Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Videoed in work

Options
  • 02-01-2024 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Are you legally allowed to video someone in the workplace without their consent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

More information needed on who is doing the recording and context of it (where/why etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

A co worker to show the person was breaching company policy by being under the influence

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

My understanding, might be wrong, is that a workplace has to tell you're going to be recorded in advance and have a valid reason for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

Yes if it is not obvious an employer must tell you they are monitoring you via camera.

But this is one co worker recording another. Unless the employer has a policy that you can not record video while working I don't see a problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Open to correction. An employee can be seen as an agent of the company if they do something on work premises or at work event.

That said not sure what to be gained with these arguments. If it some for a genuine reason, safety, fraud, or such it might be covered under employment policy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I have a feeling we still have not got the context..... who is filming whom exactly and how? Cameras that are already installed in the work place, a phone, an action camera?

No was by phone and to prove another employee was after having few drinks while on duty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There is no law against one person taking a video of another.

I presume you are concerned about disciplinary action from your employer, so the 'good' news is that it's a lot more complicated when it comes to an employer using footage in a hearing when the employees have not been told that they may be recorded at work.

Yes they are concerned over disciplinary action. Is the footage allowed to be used at the hearing?

Can you please explain the lot more complicated part? thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I think their concern should be more about been under the influence in work rather than someone videoing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

First question would be whether there is any company policy about use of cameras at the workplace.

There are fairly stringent data protection requirements on employers who use CCTV in the workplace.

If the employer chooses to use video recorded by another staff member, that could open up a bit of a can of worms from a data protection point of view.

It might be relevant to know whether the person recording was a line manager, and whether they were using a work-supplied phone to do the recording.

If you're in a union, engage your union for support. If you're not in a union, you might want to think about joining a union for next time.

Could possibly be the case that they used a work phone and are definitely more senior in the workplace alright.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

In addition to the laws themselves there are the rules of evidence and judicial processes to consider. The video would have to be admitted in a context and in this case that would be the person who took the video giving evidence that they observed the event and took the video at that time. In other words they have an eye withness to the event and the video does not even need to be used.

And depending on the full details of the case, a solicitor might not want your friend to even acknowledge the existence of a video in such circumstances. Arguing over a video of an event you are claiming did not happen might not work out well.

Get proper legal advice and be very careful what you discuss on public media as it might well disclose the identity of your friend to people who may well be dealing with this situation.

If a complaint is made, it's gross misconduct and dismissal territory. Being drunk on the job isn't like knocking off five minutes early or sneaking a cigarette during your shift. Depending on the nature of the job, you're potentially putting yourself, colleagues or customers at risk, and certainly the reputation of the company.

If it came to a WRC hearing, I think the employer could make a strong case that it was critical to get all the available evidence and that his obligations to keep the workplace safe override the privacy concerns of the employee.

I'm going to assume these drinks weren't consumed in the course of an office Christmas lunch function.

Regardless of the outcome of any WRC process, the employer still has legal obligations under data protection legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Is a video enough to prove intoxication? Is there video or pics of a bottle of alcohol? An employer has to thread very carefully

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭kirving

Regardless of whether the video is admissible, or any data protection legislation surrounding its capture and storage, the person who was drinking on the job should get their CV up to date if drinking is proving to be an issue.

If it was working in a bar, or at some other social event though, different expectations would apply I think.

I did have one new employee order (and be served) a pint at lunch when we were on a work trip, they were told pretty quickly of the expectations of the company, but nothing more was said.

Yes, that is correct. But in this case, the employer did not collect or process the data (we don't even know if they've seen it yet) so it's a grey area at best in terms of their obligations.

Assuming the guy with the camera is not routinely recording people but only did so to record the misconduct, I don't think GDPR is going to save the offender.

As far as I know there are no photos of said alcohol or it being consumed. The person went home sick on the day in question aswell

Highlighting the GDPR issues may well cause the employer to think twice about using the video as part of the disciplinary process, which in turn may well have a significant impact on the outcome.

• Advertisement

If you were an employer, would you?

If I thought one of my staff was drunk on the job, I wouldn't let fear of GDPR get in the way. Let him chance his arm at the WRC, I'd argue that the data was legally obtained, proportionate, reasonable and limited in its scope, only held for as long as necessary and my obligations to my other staff obliged me to consider all available evidence.

I'd be pretty confident tbh. Even a few grand for a GDPR breach, I'd take that as an acceptable outcome. This isn't something that an employer can let slide.

The only reason I ask that is because I take medication which can make me drowsy and affect my speech so I could appear drunk so people should be careful before whipping the camera out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Does your manager know about that?

Have they done a risk assessment to make sure iit something they can safely accommodate? I can think of workplaces where just being sleepy would be an issue- and others where it wouldn't.

Your colleagues would need some information as part of the accommodation, so they don't jump to incorrect conclusions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Ok first off GDPR doesn't apply here. GDPR is about the processing of a person's information & the storage of the same by a business. Not one employee recording another.

