Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Dublin

Options
  • 04-01-2024 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

I live in the west of Ireland and I have to go to Tallaght, Santry or Blackrock for a medical exam - I can choose the location. We're thinking of staying at a hotel nearby and would like your advice on restaurants in any of the places above mentioned. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭circadian

Little Venice and Gourmet Food Parlour in Santry are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd choose Blackrock if you can and visit the Market for some casual food or the village for dining.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,390 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Blackrock and go to Big Mike's. Or get the DART into town and the world's your lobster, as my dad would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Stay in BlackRock, it will cost a bit more, but will make the overall experience a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

Thanks for all the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

From a food point of view, Blackrock is definitely much more of a destination location for eating out.

Little Mikes - seafood, wine and cocktails

Michael's - steak, seafood

(Both of the above Mount Merrion really, but not much difference)

Little Forest - modern Italian / pizza ... Would generally be considered one of the better high-end pizza restaurants in the country, it's casual but it's not your usual pizza joint

Liath - fine dining in Blackrock market, has a Michelin star

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Shaka Poké in the market is good. Different, but really good.

You could go for a dip and tell everyone you're a sea swimmer, march around the place in a dryrobe talking about sea swimming and shouting things like "refreshing" "invigorating" "need a hot coffee after that"

Michael's flagship is right in the middle of Blackrock - Big Mike's in the Frascati Centre.

I actually wasn't aware of Big Mike's, or if I was, I had confused it with Michael's. I was only referring to the two on Deerpark Road above. Looks good, that would be even closer, alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

Is the Michelin star really worth it over the other ones? I’ve never tried a Michelin restaurant. They’re mostly all booked up when I try going to one. Perhaps it might be different this time of year though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

For what it's worth, I didn't think Liath was the level of great required, food wise. Then again, it might have been an off night for them.

Other Michelin starred places though, I definitely have thought were worth a visit.

I've eaten in Liath (last year), and would say it is representative of a Michelin one star dinner experience, I enjoyed it.

It's approximately 2.5 hours to do the tasting menu, and there's an option to do matching wine tasting with it.

I think most people accept that Michelin stars do indicate skill, a pleasant setting, high quality food provenance and so on, but whether it is "worth" the expense kind of depends whether you like fine dining as an experience.

I wouldn't recommend it for someone who is a fussy eater, or is just not that into food. Many people are like this, and that's ok.

On the other hand, many people like the creativity of fine dining. It can be pleasant to have a couple of hours to set aside with your partner and have a shared experience where you're tasting different things, some of which are prepared in ways that are beyond the capabilities or equipment of a home chef. While not everything will be to your taste, there might be a course you have that you will remember years and years later.

So, in summary, if you enjoy eating out a lot, and will eat a wide variety of foods, yes, could be worth trying. If you're unsure, then perhaps best to try lunch in a Michelin restaurant first, where costs are typically lower.

• Administrators Posts: 53,379 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I thought the main restaurant was the one on the Deer Park road?

That's the OG, as Gaz calls it but Big Mike's is the flagship, it's about three times the size of Mount Merrion and much snazzier. Disco jacks!

• Administrators Posts: 53,379 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's on my list of places to go, by the sounds of it it's worth the hype?

I've only ever had excellent experiences in any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Blackrock would certainly be the best bet as you have the largest choice of restauraunts outside the city centre in South East Dublin.

I would add DAATA & Ruchii to the list in Blackrock, if you like Pakistani or Indian food.

The chinese in the old Post Office is also very good.

The Blackrock pub also does good food.

Nearby to Blackrock, Monkstown village is packed with great restaurants. Just two stops south on the DART.

Advertisement