Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Coffee Business Using An Electric Cargo Bicycle

Options
  • 02-01-2024 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for some advice starting up this kind of business.

I've all the equipment I need to get going already, only I need to know where to start?

Do I need a trading licence, HSE cert, local permit, can I park my bike just about anywhere in any part of the country? Where and how do I apply for all these certs and is there a cost involved? What kind of insurance do I need?

Are there any business plans out there that I could take a look at online and get an idea of what I need?

Thank you so much for any help you can provide me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mikewebber

😂 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I've no idea what you need, but it sounds like a great idea. I would say each local council will have their own requirements. And your local rural development office or similar may be able to help with info.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mikewebber

Great idea ffs 😂people just make coffee when they need it or stop off at a garage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭wandererz

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Main thing will be a good busy location and they are not easy to find that are not already served. There can be good money in coffee but also huge competition between every shop and garage selling coffee as well as your standard coffee shops, pubs, restaurants and hotels.

Chap near me set up a drive thru takeaway coffee business in a shipping container placed next to a petrol station. Id guess he would need to sell 70+ coffees per day to make it worthwhile and from what I see I doubt he hits those numbers. Reckon it wont last till the summer.

If youre in Dublin you could look at going down the events route, pitching up near Croker, Lansdowne, the Point etc on event days could be a good money spinner. Lots of GAA and sports clubs too are busy on Saturdays with kids training while all the parents sit waiting.

Finally not sure if a cargo bike would work well for this. You'll need to be sheltered for when it starts lashing rain. A small van you can stand inside with a sheltered awning on the outside for your customers would be better otherwise you and them will get drenched. Plus on days like today customers wont stand in the rain and get wet to buy coffee, they'll just drive to a petrol station and get it there instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Park beside a big primary school, mornings and lunchtime. Give a cut of the turnover to the school. Win, win. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

It all comes down to operating in a public or private space.

You will need a council licence for day trade, and adhere to their designated locations , this is to prevent you operating outside of your local Costa or Starbucks.

However , operating on private land is a lot easier, one person near us setup in a pub car park , agreement with the publican and all necessary HAAP and Insurance too. Much easier route.

Advertisement