Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds singing at 1am??

Options
  • 31-12-2023 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

There are a number of trees near my house with birds nesting in them.

I’m hearing birds singing at 1am is this a common thing? I can’t say I noticed it before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭lucalux

Maybe you'd be best off recording what you can hear and posting it up here?

Also idk if you know about the app Merlin, it's a bit like Shazam for bird song/calls, you could try using that to identify the singing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Most likely a Robin or Blackbird singing at that hour. Usually street lights nearby tricks them into thinking it's brighter than it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ottolwinner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Where I work there's a lot of outside lights and by 2am I can hear blackbird and definitely a Robin chirping away.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Funny I was just thinking same last night while I was on my night shift.

I have been out often during the night recently, between 1am and 4am, and there is always birds chirping. And its always dark.

Began to wonder was this always a thing, birds being awake during the night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

@ottolwinner

Are you in an urban environment with streetlights around you that are on all night?

And/or are you close to a big city or town?

Post edited by wandererz on

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Danny healy ray

the Robin will sing night or day if he is well feed maybe a food bin went upside down in the storm and the little lad filled himself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I've noticed itmost if the nights here.

We've 8/9 feeding things at home dangling from our trees. Absolutely love watching Robina starlings house sparrows finches tits blackbirds and even the crows feeding.😁

Advertisement