Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should older people be "forced" to change?

Options
  • 05-01-2024 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭

We all know that things were different years ago as they were growing up, the world was a different place , customs and way of life were different , things were done differently, relationships were done differently, children were brought up differently, women and their roles in life were different etc..

But is there a case for trying to change the older generation or just let them literally die out and all the rest will die out with them?

There is no doubt in this world that attitudes are and have changed , immensely over the years. but just because people have seen to look like they have moved with the times and have 'accepted' the way of life these days are they putting on a front to keep the peace or hide their true feelings or change so they are acceptable to others - if they have that has been 'forced' onto them in a way hasnt it ... if something has been forced onto somebody is that a good thing? - is there any difference between someone acting differently in public ... but behind closed doors having all their same views intact?

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

Maybe they were right all along though?

The new way isn't necessarily the correct way

What do you think?

i think you should turn your laptop off Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No offence Andy, but what they hell are you on about. Who's forcing old people to do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think lots of people have changed their opinion of all ages have changed their minds on various issues over the years.

It might be due to education, life experiences, etc.

Of course some people just go along with it.

However there's a lot of people and they simply don't care with the neigbhours get up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Yes, we should euthanise everybody who doesn’t agree with your views, particularly if they are older members of the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭blackbox

So there are no "young" people who have different opinions to you?

Maybe OP, you don’t plan on reaching any kind of age where you still recall your formative opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,762 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Whenever there's anything new there a collective clucking about "ah shur what about the poor auld people?" in a really patronising way.

Not every older person is hopelessly bewildered, many of them can be fairly handy with a smartphone if shown how.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Don't really get younger generations saying you should be more tolerant if then they aren't understanding when people are naturally inclined to be set in their ways. Changes happen gradually.

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The past is a foreign countrythey do things differently there.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

Older people need to work and pay tax till they are 97 years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Economics101

Andy: you (with any luck) will be old sometime. Just watch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Like re-education camps or something?

What age are you yourself btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

You know as soon as a person says "you are not allowed to say or do anything now these days" that they are pressurised into being something they are not - and I have heard many an older person say that these days ...

In the past "they" would never have started a discussion with We All Know That.

getting on in years 58 ... even with me at my age I cannot get how the world has changed ... so it must be trillion times harder/difficult for someone in their 80's / 90's to still be living and seeing how the world is going and how things have changed since they were young

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭amacca

Pope Francis is only 87.

will still have these thoughts in me head even if I dropped my laptop from 11th floor of a building LOL 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Or maybe they like the changes? life is easier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Well I'm not too far behind you tbh.

From my own observation with really old folks at some stage the world has changed into such a sh1tshow from their viewpoint they dont even want to be around much longer. Could be just a character thing tho. I myself am still undecided but looking at recent years I can see how a case could be made either way.

nah , they would be happier than they are 😄

some people never know when to retire 😆

.... like these old pop/rock stars

undoubtedly all older generation with such relic viewpoints will eventually die out ... and i mean soon ... mind you saying that, with the modern advancement on medical achievements and health breakthrough's people are living longer these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭amacca

I think younger people should be forced to change.....to be less irritating noisy...and generally less of a pain in the hole.....

This should all be cost neutral and funded through deductions from their first 5 years of employment and/or social welfare

But it will probably be gainful employment as this mass re-education of our precious youth to align more with the "be seen and not heard" end of the spectrum will make them much more attractive worker drones for prospective employers so really we are doing the annoying opinionated feckers a huge favour by getting them on the inevitable treadmill of life earlier....they all know its coming like a big old train filled with sewage inevitably bearing down on them and the harder they fight the worse the collision will be

They can then take their rebellion, dewey eyed optimisim, general naivety and irritating reliance on facts ,put it aside get with the program and make sure they are paying my **** pension!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I don’t think anyone should be forced to change their opinion, in fact it may not be possible to change anyone’s opinion by force. All you can do is present them with information and allow them to see the positive side of a change and hope they can choose to change their own mind. If they don’t change then there is nothing you can do. If their opinion is problematic in today’s age then at least keeping it to themselves will avoid issues.

As RobbieV implies in post 2. Who says that the popular views held by any popular group are right. Views change, views that were popular 20 or 40 or 60 years ago may currently be unpopular but may return. Views we have now may seem ridiculous in the future. Remember it was ‘Acceptable in the Eighties’, some views held then are not acceptable now but used to be fine. 20 years from now you might be cancelled for saying something that is currently seems progressive.

Also I want to reserve the right to change my opinions in the future, or not. Our ability to assimilate new information and experiences allows us to change our views over times. Listening to other people’s views especially those you don’t agree with helps you understand a topic better and may or may not change your opinion but seeing as how we live in a free society no one should be forced to change.

Remember “I disapprove of what you say but, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

its an interesting point with youngsters , a lot of them have a lot to say on a lot of things and in some cases I cannot see anything silencing them or trying to change their ways because a lot of them are focussed and wont let a load of people walk all over them or their rebellious attitudes mean they are answerable to nobody but themselves.

but if older people start to even mention what it was like growing up and what they were used to and still are used to or use a wrong terminology or something people come down on them like a ton of bricks whereas with a lot of the younger generation can get away with a lot more viewpoints and sayings etc... - are they now calling the shots? - are the youngsters way of life more meaningful than the older generation now??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Send them all to Sligo instead.

That way, rather than keeping up with the times and modern developments, they can effectively just go back a few decades.

Although on the other side, below is a clip from a documentary shot last year showing how they treat the oldies down there................ Oldies in Sligo being 40+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Hey2.Hey2

nah , they would be happier than they are

The voice of experience speaking... Pity there's not much in the way of life experience to back it up.

Advertisement