Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record homeless Figures yet again , now at 13,500.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭SharkMX

The problem in Ireland nowadays is that people are too scared of being cancelled to say what they actually see happening. They must continue to virtue signal for fear that they end up on the receiving side of their social media gang.

Informed debate is not possible in Ireland anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭greyday

Oh, so they are all drug addicts, alcoholics, degenerates?

Its actually sad in this day and age where buying a house is outside of two people working unless they are in high paying jobs that people like you actually think like that, I know of a lad that broke up with his wife during covid and is now homeless depending on family and friends for somewhere to sleep, he has a low paying job but none of the addictions you believe they all have, this lad is cute enough to not overstay his welcome as ending up in a tent is worse than his present situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I mean, someone who breaks up with their wife with a low paying job having to live with family isn't anything new to Ireland. Or anywhere. Look on the bright side, he has family to live with. Would you really call that homeless? I had to move home for a year when I was 35, never considered myself homeless, just what I had to do in the circumstances.

People seem to think in the 1980s you could work in a local shop and get a mortgage for a 3 bed inside the M50 ffs.

Yea, its homeless, he can't stay more than a week in one place and is basically rotating between family and friends, as both parents are no longer with us he is moving between a sister and brothers house, you dont need to be living in a tent to be homeless.

• Advertisement

didn't people always do this kind of thing though? what happened in this situation in the 1980s or whatever? would he have just been given his own place by the state? i had a mate stay in my living room for about 6 months a few years ago, i didn't consider him homeless, he was just staying with me till he found his own place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭suvigirl

1.5 million Irish born people live overseas.

there are less then 700,000 foreign born living in Ireland.

CSO figures.

homelessness rising since the 1990s.

This is clearly the fault of successive governments, they must be delighted with people like you, blaming foreigners 🙄

And yet homeless figures increased every year since the 90s, including Celtic tiger years.

The state built social housing and you went on the list, renting was far more affordable as was childcare, in the 80s one well paying job could support a family although a large number of people still depended on social housing as interest rates were multiples of what we have become used to since bringing in the Euro.

I'm just wondering what people in your friend's situation would do back then. Like would he get his own flat or house? How long did it take? Is he on the housing list now?

I believe it was very hard to get a mortgage all the same, and obviously jobs were few and far between so lots of people emigrated. I don't think things were necessarily better in the past all things considered.

• Advertisement

I am not saying everything was better in the 80s but some very important things were like housing and childcare, the lad I know is on the housing list but he will be waiting as he does not have any dependents as his child lives with his wife, flats were used back then to house single people but I dont think they are building them anymore, even one of the old style terrible flats would be better than what he is doing at the moment, we also had bedsits back then which were small but cheap and did a job, obviously bedsits were less than ideal but far better than tents.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Any proposed solution to this problem is twenty years old... but:

And at the risk of sounding like the Sowshalist Party, we need immediate massive investment in social housing, along with real expenditure to cater for the citizens who have been failed by State policy. Here, today, and tomorrow.

An absolute indictment on a wealthy Western European democratic state.

Yeah my uncle had one of the Ballymun flats at one stage I'm pretty sure he lived there on his own too, ill ask my ma! They were actually nicer than you'd think.

They were definitely habitable, there was a health and safety issue with them though as a fire on the ground floor could be deadly for people on the upper floors, a lot of good people raised fine families from those flats even if they were not ideal for raising a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭snl rory

20% population increase in the last 10 years , in a country with a below replacement fertility rate.

100K Ukrainians and 25k 'Asylum seekers' last year alone.

Of course doesn't affect housing at all though.... 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

And the fault of the people themselves when they keep getting evicted for bad behaviour.

This is a direct result of successive government's having an open door policy and promoting welfare as a lifestyle choice .

Unfortunately voting SF will make it even worse.

I'm now lost as a voter.

Imagine it wouldn't matter one bit if any governments had of supplied services for their own home grown population

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭scottser

Tax receipts for 2023 were 5bn higher than last year. Same day as they announced 4,000 children in homeless services. This is not a migration issue, it is a concerted policy by successive governments to ensure housing remains a scarce resource, and their plan is working perfectly. If they honestly gave one iota of a fuk about 'solving the housing crisis' they would do it - its not like they don't have the resources.

