Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Any the elite 100 metres women in these 60 metres? U.S. and Jamaica?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Furlani fouls a huge jump

Women's 800m looks to be between these 3

Guduma looks a big threat

Reekie alemu guduma

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Murder in the men's 800. I can't see Crestan not getting DQed.

Think I'll get some coffee into me and stay up for the Tokyo Marathon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Gemma Reekie looked great. Would like to see her win in front of a home crowd.

Hope she didn’t expend too much energy winning the semi final. Think she wanted to send a message to the Ethiopians..

Looked that way

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Excited about this! Particularly because I'll be able to watch it tonight and won't have to find a replay tomorrow.

It seems to have gone very under the radar, I'd actually forgotten all about this race until the middle of this week. Hassan herself has been pretty quite about it too until the last few days. This'll be her last marathon before Paris, I wonder if she'll make a WR attempt? Don't know if the course is fast enough for it though.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Still gutted about Sarah Healy. I don't think it was anything mental, I think she saw Haylom was performing below par and thought "f*ck it, I'll go for the win" and bit off a bit more than she could chew. I mean, maybe she should've held back and just assured qualification instead, but I guess you'll never know unless you go for it. I'd rather she have a disaster at world indoors than the Olympics.

Also very disappointing what happened to Mawdsley. If she did break the rules than I suppose in theory it's fair, but the real issue here is the inconsistent application of said rules.

Some cracking races coming up tonight, Tsegay vs Muir should be a great one, and I expect Meshesha, Hailu and Jessica Hull to be in the mix too. Would be delighted to see Hull finally get her first medal, a great athlete who's constantly improving.

Men's 3k should be great, Nuguse, Kerr and Barega could be a fun one. Swoboda is in fantastic shape, can she medal and what colour will it be? Bol should win the 400m with her eyes closed, but could she get close to her own WR? Would love to see Klaver medal here too, and maybe even crack 50 for the first time.

• Advertisement

Haven't actually found one yet, but if I can't then I'll take out a one month subscription to the Eurosport player.

6.98 PB for Swoboda 🔥 Final should be good later!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Great 3000m. St Pierre was fantastic Muir never got into it at all.

St. Pierre out kicks Tsegay for the win, what a shock!

Horror show from Laura Muir.

Nothing against Kerr at all. But those 2 push's were worse that Mawdsley last night

Great run from Kerr, can't help but think the played into his hands though.

Yeah the Ethiopians should've done more to shake off Kerr. The Glasgow crowd won't be complaining though!

If Nuguse was a bit closer he could've challenged Kerr.

Race plate into Kerr's hands

The 1500m guys threat to him didn't materialise either

I thought Hocker would be closer as he has a good kick normally.

Wow wow Bol. Pure class. That's all

• Advertisement

Casual WR for Femke Bol 😎 Absolutely phenemonal.

Delighted for Klaver to get the silver!

Doom for Warbolm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭deisedude

Agree absolutely, they were 2 blatant pushes. Think he clipped someone too when moving suddenly to the outside lane

No just clipped, he put his hand out to in an attempt to obstruct someone over taking and getting ini n Front of him.

As someone pointed out, it's the inconsistent implementation of the rules. However I'd say Mawdsley would have been OK if there wasn't a protest logged, when it was logged the referee has to act

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭patob

Fabulous Femke strolls to another win and a WR, nice understated style and not your typical 400m champion.

To be fair to Muir, 8.29 is still a good time and she was training through this meet.

Still fifth in front of her home crowd is underwhelming. Great run by St. Pierre to outkick Tsegay. She’ll be a factor in Paris for sure. Shame Jessica Hull missed out on a medal.

She was imperious. Great to see a generational talent like her who actually enjoys competing. It will be some show down with McLaughlin in Paris, assuming the latter runs the 400m hurdles.

Great to see Klaver finally win a global medal too. The Dutch could challenge the Americans in the 4x400m relay if their third and fourth runners (Peeters, Saalberg, DeWitte) can step it up a bit outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'm assuming Femke isn't considering doubling the 400mh and flat 400m in the Olympics? There's only an hour between both races on day 5. Does she get any kind of a 'buy' in the early qualifying rounds for taking gold in the World Champs?

Cathal Dennehy asked her in a post-race interview she would consider running the 400m in Paris. Unfortunately, it was an immediate no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hocker is in the 1500m.

The second yank was Olin Hacker.

Advertisement