Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letters from Public Representatives

Options
  • 04-01-2024 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

This is not a complaint, merely an enquiry. In the past we have received these communications from the local representatives addressed to 'The Resident'. However, recently I received a letter addressed to me personally even though both myself and my husband are the registered owners. I'm just enquiring if this is normal practice to address such letters to a specific person. The letter was just generally advising on local community updates.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They won't be using the registered owner. They may be using the electoral register (they should not be).

Did you ever contact that rep yourself directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I've never contacted any politicians ever! Looks like one might be using the electoral register then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

They may be using the electoral register (they should not be).

I would have assumed they can and do use the register for that purpose.

Is that not so?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They certainly use the electoral register and why shouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

In a world where I can legally ask a company to stop sending me unwanted emails I think it makes sense to allow people to opt out from receiving unwanted letters from politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

During elections. I'm fairly sure it's not allowed outside of elections except on the Seanad panels, however finding the regs in detail isn't proving too easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Is the electoral register not a public document?

One with significant restrictions on use. It cannot be used for marketing for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

A letter advising of local community updates wouldn't really be marketing though.

• Advertisement

A letter advising of a new supermarket could be claimed to be important under that basis also. That absolutely isn't allowed.

"Electoral purposes" is explicitly allowed (and even has no right to object to it, uniquely - you can't demand someone stop). I cannot find if this requires it to be within an election period or even if that has a definition outside of the spending period - which has not started for the local elections yet and likely won't til April.

Advertisement