there and shelter. If they have to come in again in a few weeks time what harm, both them and the grass will benefit from them being out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Never seen ground as wet here, glad for the frosty weather coming.

Graze if you can, the cattle, pocket and grass will benefit and in 23, March saw 10 inches of rain in parts of Cork, wasn't much use in waiting for that month. Take your chances as they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭OrangeBadger

Can they swim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭memorystick

Thinking of setting 17 acres for silage. How much is it worth? They supply fertiliser.

Advertisement