Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dancing With The Stars 24: Have RTÉ Learned Nothing?

Options
  • 04-01-2024 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭

I caught some of the dancing with the stairs Es coming up to the new year. I actually thought from the way the ad was structured that it was a new kids, physical health/dance program. I thought that was actually a good idea. My impression was bolstered by someone who looks like a nutty professor and a bunch of other people I didn’t recognise so I assumed there were children’s TV. Presenters or some dance people

I couldn’t believe it when I saw that it was just an ad for dancing with the stairs. Aside from the usual fact that most of these couldn’t be called stars in most people’s wildest imaginations, It just looks like the kind of rubbish that RTÉ should have tomed down by now.

if the whole flip-flop/Tasha, the musical controversies have come out late last year, I would say something And that maybe the show was in preproduction, so very hard to cancel it then. Given that there has been ample time though, it just seems bad that it’s still going ahead. RH just seems like a big vanity project for RTÉ and there agents. More of this art of rubbish that led to RTÉ competing against themselves for salaries. More extorting the general license paying public by way of phone votes. It just seems pretty tone deaf. I’m just wondering if I’m the only one who is left with a bad taste in my mouth.

Post edited by The Black Oil on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I don't know why this drivel is even on .... It was supposed to be the last season ever of it a few years ago ... and then it gets continued again .. only worse as they now have that Garrihy one doing it .... this, Operation Transformation, First Dates Ireland, Ireland's Fittest Family and all the other drivel needs to go ... Love/Hate and Kin are ended quickly while this drivel gets continued ... RTE's priority is not making programmes ... any good ones they did like the 2 mentioned end quickly ... but providing vehicles for their so-called 'stars' ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

It’s funny, it struck me that their core programming is being scheduled weirdly these days. 10:35: Katie Hannon. Pretty sure most Prime are thinking of bed at 10:35 for the busy part. Operation Transformation @ 9:30 of some such. How is that an appropriate time for a she like that? That’s a 7pm evening slot show in the real world. Maybe 8 at a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

It’s popular with the public. Not everything made is designed with you in mind. Change the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

It's impossible to work out who is the star and who is the dancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Don’t like it, don’t watch it. Plenty of people watch it and hence why they produce it

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I didn’t think it could be possible, but Brian Dowling husband is even more annoying than him.

It goes beyond that ... the problem is this audience is catered for 100% by RTE but other audiences are not .... the UK turn out quality dramas like Line of Duty, Peaky Plinders, Gangs of London et al ... while RTE give us mainly reality drivel and half baked dramas like The Gone, Acceptable Risk aka Hidden Assets, Taken Down and Striking Out (I am sure these are poor because no money is spent on them and yes they all had potential and could have been way better if financed properly) ... they then go ahead and cancel Kin, nearly the only good drama they had along with Love/Hate ... it is a miracle this got 5 seasons !! ...

I have had enough of Dancing With The 'Stars', Operation Transformation, First Dates, Fittest Family and other muck ... surely this audience has had it all too good for too long ... let us get something different for a change ... plus if they must have this 'dancing' thing can't they stop acting the idiot and do it for 6 weeks rather than near half the year ...

It is very clear these things are vehicles to push RTE's presenters and other such fake 'stars' at us all the time ... reform is needed in RTE simple as ... I am not saying to drop these programmes entirely but they should be part of a balance not dominating the full schedule ... this dominance of these programmes is what is wrong .... I would not mind them if they made a proper varied schedule of programmes including quality dramas ...

And the Garrihy one is more annoying than anyone involved in the dancing yoke .... only that Joanne McNally one is worse ... all these people are very Tubridy and should go over and join him in London ... in fact Ireland and England should do a swop!! ... give England a dose of this in place of the quality dramas they produce ... although Tubridy could deputise for Matt Dot Cottan in Line of Duty!! ... and let us have their dramas for a while ...

Operation Transformation = programme invented by Noel Kelly for the late Gerry Ryan ... it is clear RTE are not totally getting away from Kelly's inspirations !! ..