In the meantime, homeless accommodation in Ringsend gets burned out because some gaslighting w@nkers have identified immigrants as 'the problem'.

• Advertisement

bear in mind that so many of the very poorly paid jobs are done by immigrants these days, why wouldn't they be on the housing list if they qualify for it? i would be anyway.

This is anecdotal but I have heard it more than once from Managers in companies that employ very close to the minimum wage that they would not hire Irish unless they were young and doing a college course, I enquired why and the answer was always similar, the immigrants work ethic was in general far superior to Irish and they could be depended on to turn up for work, its minimum wage and in Ireland you are better off on welfare than minimum wage so its somewhat understandable that Irish people dont have much respect for those type of jobs but at the same time its out of order to complain about immigrants when you would not do the jobs they are willing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Certainly that was the situation in the past. However I was watching an Oireachtas committee hearing on homelessness recently, where a director of a homeless charity was saying that increasing numbers of those seeking help have no addiction issues, have jobs etc but simply can't find accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I too know of a company, like the one you speak of, where they only employ non-EU nationals for the lower end manual jobs. EU law says they must first try to employ an EU citizen and then, only if they fail, can the go outside the EU to recruit. To get around this, they advertise the jobs in obscure locations knowing they will get few or no EU applicants.

The employees they do recruit are good workers. Part of this is because anything they save goes quite a long way in their home country. Another aspect is that if they lose their job in Ireland their work permit expires and they must leave the country.

I have nothing but respect for these workers, but a couple of points:

1. They need to live somewhere, so despite their relatively low wage, they will push rents up generally and lower the availability of accommodation for others.
    2. They keep wages down and prevent existing residents in Ireland from getting jobs.

Note that I don't blame the individuals themselves for this. They are merely looking after themselves and their families.

However, while they are great for the profits of the company (and that is a good thing) and the lifestyle of the owners of the company, and the immigrants themselves, not everyone benefits from the policy of mass immigration of low skilled and medium skilled workers. Those seeking employment at a reasonable rate of pay lose out. Those seeking accommodation lose out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Packrat

I own my own house.

If herself kicked me out (I wouldn't go anyway) but if she did, I'd go live in a run-down uninhabitated, but barely habitable house that I also have, which could easily be renovated and I already have the skills etc. So I'm in no danger of ever being homeless.

I also earn the equivalent of about 90k/pa from various enterprises so not struggling like I was 10 years ago either.

Basically - there's a fear of my hole.. I'm doing fine.

However,

What is being currently done to a whole generation of young Irish people is nothing short of treasonous by this government, and the opposition are worse.

Im so annoyed and disgusted by it, Im so sad for this country at their unrealised potential, Im angry when I see their parents flying to Australia to see them, Im mad at the thought that many of their peers can't even contemplate having a child or even moving out of their own childhood bedroom in their frigging thirties!!!

It's like some virus had taken control of the brains of all the political class and they are all marching in lockstep like zombies towards our collective doom.

I've been threadbanned here previously for saying that in any other society they'd be swinging from lampposts so I won't suggest that this time.

Neither will I add two and two and get 4 as an answer because I'm threadbanned out of the immigration thread for doing just that. That's not allowed.

There will however eventually be a day of reckoning for these bastxrds.

The important thing is to remember exactly which ones cheerlead and profited from this destruction of our country when they try to pretend that they weren't part of it.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Doesnt matter a damn how many non Irish are on housing lists, if the government actually did what they should, there would be plenty for everyone.

This is a rich country with plenty of money, if the will was there, they could solve homelessness immediately. clearly it doesn't suit the state to solve it......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭tom23

There will never be a day of reckoning for these bastards. They will loose their seats., a blow to their ego. but they will end up in the private sector, an NGO or europe. No reckoning. Just a small sidestep.

I get annoyed and disgusted by houses lying vacant during a housing crisis.

There should be massive taxes put on all unoccupied vacant houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭tom23

A lot of these houses are not worth fixing… just better of knocking and putting. high spec modular homes there

• Advertisement

Exactly this person thinks we can just cover the whole country in houses and everything will be prefect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement