Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siting an A2W heat pump

Options
  • 05-01-2024 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Is it a requirement that heat pumps are mounted externally? Or to rephrase the question: Can I install a heat pump indoors?

I'm considering moving into a retirement type apartment and the present oil fired CH boiler needs to be replaced. It is located in a press in the middle of the apartment. I would replace it with a heat pump, but to mount it externally would be difficult, costly and create a lot of disruption. Hence the thought of putting it in the press where the boiler is at present.

If it is not possible to put the HP in the press, I will go for a replacement oil fired boiler, reluctantly. If there were other properties available, I might consider an alternative, but nothing in my area at the moment.

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

A heat pump takes heat from the air passing through it so it will cool your apartment as well as heating it! It must be located outside. Is it possible to wall mount?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭steamdave

It would be Possible to mount it externally, but would need major building works to fit pipes and cables. And the attendant inconvenience problems mentioned initially.

Is it necessary to be able to provide cooling? I have never considered air cooling necessary in any house I have lived in. I can always open a window for fresh air and even use a fan for cooling on the few days per year that it might become desirable. Global warming? As a senior member of the Coffin Dodger's club, I don't think I will be here long enough for that to worry me.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

No, it takes the heat from the air so would be giving out cold air in the area you are trying to heat.

Looks like I will be going for an oil fuelled boiler if I decide to move in. I'm not prepared for all the additional hassle of comparatively major construction work. Or maybe I just wait until a more suitable property becomes available.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You can place a heat pump in a plant room or garage but not in the house proper.

Google air to air mini split heat pump. These are better suited to apartments compared to air to water.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that info, Sleeper. I didn't know about air to air HPs. I'll give it a go.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

If your current oil boiler needs to be replaced due to 'old age' that would indicate that your house is probably over 15 years old and may not have the required standard on insulation required to enable heat pump to operated as designed.

Count your blessings, I hear loads of horror stories about these heat pumps unlike OFCH. Fit a new Grant, Firebird or similar oil boiler, it should cost no more that €2k fitted. If serviced annually it should last 20 to 30 years and don't worry, the Arabs will keep pumping their black gold (oil) for another 3 or 4 decades at least despite the best efforts of the deluded green agenda🤣

Advertisement