Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heart Rate Training Advice

Options
  • 04-01-2024 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi guys I’ve been running for about 12 years and after a few poor marathons—aiming for 3:30/3:40 & running 3:50/4hrs—I finally decided to try the heart rate training method. I’ve purchased a Garmin 255 and I’m just getting used to using it. I’m looking to know if there is a definitive heart rate training plan and/or book on the subject? Any advice or guidance on the subject would be greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭BOB81

This thread could be a useful read. For myself I've been using HR training for about 5 years and I bought this book (Matt Fitzgerald - 80/20 running) which has training plans based on heart rate and explains the various HR zones quite well I think.

https://www.easons.com/8020-running-matt-fitzgerald-9780451470881?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI04q_7ezFgwMVVVNBAh1Y2gfiEAQYASABEgJpbfD_BwE

You might get more responses if you move this thread to the main page - plenty of others with experience of heart rate training on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭chabsey

If you're seriously considering heart rate training I would also buy a chest strap, they're not expensive and are far more accurate than a wrist watch (which can show wildly inaccurate readings depending on tightness etc). Also if you're just starting on this then I'd probably get the 80/20 book mentioned above but also just go for a run in zone 2, you'll likely be surprised at how much slower you need to run than what you would previously have considered 'normal'.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 woodseythelegend

Thanks a million for the advice. I’ve no idea how to move it to the main thread! Actually I don’t even know where the main thread is!! Thanks again. I’m off to look for 80/20👍

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Trampas

If you’re going to do hr training. Prepare to run slower for your easy runs than you currently are and get a hrm strap as the watches aren’t great. Ok for a rough idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 woodseythelegend

Thanks Trampas I m using the Garmin and Ive slowed down a lot on my slow runs. I’ve read 80/20 as advised by the lads here but I’m struggling with setting my heart rate zones. Mostly running on feel and keeping an eye on the watch. Early days but I’m enjoying my running a lot more! Need to sort my heart rate zones. Any advice appreciated

There are various calculators online that will give you a rough idea:

https://www.bergfreunde.eu/heart-rate-calculator/

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/health/target-heart-rate-zone-calculator.php

But to get a more accurate idea you'll need to try getting a lactate test. I got one recently and it was eye opening in terms of my Zone 2. Turned out my zone 2 started roughly 10 BPM higher than I thought. So whereas I was targeting 137 BPM as a rough limit, it was actually 148 BPM. Test cost 165 euro.

I just tried one of those calcs I linked to and if I was to go solely by the results of it I would be thinking I was running in zone 4 when I was actually in zone 2. I have no idea what that means except that it's very inaccurate in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭winstonia

The watches aren't accurate either. Better of getting a strap

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭TheRef

Garmin has a LT test as one of its workouts. I done it recently and it was 3x4 min runs at different paces. Took about 20 mins. You do need a chest strap to do it afaik, but I highly recommend having one anyway. Garmin should then set your zones for you.

I agree though with @chabsey though - getting an actual lab test would be better, but saying that I recently had a long chat with someone from UCD who administers the tests. He suggested that it will just be a point in time and he was happy to test me when he is back in the office, but suggested that if I was going to spend money improving my running, a coach would probably be a better investment. It was an interesting conversation.

By 'point in time' do you mean that if you get fitter or less fit after the test it'll change the ranges that make up your zones? I'd heard this before, if you get fitter your zones change but it's good to know at least X marks the point I was at when I was at Y level of fitness. I guess you'd know yourself if you're fitter or less fit than when the test was taken and so assume your zones have likely moved a bit as a result. For me my zone 2 was way off where I was training so it was definitely worth doing.

• Advertisement

On point in time, the way it was explained to me was that the accuracy of the test was not 100% as you could be tired or stressed and that would impact it.

Again I've no particular insight myself as this was explained to me by someone over the phone who conducts the tests

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Trevorfromtheshoppingcentre

Any recommendations for a HR chest strap? Something middle of the road price wise.

Want to do a hr based marathon training program over summer but my Garmin watch seems a bit all over the place. Did a workout this morning and My 9 minute miles in warmup and my 6 minute miles were both in the green zone 80 % of the time. My zones might need adjusting but still seems way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭BOB81

I've been using coospo HR straps for the last few years, between €30 and €50 depending on which model you buy, they have worked fine for me at least, definitely a big improvement on garmin wrist based readings. The sensor unit on their more expensive model is rechargeable which is handy. link to review for it: https://mensfitnesstoday.com/review/coospo-realzone-h9z-review/

I've used the Garmin HRM-Dual on every run for the past 6 months and find it works well. €55 on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

I ditched the chest strap and bought a Coros arm band. Exact same results as my Polar Chest Strap but easier to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Trevorfromtheshoppingcentre

Hey all, thanks for the replies! Been down a rabbit hole this week of reviews and HR strap specs. Just wondering if you found a way to accurately setup HR zones on Garmin etc. From what I can tell the more accurate HR data is only going to be useful if my HR zones are setup correctly. Currently using % of HRR on the Forerunner 165, not sure how accurate it is though.

Advertisement