• Advertisement

But Rte can’t just create a tv listing for you, people watch the shows you don’t like

So they cater for eberyone

I think RTe waste a lot of money and 2FM should have been shut down years ago but the shows you don’t like, others do so why should they cancel them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah. It also sickened me seeing ads featuring Bannon in a new series again. He’s why Pat his sell by date now. I mean, that’s the Ireland really. Most of this drivel continues even though it started out as an NK vehicle for his latest start he was pushing. I know RTE can’t turn in a fine and completely change the schedule overnight but the viewing public aren’t stupid anymore. Anyone who just didn’t know about how the wheels of agents works got a ready good crash course over the summer. I wouldn’t watch most of this tripe if it was completely free to view jet alone pay ac licence fee for it.

Bannon's programme is a leftover from the Celtic Tiger ... the same can be said of Noel Kelly stuff in general ... Room to Improve is at least better than Operation Transformation, DWTS, First Dates, etc. but not by much ... they are all tired and past their sell by date at this stage ... I know Forbes probably renewed contracts for most of this stuff in the years before she left ... but the dominance of these things all need to go ASAP ... they should not be hogging the schedule like they are doing ... 2 hours of that dancing yoke each Sunday for nearly half the year is crazy .... couldn't it be an hour for 6 weeks surely ?? ..

Why should we do without Kin and other such programmes to facilitate this junk ... no wonder most Irish dramas other than Kin and Love/Hate fail to reach their potential ... because the money is not there to make them ... The Gone, Acceptable Risk/Hidden Assets, Taken Down, Striking Out, et al could all have been better if more money was spent ... they all were poor to just ok because they lacked that extra funding imv ... meanwhile the UK has given us Peaky Blinders, Line of Duty, Gangs of London and McMafia in the last few years and America has given us Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, Reacher, The Handmaid's Tale and The Last of Us .... each one of these excellent and engaging ...

Post edited by lumphammer2 on

They don't cater for everyone ... they focus on a part of the audience into this sort of thing ... some of these things like OT must be going for near 20 years at this stage ?? ...

I am not saying to cancel shows per se .. I am saying that there should be more of a balance ... and that some of these things needn't go on for half the year ... eg DWTS ... plenty good shows got cancelled ... Love/Hate, Kin, etc. ... and there are loads of people who want that type of show and are not getting it ... because too much is spent on providing too much reality junk ...

I agree 2FM should be gone ... it is useless ... esp that morning yoke with that Garrihy one ... seems to me that all TV and radio is gobbled up by Noel Kelly clients ... still ...

Love/Hate had run it's course and any more seasons would have killed it, some tv shows go on too long.

Kin I haven't watched but no idea if it was cancelled or not

2FM should have went down with old Gerry.

It is debatable regarding Love/Hate ... but shows like Kin are what should have continued for that audience ... like Love/Hate Kin was just getting into it by season 2 and was excellent Sunday night viewing ... the status of Kin is that the Bron company promoting it went out of business ... do not see why a new company could get behind it and RTE could pay for this instead of much of the other stuff ...

My point about much of these reality shows is they have run their course ... DWTS should have ended in its current format with Nicky Byrne and ended as planned at that time ... when it came on first it was at least an alt to the You're a Star/Ireland's Got Talent/All Ireland Talent Show/Popstars competitions anyway ... but it has rightly gone to the dogs with that Garrihy one doing it ...

Ideally there should be a balance ... by all means have these reality things but they do not have to occupy so much of the schedules ... 1 hour for 6 weeks would do for DWTS for example ...

2FM should have gone with Gerry I agree .... it is awful stuff today ... too many TV and radio stations has become the problem ... and it is not just RTE .. BBC et al are the same ... too many channels and all sorts of reality drivel clogging it up and repeats all over the place too ... it is quality not quantity we need ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭its_steve116

And what is this Dancing to the beat Drop it thing ??? .... was looking it up and could not find anything .... where do they get these songs from ?? ...

Advertisement