Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Cameras & Door bell advice

Options
  • 03-01-2024 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi All -

Recently got a new built and considering putting some outdoor and indoor cameras. I already have a monitored alarm with sensors but want to have cameras as well. I can ask the alarm company to install some cameras but they are chargin 350 euro per camera which i think is quite high plus i'm not comfortable with having internal cameras from a monitored alarm company so i'm trying to figure out what i should do.

I'm thinking of getting a bunch of google battery operated cameras (as i wouldnt have to worry about wiring them and also no worries that the camera wont work if power goes out). They are about 200 euro each. Also thinking of getting a Google Nest Doorbell. I'd like to stick to one company as i think everything works better if they are all from the same company.

Open to any suggestions or feedback!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I've had Google Nest camera's for the last 5 years. While they are great when working properly, it has been a pain to get them to work properly (such as having to install a mesh system). Initially they worked absolutely fine and then signal became an issue after a few years. The quality of the video produced is very choppy if the wind is bad. That said, when the weather is great the video quality is good and the audio superb. Personally with a multi camera setup such as you're looking at, I wouldn't go battery. It never lasts as long as they say and you'll spend far too much time charging them.

All in all, if I was doing it all over again I'd go for a wired POE system. You'll get much better reliability, video quality and it'll be easier to upgrade. Reolink seems to be a decent brand. I don't know much about them, but that's where I'd start looking if I was doing it all over again.

In terms of doorbells. I have a Google house so wanted to get their doorbell but the €229 or so price at the time just didn't agree with me when I could get a Ring for €50. It was the cheapest of the Ring cameras and it does exactly what I need it to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ManUnited123

Thanks - In terms of installation, how would i go on about getting a Reolink system installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I haven't done it myself so can't speak with any authority but it shouldn't be too difficult and there are certainly lots of videos out there that will help you. Essentially you'd be using a PoE (power over ethernet switch) and then you'd be connecting that to your router, or using an NVR (the hard drive basically). There's a bit more involved of course but that'd be the hardware involved.

They are of course just one brand and I'm sure more enlightened people here can recommend you the best brand to go with. The main thing I'd stress to you is that for a multi-camera setup, I would personally do PoE if doing it all over again. You are not at the whim of Google. I'd recommend reading the Nest forums.

Advertisement