Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

That Kenyan woman that broke the 10k road record would she be doing something?

If ya look at the men from 100m -10,000m

The records are pretty much all out of reach ATM

Women 100m -1500m all out of reach too

That only leaves women's 5000m and 10,000m if they're even doable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

I think if we've learnt anything in the last year or two it's that no record is out of reach anymore, they seem to be falling like flies 🤷

Personally looking forward to seeing some exciting races this year. The main Irish medal hopeful has to be Rhasidat Adeleke but lots of others with potential to be involved at the pointy end certainly in heats, semis and even finals including Ciara Mageehan, Sarah Lavin and Sarah Healy. I'm sure there's plenty of others too those just spring to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I think Ciara Mageean is probably our strongest track medal hope. She's already won multiple senior international medals, she's been a global finalist twice, including fourth last year, and crucially has previous Olympic experience. At the age of 31, this is likely her final shot, so she will be incredibly motivated.

She always comes across so well in interviews. I'd love to see her finish her career with hardware from the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Wouldn't it be just amazing. Agree with you 100%, she comes across really well in interviews and it'd be a fantastic grand finale for her. The women's 1500 is just so competitive at the moment. Either way I think we have potential for some some exciting races this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

There are a few Irish lads competing Boston this evening. As far as I'm aware. Fay, Coscoran, English, Colbert and possibly 1/2 others are down to race.

Excuse my ignorance, but who's Colbert? Did you mean Luke McCann by any chance?

No ignorance at all. Harry Colbert. He's a junior that trains with Dublin Track club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Fair play.

How much were tickets as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

Super weekend for T.A.C.

Last weekend was indeed a super weekend for Tallaght Athletics Club with several athletes producing excellent performances at venues at home and abroad.

Rhasidat Adeleke kicked off the new year in style with two outstanding performances at the Martin Luther King Jr. Collegiate Invitational in Albuquerque where she lowered her own 

National records for the 60m from 7.17 to 7.15 and the 200m from 22.52 to 22.49.

Sean Aigboboh was also in superb form at the National U20/U23 National Championships in Athlone where he equaled the U20 60m National record of 6.84 which was set by club mate Israel Olatunde in 2021.

The weekend got even better for the club on Day 1 of the Dublin Juvenile Indoor Championships in the National Indoor Arena in Abbotstown, where the club’s young sprinters claimed 5 of the 8 200m titles on offer on the day. The winners on the day included Abdullahi Adeleke, younger brother of Rhasidat who stormed to victory in the U16 200m with a time of 23:85 with Kamal Oresanya taking bronze (25.19).

Brianna Dwyer Carty was another who stormed to victory in the U17 200m with almost a second to spare over her nearest rival and Dubem Amah took the boys U17 200m title with an excellent time of 22.70 and he also took the long jump title with a superb jump of 6.15m.

Gloria Oigbochie clocked 25.72 when claiming the U18 200m title with Joanna Shodipo taking bronze in 26.66, while Uche Disu took the U19 200m title in 26.02 with Hazel Jordan finishing 4th (26.93).

Others who competed in Abbotstown, included Beauty Ikpefua who won bronze in the U16 shot putt with a throw of 7.93m and she also contested the U16 200m heats with Olivia Groome where they recorded times of 29.89 and 30.14 respectively in the U16 200m heats, Conor McGann U16 200m heat (30.50), Matilda Porcu finished 2nd U17 200m heat (28.37), Amy Casey U17 60m hurdles, and Olivia Tyrell who recorded a time of 29.57 the U19 200m heats.

Several other athletes who also competed in Athlone included, Charlie Mooney who recorded a time of 24.47 when finishing 3rd in his U20 200m heat, Carlotta Malaga Moran who recorded a time of 8.15 in her heat of the U23 60m, while David Aigboboh recorded a time of 7.29 when finishing 5th in his U23 heat. Godwin Mathias recorded a time of 50.72 when finishing 4th in the U23 400m final, and Cormac Dixon in his first track outing since May of 2023 recorded a time of 3:55.94 when finishing 6th in the U20 1500m.

The previous weekend at the National Indoor League in Athlone, Gloria Oigbochie and Ellie Carruth recorded times of 8.03and 8.28 respectively when finishing 2nd and 3rd in their 60m (G) heat, while Joanna Shodipo Carlotta Malaga Moran recorded times of 8.10 and 8.20 in their heats in the same series.

Joseph Ojewumi recorded a time of 6.89, Sean Aigboboh 6.90, Simon Essuman 7.08 and David Aigboboh 7.23 in thir 60m contests.

There will be plenty to look forward to when many of the clubs young athletes contest Day 2 & 3 of the Dublin Juvenile Indoor Championships in Abbotstown on the 3rd and 4th of February

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

So far I've bought two morning sessions and two medal sessions, both of which came to a total of around €700 or so. I plan on buying another full day's worth of tickets, so I reckon I'll have spent over a grand on tickets alone when all is said and done, but well worth it imo considering it's the last time the Olympics will be so close to ireland until at least 2036.

New Irish record 5000m indoor of 13.12 for Coscoran with Fay running 13.17 which was 1 second outside the previous record that he held.

New Irish indoor 5000m record for Andrew Coscoran in Boston last night. 13:12.

He’s in decent shape at this early stage of the season.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

First Indoor Gold event of the year now live from Astana

Nothing too exciting here I think, but I'll be keeping an eye on Welteji in the mile, think a fast time could be on there.

I think Sophie O Sullivan is also competing there. Could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Sophie is down to run in Washington?

Also, Sarah Lavin opened up with a PB of 7.93 this morning in Astana.

Seems like Boston is the place to go with plenty of good performances, both Irish and non-Irish, last night.

http://live.lancertiming.com/meets/193/events

Sarah Lavin improved her PB to 7.91 in the final, finishing an excellent third behind Amusan and Nia Ali. Good start to the season for her.

Sophie Becker also ran a solid 53:19, finishing second in her season opener over 400m. Would like to see her getting down into the low 52s before Glasgow if possible.

Ah right. I heard during the week that she might be running there.

Great to see the that lads running so well right from the start of the year

Molly Scott opened up with a decent 7.38 over 60m in Aarhus today.

Great to see her back competing after a couple of years inhibited by injury. Her indoor 60m PB is 7.19, so hopefully scope for significant steps forward this indoor season.

• Advertisement

Molly ran in Abbotstown today. Aarhus was last week.

Aarhus was earlier this week, where she ran 7.38.

Do you what time she ran today? If yes, what was it?

7.43, 7.47, 8.48, 8.41

The latter two over the hurdles.

Few more Irish results from Boston.

1 mile

Paul Robinson 3.57.11,

Oisin O Gailin 3.58.2 (Finn Valley)

Shane Bracken 3.58.5 (Swinford/DTC)

Ronan McMahon-Staggs ran 3:54.61 tonight in Seattle. Sophie O'S ran 4:35 at the same meet.

It's very impressive how many Irish are going sub 4 minutes at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Wottle

Is it though, it appears everyone in the US is going sub 4. I think 3'50 is the new barometer?

That thought also crossed my mind as I was typing the comment.

I'll rephrase that to, it's some what impressive 😉🤣

The times have changed alright. Much faster now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

do u mean two morning sessions were 700 and two medal sessions were 700, or do you mean total of the four sessions was 700?

Advertisement