Secondly, as someone who investigates whistleblower cases like these, we would use the video evidence if it was uploaded as part of the whistleblowing complaint. It could not be solely relied upon & a full investigation would have to take place but it can be used as part of it. If nothing else it can identify other potential witnesses who would be interviewed to get their understanding of what happened. Also it doesn't matter if it was recorded on a work phone or a personal phone either.

Most companies take a very dim view of being intoxicated in the workplace and while it might not be able to be proven too much after the fact, it may lead to a heavy formal warning going onto the employees file.

As for use of CCTV - if there is CCTV in the workplace anyway, it is perfectly allowable to access it in the case of an investigation into behaviour and this is allowed under it's usage. Now there should be stringent policies in place about who is allowed to access that and that a proper formal request is documented to review it but it is there to protect employees, which in this case would be those other than the alleged intoxicated person as that person could cause injury to another employee by being impaired.

If you're investigating whistleblower cases, you need to upskill yourself on GDPR urgently. GDPR would absolutely apply to the processing of data by the organisation, particularly when done by a manager using a corporate phone. If anyone in the business is processing the recording (and simply viewing the recording is considered to be processing), then GDPR applies. If the recording is stored on corporate networks or corporate devices, this would solidify the case that GDPR applies.

I specifically asked whether it was done by a line manager, and the OP answered that it was done by someone senior to the employee. This is NOT a peer-to-peer action, when it has been taken by a manager. It may well be that the recording was preplanned and organised by members of management, which is an action of the business.

If there is CCTV in the workplace, the CCTV recordings may ONLY BE USED for the purposes set out in the organisation's privacy policy which has been previously communicated to employees. There are many case studies on the DPC website where employers went beyond their own policies in using CCTV and got hammered as a result.

If the GDPR breach was going to cost you €15k, would it still be an acceptable outcome? How about €50k cost, given that GDPR fines can be done on a % of turnover basis.

We've only got one side of the story here. If there was email documentation showing that the recording of the individual without their knowledge and permission was preplanned in advance by people at management level, with zero consideration of the employee's data privacy rights, would you still go ahead with your firing?

Colleagues would need precisely zero information about their colleague. Revealing any such information to colleagues would be an absolute breach of employer confidentiality. If jumping to conclusions is a problem, then train your staff on not jumping to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Read what I said.

SOME information. Not detailed or even fully factual. Probably something like "X has an issue which causes him/her to appear sleepy sometimes. If this happens you should do xyz"

Because employees should absolutely not be tolerating their colleagues appearing to be drunk in the workplace. If someone sees and reports an apparently drunk employee on-site, and management say and do nothing, then it looks like it's allowed.

Everyone who needs to know are aware of my situation and all requirements have been looked at and I've been passed fit to work not that it's any of your concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Data privacy company needs to say they are using cameras and for what intention. Any video can only be used to support that actual intention.

they can’t use it for everything

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

To say that "X has an issue" is a breach of confidentiality. No one needs to know about X having issues except their line manager.

If employees are having difficulty in distinguishing between drunkenness, then you can train employees to either MYOB or report any concerns to the line manager, who will deal with the in complete confidence, and won't provide any feedback to the reporting employee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I'm well versed in it thanks. GDPR allows for the processing of the information if:

• The processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation, or
    • It is deemed to be a “legitimate interest” of the controller, company or third-party

Which does apply in the above. Now the number of people who see the information should be limited and in compliance with the GDPR policy within the business and also with the legislation. When it comes to whistleblowing cases where there is a legitimate risk to people (which can definitely happen is someone is intoxicated on site) then it can fall into the 2 categories above. The legal part as the employer is obligated to provide a safe environment for employees (which includes protecting them from accidents caused by someone who is not able to complete their duties) and also the legitimate interest part as it forms part of a whistleblower complaint which also is legal as you're legal obligated to investigate them.

I agree on the CCTV - the policy must be clear as to how and when this can be used but most companies will have it included in their CCTV policy that they can review in the event of a complaint. It must be a specific complaint & also with controls around who can see it as it could identify the whistleblower who is entitled to anonymity. CCTV can't be used for continuous monitoring of employees but again in this case, I'd say they'd be looking for corroboration of the phone video evidence.

Peer-to-peer doesn't count in whistleblowing - anyone is entitled to raise a complaint or concern about anyone else either anonymously or not regardless of level within the organisation and have it investigated. Also the recording on the phone isn't necessarily under corporate control as the phone is most likely available to the employee for outside corporate use so does fall into a more grey area than something like CCTV. Now if the employee is sharing that video amongst other employees, that can be a case against them too as that is not allowed.

The EU Whistelblower Directive which came into effect at the end of 2021 covers off on the right to process under GDPR and also the right of the company to not inform in the instance where there could be hinderance to the investigation until that risk is reduced. I'd recommend reading this to understand it: https://blog.complylog.com/whistleblowing/gdpr-and-whistleblowing

Advertisement